Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

[MOD 0.12.11+] Burner Generator

Post by Klonan »

**Updated Burner generator available as part of the KS Power mod**

Type: Mod
Name: Burner Generator
Description: Adds a burner powered electric generation option - doesnt require water - Now with technology (0.2.0)
License:Ask me
Version: 0.2.4
Release:2015/08/20
Tested-With-Factorio-Version: 0.12.8
Category: Wall
Tags: Early game, burner, electricity
Latest Release:
Burner_Generator_0.2.6.zip
--Fixed blueprints with burner generators in
(32.21 KiB) Downloaded 6961 times
Pics
Long description
Comparison to boiler ~> steam engine

1 coal in the burner generator produces 2.8MJ of power
1 coal in boiler ~> steam produces 4MJ of power
So overall the generator is 70% as efficient as using boilers and steam engines

Let me know down in the comment any bugs, suggestions irritations or complimentations.
Old releases
Last edited by Klonan on Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:40 pm, edited 15 times in total.

Kayser
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.12.x] Burner Generator

Post by Kayser »

Awsome. I'm gonna test it.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

How efficient is this, relative to the Boiler/Steam Engine setup?

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Peter34 wrote:How efficient is this, relative to the Boiler/Steam Engine setup?
Alright so normal boilers are 50% efficient and normal steam engines are 100% efficient, so total efficiency is 50%, ie, for 1 piece of coal you can 50% of its energy as electricity.

This generator works at roughly 32% efficiency, so 18% less efficient than a regular boiler/engine setup

Kayser
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Kayser »

Haven't had time to test this yet, but does it use Autofill (https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =92&t=1612) if available?

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Kayser wrote:Haven't had time to test this yet, but does it use Autofill (https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =92&t=1612) if available?
Im not very experience with mod interfaces, but i think you can do it by loading the game with both mods enabled and typing this in the console:

Code: Select all

/c remote.call("af", "insertset", "", "burner-generator", {priority=1, {"coal","raw-wood","solid-fuel"}})
let me know if this works or not :]

Kayser
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Kayser »

Klonan wrote:

/c remote.call("af", "insertset", "", "burner-generator", {priority=1, {"coal","raw-wood","solid-fuel"}})
That worked. Would be nice if it was auto-executed, though. Can I write this command into the mod somehow?

Also, there seems to be a slight issue with the placement. It's possible to place it so that it covers objects above it:

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Kayser wrote:
Klonan wrote:

That worked. Would be nice if it was auto-executed, though. Can I write this command into the mod somehow?

Also, there seems to be a slight issue with the placement. It's possible to place it so that it covers objects above it:
Yep, you can place it like that :P
Its only a graphical irk, it will still function, maybe i will work on a way to prevent that from happening.

I wrote a quick new control.lua for you, im not 100% sure it will work once again, but it should.

Just delete the current control.lua and replace it with this one:
control.lua
(4.04 KiB) Downloaded 454 times

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Burner Generator

Post by Airat9000 »

I have an idea
1) make the technology to open
2) make more generators with an increase in power
3) technology for each generator

Wyrm
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Wyrm »

Klonan wrote:
Kayser wrote:Haven't had time to test this yet, but does it use Autofill (https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =92&t=1612) if available?
Im not very experience with mod interfaces, but i think you can do it by loading the game with both mods enabled and typing this in the console:

let me know if this works or not :]
You can use remote.interfaces to discover if autofill is installed and functioning. If it is, remote.interfaces.af and remote.interfaces.af.insertset will be defined (not nil). Checking for both of those before you make a remote.call will ensure correct behavior.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

I have updated the mod with a revised system for handling the fluid stuff... should fix
Kayser wrote:
Also, there seems to be a slight issue with the placement. It's possible to place it so that it covers objects above it
and overall make the mod more congruent in the game.

Hope you all enjoy!

Any issues, bugs etc. let me know

Ps i tried adding the remote.call for autofill for the mod, but kept getting an error any which way i tried it, unless i entered it in the ingame console...

hitzu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hitzu »

Do you want to make this mod a little bit more complex by moving steam based stuff higher in the tech tree and making offshore pumps electricity dependent?

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

hitzu wrote:Do you want to make this mod a little bit more complex by moving steam based stuff higher in the tech tree and making offshore pumps electricity dependent?
Yep, I might do that at some point integrating a lot of my 'burner stuff' mods into a larger pack, adding my own tech tree progression among other things :P

But for now it will work just a auxiliary way to make power, good for train stations and things, its not very good for trying to power and entire factory with it

Kayser
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Kayser »

hitzu wrote:Do you want to make this mod a little bit more complex by moving steam based stuff higher in the tech tree and making offshore pumps electricity dependent?
You can't do that without providing a way to generate power for the research. But it's a good idea, and I would suggest that the burner generator should have no technology requirement.

However, if you fix that and then add an entity that pumps water out of the ground, you can add a map option 'No (visible) water'. You are forced to get your power from burner generators until you have the technology to build wells and get water that way.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Looking at the code, I don't see how you cleanup removed burner generators. It looks like they stay in the table forever, presumably using computer resources.
However, I am only familiar with JASS (Warcraft 3 Script) and mildly familier with C++, and unlike either LUA says it has some level of garbage collection. However, I don't really know how that works, if it even works here. Does it get classified as garbage when the pot and lid units stop existing for whatever reason, and eventually deletes them from the table, as well as shifting downwards the table?
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Ranakastrasz wrote:Looking at the code, I don't see how you cleanup removed burner generators. It looks like they stay in the table forever, presumably using computer resources.
However, I am only familiar with JASS (Warcraft 3 Script) and mildly familier with C++, and unlike either LUA says it has some level of garbage collection. However, I don't really know how that works, if it even works here. Does it get classified as garbage when the pot and lid units stop existing for whatever reason, and eventually deletes them from the table, as well as shifting downwards the table?
They stay in the table forever, but im not sure if it makes any large amount of performace issue, since there is a check 3 lines into the check_pots function to check if they are valid, if not the function ends

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Klonan wrote:
Ranakastrasz wrote:Looking at the code, I don't see how you cleanup removed burner generators. It looks like they stay in the table forever, presumably using computer resources.
They stay in the table forever, but im not sure if it makes any large amount of performace issue, since there is a check 3 lines into the check_pots function to check if they are valid, if not the function ends
I realize that, but I was a bit more concerned that it could result in the table getting larger and larger. That it has to do a large loop each gametick is something to avoid, especially if it keeps growing, but it isn't a large amount of work compared to other gametick loops i've seen (and written)
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Ranakastrasz wrote:
Klonan wrote:
I realize that, but I was a bit more concerned that it could result in the table getting larger and larger. That it has to do a large loop each gametick is something to avoid, especially if it keeps growing, but it isn't a large amount of work compared to other gametick loops i've seen (and written)
You're right,

I've updated the mod to include a removal of the non-valid pots from the global.pot table

:D

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Kayser wrote:
You can't do that without providing a way to generate power for the research. But it's a good idea, and I would suggest that the burner generator should have no technology requirement.

However, if you fix that and then add an entity that pumps water out of the ground, you can add a map option 'No (visible) water'. You are forced to get your power from burner generators until you have the technology to build wells and get water that way.

I think you raised a really good point.

I've removed the technology requirement, this opens it up to be used instead of water based power, and can be used on maps where there is no water

I've updated the mod :P

hitzu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hitzu »

Sorry for offtopic, but maybe you could make a very lowtech (wood and iron) windmill as a weak and unstable but working all the day power source? Also it could be a source of the underground water. For the sake of the balance this water can have lower temperature.

Return to “Mods”