Remember these things from Command & Conquer? I know I sure do...
Yeah, it's pretty much what you expect from the title. Here, take a look at these screenshots:
Xterminator also made a great Mod Spotlight video about this mod.
See also: the followup video.
- Do you have a large, late-game megabase and wish there were more cool things you could build? Do you wish you could do more with the rockets you launch than just increment a single number? Do you really hate biters? If so, then this mod is for you!
- Name: Orbital Ion Cannon
- Latest Release: v1.4.5, October 21, 2016
- Factorio Version: 0.14.14
- License: MIT License
- Author: Supercheese
- Github: https://github.com/Suprcheese/Orbital-Ion-Cannon
Build a giant ion cannon and launch it into orbit with a rocket, wait for it to charge up, and then you're ready to call down the thunder on those pesky aliens.
Simply click anywhere with your targeting device and watch the total annihilation ensue. Just be sure not to call it down too close to your position, or you could end up caught in the blast zone.
If you've played the Command & Conquer series of games (if not, go download them, the classic ones are freeware), you're bound to recognize several features similar to the GDI's Ion Cannons.
This mod allows you to build and launch ion cannons into orbit that you can then fire at any location on the map. While there is a check to stop you from firing it directly on top of your position, you can be caught in the blast if you aim it too close by, so please exercise caution.
You can click on the button added at the top of your screen to check on the status of your ion cannons in orbit.
Launching additional ion cannons allows you to fire whenever one is finished charging.
If you'd like to, you can even automate the destruction of enemy nests by researching and building Auto-Targeting Stations, which will periodically scan for enemy nests and automatically fire an ion cannon if it detects one.
This mod is aware of Bob's mods and will update its recipes and technology requirements if Bob's Warfare and/or Bob's Power mods are installed.
This mod also has configuration options available in config.lua. Here you may adjust many parameters of the mod and customize it as you see fit.
If you like what you see here, you should also check out my Satellite Uplink Station mod, as it was designed to accompany this mod and provide added functionality.
See the readme for more details and credits.
You can adjust the values in config.lua if you feel the ion cannons need balancing. Of course, I welcome any further suggestions for improvement, or bug reports; please post them here.
I've considered a couple possibilities for future development, if there's interest:
- Different types of orbital weaponry? Kinetic projectiles? Missiles?
- Currently the ion cannon is extremely accurate. Perhaps introduce a bit of inaccuracy if it needs balancing?
- Keep track of how many times each ion cannon has been fired? This would just be a statistic, not really sure if it's worth it.
- De-orbit ion cannons after they are fired enough times? This would require you to keep launching new ones to replace the old ones...but honestly by the time you can afford to fire off a dozen of these puppies you've got enough resources that this wouldn't be a problem
Anyway, you should have a good time blowing all those biter bases to kingdom come. What are you waiting for, start your assembly machines and get to launching!