Role playing direction

Give feedback on topics proposed by the developers.
Hanse00
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:07 pm

Re: Role playing direction

Post by Hanse00 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:40 pm

I prefer RTS over RPG :P People are different that way.

I agree that this game has something very unique, more RPG could ruin that for me, so either I would avoid adding too much, or add separate modes so you can play the way you like the most.

User avatar
Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 848
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:13 am

Re: Role playing direction

Post by Nova » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:27 pm

Maybe implement this, but only a small amount please. Leveling the character shouldn't be powerful in my opinion.
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of. Image

orbito
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 57
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:19 pm

Re: Role playing direction

Post by orbito » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:06 pm

MatLaPatate wrote:
MF- wrote:
Xisuma wrote:Adding RPG elements to this game could take away from the unique gaming experience we have atm. It doesn't introduce anything we haven't seen before and would get in the way of doing what you want to do in this game which is manage resource flow and ensemble machines. If you want to add another dimension to the game i recommend something that compliments what you already have. My personal opinion is that the character is kinda unnecessary atm. This game could almost be played with that command and conquer style interface.
same here.
I'm not entirely disagreing but ... I think the game should be both RTS and RPG. Just makes it 2 different modes. That's just not the same way you want to play the game: a RPG system would be for player wanting to play something closer than Minecraft, and RTS for those that really want to play something original. And don't forget TD for the coop mode ^^
In most RPGs, the leveling system is unrealistic and actually kind of silly.

Leveling works in games that have "magic", but not so well in games that are centered around scientific research. In real life, you don't gain power through doing arbitrary things. Leveling never should have been added to Minecraft, because it distracts from the core game-play (and the way it's implemented is pretty stupid). But I'd be OK with the idea of an exercise game-mechanic, wherein you gain levels of fitness that increase your health, speed and strength by doing physical exercise. For example, say you chop down a bunch of trees, this increases your muscle strength, making you faster, stronger and more able to take damage. I also suggested enemies drop technology in the form of alien Science Packs. But a full D&D style leveling system would be a terrible idea for Factorio.

In Factorio you gain power through research, which is more challenging and more interesting.

MatLaPatate
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:25 pm

Re: Role playing direction

Post by MatLaPatate » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:46 am

orbito wrote: Leveling works in games that have "magic", but not so well in games that are centered around scientific research. In real life, you don't gain power through doing arbitrary things. Leveling never should have been added to Minecraft, because it distracts from the core game-play (and the way it's implemented is pretty stupid). But I'd be OK with the idea of an exercise game-mechanic, wherein you gain levels of fitness that increase your health, speed and strength by doing physical exercise. For example, say you chop down a bunch of trees, this increases your muscle strength, making you faster, stronger and more able to take damage. I also suggested enemies drop technology in the form of alien Science Packs. But a full D&D style leveling system would be a terrible idea for Factorio.

In Factorio you gain power through research, which is more challenging and more interesting.
Agreed. (No way to score this answer, so I'm just posting to say "+1" ^^)

User avatar
FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1266
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:26 am

Re: Role playing direction

Post by FreeER » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:29 pm

MatLaPatate wrote:Agreed. (No way to score this answer, so I'm just posting to say "+1" ^^)
Too bad the forum dosen't have a 'thanks for saying what i wanted to say but didn't have the words to say myself' button next to quote. I'd have used it :)
<I'm really not active any more so these may not be up to date>
~FreeER=Factorio Modding
- Factorio Wiki
- My Factorio Modding Guide
- Wiki Modding Guide
Feel free to pm me :)
Or drop into #factorio on irc.esper.net

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1235
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:07 am

Re: Role playing direction

Post by MF- » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:23 pm

FreeER wrote:
MatLaPatate wrote:Agreed. (No way to score this answer, so I'm just posting to say "+1" ^^)
Too bad the forum dosen't have a 'thanks for saying what i wanted to say but didn't have the words to say myself' button next to quote. I'd have used it :)
"+1" to that :)

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 1838
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:51 pm

Re: Role playing direction

Post by slpwnd » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:27 pm

FreeER wrote: Too bad the forum dosen't have a 'thanks for saying what i wanted to say but didn't have the words to say myself' button next to quote. I'd have used it
Is there any good solution for that via phpBB ?

ficolas
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1068
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:24 am

Re: Role playing direction

Post by ficolas » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:42 pm

There are phbBB mods, that add spoilers (that would be cool too :) ) so I guess there are for +1 too
Edit: +1 https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2144542
Spoiler: https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=691145

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1235
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:07 am

Re: Role playing direction

Post by MF- » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:07 pm

ficolas wrote:There are phbBB mods, that add spoilers (that would be cool too :) ) so I guess there are for +1 too
Edit: +1 https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2144542
Spoiler: https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=691145
That does not seem to be the "+1" I had in mind.
"Like"ing forum posts makes very little sense from my point of view.
|
The "+1" I had in mind was the forum-style "Thanks for writing my thoughts down for me".
Edit: Real +1: https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=1690905

Spoilers? sure, that could be useful.

