Yeah, it's pretty much what you expect from the title. Here, take a look at these screenshots:
See also: the followup video.
- Do you have a large, late-game megabase and wish there were more cool things you could build? Do you wish you could do more with the rockets you launch? Do you really hate biters? If so, then this mod is for you!
Build a giant ion cannon and launch it into orbit with a rocket, wait for it to charge up, and then you're ready to call down the thunder on those pesky aliens.
Simply click anywhere with your targeting device and watch the total annihilation ensue. Just be sure not to call it down too close to your position, or you could end up caught in the blast zone.
If you've played the Command & Conquer series of games (if not, go download them, the classic ones are freeware), you're bound to recognize several features similar to the GDI's Ion Cannons.
- Name: Orbital Ion Cannon
- Latest Release: v1.7.1, March 20, 2019
- Factorio Version: 0.17.16
- License: MIT License
- Author: Supercheese
- Github: https://github.com/Suprcheese/Orbital-Ion-Cannon
This mod allows you to build and launch ion cannons into orbit that you can then fire at any location on the map. You can be caught in the blast if you aim it too close by, so please exercise caution.
You can click on the button added at the top of your screen to check on the status of your ion cannons in orbit.
Launching additional ion cannons allows you to fire whenever one is finished charging.
If you like, you can even automate the destruction of enemy nests by researching Auto-Targeting, which will utilize your radars to scan for enemy nests and automatically fire an ion cannon.
This mod is aware of Bob's mods and will update its recipes and technology requirements if Bob's Warfare and/or Bob's Power mods are installed.
This mod also has configuration options available through the in-game mod options menu (Options -> Mods). There you may adjust many parameters of the mod and customize it as you see fit.
See the bundled readme for more details and credits.
I've considered a couple possibilities for future development, if there's interest:
- With the release of Factorio 0.15 comes nuclear power. Should ion cannons now be powered by a nuclear reactor...?
- Different types of orbital weaponry? Kinetic projectiles? Missiles?
- Keep track of how many times each ion cannon has been fired? This would just be a statistic, not really sure if it's worth it.
- De-orbit ion cannons after they are fired enough times? This would require you to keep launching new ones to replace the old ones...but honestly by the time you can afford to fire off a dozen of these puppies you've got enough resources that this wouldn't be a problem