Mod filename rules for 0.10.7 and later

Looking for a mod? Have a review on a mod you'd like to share?
Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Mod filename rules for 0.10.7 and later

Post by Rseding91 »

bobingabout wrote:I still think that the version number should be optional as it is now, but if it requires double loading, I can see why its a transition to mandatory.
I personally like the required numbers. When someone gives you a screenshot of their mods folder you can see exactly what version they're running and not need to have them open individual folders/files to read numbers.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I was personally thinking about my working mods. I often work on a folder with an unknown version number, could be 0.6.2, or 0.7.0, I don't know yet, which it will be will likely be determined by how much I add to the mod, all the while the .json file will still say 0.6.1, so the folder will just be called "bobplates", when I release it I would zip up bobplates into the file bobplates_0.6.2.zip or bobplates_0.7.0.zip.

As said, it would be nice, but it's only a little extra work to change folder names as you change the version number.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

starxplor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starxplor »

FreeER wrote:
starxplor wrote:What is with all the zip file name stuff, the zip file is for backup, and unzipped directory goes in the mods directory?
given proper naming of the mod zip, folder, and information given in the info.json, Factorio is capable of loading the mod from the zip, no need to unzip it. My guess as to the file name requirements is conformity (multiple reasons this can be nice) and ease of coding (no need to check for multiple possible "correct" setups), but I'm mostly just guessing with this.
Interesting, when I first started using Factorio mods, they all failed to load with just zips in the mods folder, I had to unzip them all into their own directories. I wonder when this changed...

As a user though, having version numbers in the name is great for quickly scanning to see if you are using the newest version or for keeping versions the same between multiple systems.

OBAMA MCLAMA
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by OBAMA MCLAMA »

starxplor wrote: Interesting, when I first started using Factorio mods, they all failed to load with just zips in the mods folder, I had to unzip them all into their own directories. I wonder when this changed...
Apparently its always been there, I didn't know about it till this thread was created. It was probably mod authors not knowing the correct .zip format for your problems.
When i stream twitch i always answer questions and try to help, come visit me.

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

OBAMA MCLAMA wrote:
starxplor wrote:Interesting, when I first started using Factorio mods, they all failed to load with just zips in the mods folder, I had to unzip them all into their own directories. I wonder when this changed...
Apparently its always been there, I didn't know about it till this thread was created. It was probably mod authors not knowing the correct .zip format for your problems.
It's only been possible since version 0.9.0, as can be seen by searching for 'zip' in the news subforum aka ->
kovarex wrote:Version 0.9.0
Features:
Game saves and mods are read / written natively to the zip files.
So...thanks for the vote of confidence there MCLAMA :)

OBAMA MCLAMA
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by OBAMA MCLAMA »

i take offense to that!
Don't side me with that silly president barrack obama!
When i stream twitch i always answer questions and try to help, come visit me.

ludsoe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ludsoe »

bobingabout wrote:I was personally thinking about my working mods. I often work on a folder with an unknown version number, could be 0.6.2, or 0.7.0, I don't know yet, which it will be will likely be determined by how much I add to the mod, all the while the .json file will still say 0.6.1, so the folder will just be called "bobplates", when I release it I would zip up bobplates into the file bobplates_0.6.2.zip or bobplates_0.7.0.zip.

As said, it would be nice, but it's only a little extra work to change folder names as you change the version number.
My problem is, my batch file which I made to automate the mod zipping/uploading will no longer work. What what about mod packs? Its much much more work to merge all the folders of a mod when we could of just zipped them together, and the game was like oh that's cool.

Really this change doesn't really add much except for maybe taking screen shots of your mod folder and people knowing what you got, but that could of been a list in game.... Wait there is one. To me this change is slightly counter productive. :P

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

to be clear: Issues with mods in zips previously, well for starters, as has already been pointed out, it was only compatable in the 0.9.0 series, not before

But while it was compatable, if the mod was called "bobplates", but the zip was called "bobplates_0.4.2.zip" for example, the game would think the mod was called "bobplates_0.4.2" and try to load a mod with that name, and then fail because that wasn't what was in the zip file. The zip had to be named "bobplates.zip" with no version information on it, else it would fail to load.

in the current version (0.10.7+) you can use bobplates or bobplates_0.4.2 and it will work
in the next version (0.11.0+) you need to use the version number, so bobplates_0.4.2
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

joran
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by joran »

can you include letters in version?

0.1.2B ?

Smoovious
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Smoovious »

joran wrote:can you include letters in version?

0.1.2B ?
or perhaps use 0.1.2.1 for quick development builds (like when doing some unsuccessful bug-hunting and testing among your friends? would that cause a problem with the game interpreting the version/build/release?)

-- Smoov

Return to “Questions, reviews and ratings”