It would be also nice if I could somehow deprioritize/hide certain active modding threads from the "show all unread posts" page.
EDIT2: SmartFeed might do, it would allow me to split the Modding subforum from the rest in a RSS reader
( https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=1726785 )

SilverWarior
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 559
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:23 am

Re: Role playing direction

Post by SilverWarior » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:46 am

I myself see Factorio more as strategical game rather than some RPG game.
But if developers do trhink that adding some RPG elements could make this game more interesting and maybe even atract some RPG lovers I would recomend next:
Simply add some aditional stats to your character. Player should be able to improve theese stats by performing certain tasks.
For instance player character has "Crafting" stat which determines how fast can player craft items. More items the player craft by himself more the stat imptove.
Another stat which could be usefull is "Strenght" which would determine of how much items can player carry. Right now the player could gary for several tons woth of material which is not even near realistic. This could improve by doing fitnes (running).
I think it would be nice if the character would also have stat for "Acuracy" which would determine how acurate are players shots. Naturaly this will improve with shooting. It could even be posible to include secondarry "Acuracy" which would affect the acuracy using certin weapon or weapon type to add a bit more depth.

Anywhay as I sad before I would rather see increase in strategical part of the game (more item and structures, better computer AI, etc)

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1235
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:07 am

Re: Role playing direction

Post by MF- » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:38 pm

SilverWarior wrote:I myself see Factorio more as strategical game rather than some RPG game.
But if developers do trhink that adding some RPG elements could make this game more interesting and maybe even atract some RPG lovers I would recomend next:
Simply add some aditional stats to your character. Player should be able to improve theese stats by performing certain tasks.
For instance player character has "Crafting" stat which determines how fast can player craft items. More items the player craft by himself more the stat imptove.
Another stat which could be usefull is "Strenght" which would determine of how much items can player carry. Right now the player could gary for several tons woth of material which is not even near realistic. This could improve by doing fitnes (running).
I think it would be nice if the character would also have stat for "Acuracy" which would determine how acurate are players shots. Naturaly this will improve with shooting. It could even be posible to include secondarry "Acuracy" which would affect the acuracy using certin weapon or weapon type to add a bit more depth.

Anywhay as I sad before I would rather see increase in strategical part of the game (more item and structures, better computer AI, etc)
"+1".
Sounds all good to me.
Crafting gradually improves my crafting speed, being allowed to improve my speed or inventory capacity.

ficolas
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1068
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:24 am

Re: Role playing direction

Post by ficolas » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:41 pm

And maybe a stat that makes your player regen faster, that is gained when the player gets hit.

Dakkanor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 243
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:18 am

Re: Role playing direction

Post by Dakkanor » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:15 am

SilverWarior wrote:I myself see Factorio more as strategical game rather than some RPG game.
For instance player character has "Crafting" stat which determines how fast can player craft items. More items the player craft by himself more the stat imptove.
Another stat which could be usefull is "Strenght" which would determine of how much items can player carry. Right now the player could gary for several tons woth of material which is not even near realistic. This could improve by doing fitnes (running).
I think it would be nice if the character would also have stat for "Acuracy" which would determine how acurate are players shots. Naturaly this will improve with shooting. It could even be posible to include secondarry "Acuracy" which would affect the acuracy using certin weapon or weapon type to add a bit more depth.
well i kinda thought that each stack was in a form of digitized storage, and so instead of "strength" to upgrade inventory it could be"Digital Storage"

mostly im thinking that the player would need to have something along the lines of an omni-tool to process everything, which is how they turn iron plates into gears and machinery,
also with the omni-tool idea it gives more room for logical upgrades (construction speed is related to the servo quality ect)

upgrades to the tool would make more sense than stats to me. accuracy and range could all be affected by the omni-tool's programs and hardware

other parts could be servo suits (which would improve movement speed and possibly mining speed ect. possibly also giving more equipment slots for advanced tools (like repair equipment and sheild units)

there is huge room for creativity while keeping a logical buildup

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1235
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:07 am

Re: Role playing direction

Post by MF- » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:58 am

Dakkanor wrote: well i kinda thought that each stack was in a form of digitized storage, and so instead of "strength" to upgrade inventory it could be"Digital Storage"

mostly im thinking that the player would need to have something along the lines of an omni-tool to process everything, which is how they turn iron plates into gears and machinery,
also with the omni-tool idea it gives more room for logical upgrades (construction speed is related to the servo quality ect)

upgrades to the tool would make more sense than stats to me. accuracy and range could all be affected by the omni-tool's programs and hardware

other parts could be servo suits (which would improve movement speed and possibly mining speed ect. possibly also giving more equipment slots for advanced tools (like repair equipment and sheild units)

there is huge room for creativity while keeping a logical buildup
@ Digital storage: I don't understand why some people want to pretend that you can compress a piece of stone with ZIP.

@ Omnitool.
Hmm.. But wouldn't that simply get you some sort of exoskeleton?
The only difference would be leveling up the exoskeleton instead of yourself (and names of the stats)

ficolas
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1068
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:24 am

Re: Role playing direction

Post by ficolas » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:58 am

+1 to the digital storeage and +1 to the multitool, but in my opinion, the digital storeage should be unlocked with endgame or near endgame researchs.

Nope zip doesnt conpress much :p something moar than zip.

Dakkanor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 243
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:18 am

Re: Role playing direction

Post by Dakkanor » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:12 pm

MF- wrote:
Dakkanor wrote: ......
@ Digital storage: I don't understand why some people want to pretend that you can compress a piece of stone with ZIP.

@ Omnitool.
Hmm.. But wouldn't that simply get you some sort of exoskeleton?
The only difference would be leveling up the exoskeleton instead of yourself (and names of the stats)
the main point of me putting it like this so that upgrades make a bit more sense, so instead of mysteriously getting stronger after spending some arbitrary cost, the upgrades and skills are explained by being hardware and software upgrades.

as for the digital storage it was my way of explaining how a single man can fit thousands of tonnes of stone in his pocket and not die....


the player survived an uncontrolled crash landing, is capable of mining productively with only a pick axe, and can spend large amounts of time in heavy construction working on his factory, the simple fact is that i see this guy as being the peak of human capability already, how can he get stronger in a believable fashion without using steroids?

mass effect bothered me somewhat because of this, Lvl 1 Shepard is supposed to be complete bad-ass already but can barely aim straight, and then by doing a simple action he SHOULD have done so many times a little more wouldn't matter he gets better by a stupid amount.....


anyways, some things (like the digitizer) could only turn up in game as flavor text. sure in this game reality has no hold, but with some hand-wave explanation it could add just that little bit of depth to the entire game

andzoak
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:19 pm

Re: Role playing direction

Post by andzoak » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:28 am

I think that any upgrades of character should be made by productiono of complex tools, exoskeletons etc. This way will keep character of the game and will be motivation to improve production.

There could be omni-tool not olny to speed up production, but also to give posibility to make more advanced things. So we don't need olny tech to make something, but also tool to make it. The better omni-tool the more advanced things we will made by hand.

I think that the same way could be used to make exoskeletons. At the begginning we have little bagpack, but when we build enhanced legs, then we can be faster and carry more. Next step is to make full exoskeleton, then we can carry and use massive weapons. This full exoskeleton gives as a better armor too.

At the end we can make big robot like in Supreme Commander.

In my opinnion the best way is strategic one plus some additions of RPG based on that what I said before

----edit----
This can be made without adding new slots ;) Better tools can be insertet in the place of picaxe and batter exoskeleton in the place of armor ;)

Vatticson
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:27 pm

Re: Role playing direction

Post by Vatticson » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:57 pm

Let me think... gaining exp building certain things?

I hope you don´t pretend that my assembly machines gives me constant xp per time without me doing nothing :D

Tbh, when i first saw this RPG thread, i felt it like it´s not something that fits this game. I like the guy with his technologies atm.

Wardiaper
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:44 am

Re: Role playing direction

Post by Wardiaper » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:20 am

I personally love RPG elements. I think it extends a single playthrough. I love the game the way it is now, but it's almost too easy to just start over because you don't have to worry about losing your leveled up characters (I start over all the time just learning the game right now).

I also like the idea of leveling up equipment like turrets and assembly machines. Not into some overpowered machine, but maybe a furnace can be upgraded to a 10% boost to iron plates but not copper (or the other way around). The turret maybe you could upgrade it's firing speed, accuracy, or have a limit on how much ammo it can hold and upgrade that amount. Also, limit each machine to 1 or 2 different upgrades that can each be upgraded a few times (like faster iron processing in 10%, 15%, 20% increments).

andzoak
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:19 pm

Re: Role playing direction

Post by andzoak » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:14 pm

I don't like to add something like xp. I think everything should be upgraded by making more advanced tools/machinery. We don't need perks to speed of melting, we need better furnaces etc.

Locked

Return to “Development Proposals”