Ideas & Suggestions

Looking for a mod? Have a review on a mod you'd like to share?
drs9999
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Ideas & Suggestions

Post by drs9999 »

Neotix wrote:Is there any way to disable missing bots warning from Field MK2. Right now I'vs got over 600 warnings (one from each tree) and it cause fps drop every second.
Sadly there is no way to turn off the warnings. Anyway you can always (de-)activate the fields temporarily in the custom GUI. To do so click with any item attached to the cursor on the field.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

I've been using your treefarm mod recently and I noticed that with 6 MK2 tree farms going at full speed it's using 0.65~ MS/tick. I was wondering if I spent some time and managed to get that down would you be interested in the code?

I love optimizing things and it sounds like fun to me :)
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

drs9999
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by drs9999 »

Sure, why not. Go ahead.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

drs9999 wrote:Sure, why not. Go ahead.
Here's my attempt at it: (Download removed for now)

I used 6 MK2 tree farms going full speed as a before and after test:

An average 1000% improvement:
  • From 6 MK2 fields at 0.45 - 0.65~MS
  • To 6 MK2 fields at 0.045 - 0.055~MS
It should migrate an existing save without any issues as well as start new games. I tested it on my existing game with 6 MK2 tree farms.
Last edited by Rseding91 on Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drs9999
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by drs9999 »

Ok, downloaded it. You can remove the link now.

Also, can you list (major) changes?

(p.s. we probably should move to PMs for now)

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

drs9999 wrote:Ok, downloaded it. You can remove the link now.

Also, can you list (major) changes?

(p.s. we probably should move to PMs for now)
Done. I also sent you a PM with the changes.

Goirad
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Goirad »

So here I am with buckets, or should I say tanks, of biomass, and no oil. Then I wondered, what if there was a way to convert the biomass to oil? I know its doable in real life, so here I am suggesting it :)

starxplor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starxplor »

Rseding91 wrote:
drs9999 wrote:Sure, why not. Go ahead.
Here's my attempt at it: (Download removed for now)

I used 6 MK2 tree farms going full speed as a before and after test:

An average 1000% improvement:
  • From 6 MK2 fields at 0.45 - 0.65~MS
  • To 6 MK2 fields at 0.045 - 0.055~MS
It should migrate an existing save without any issues as well as start new games. I tested it on my existing game with 6 MK2 tree farms.

I do not think it is an issue with the farms specifically, but with the trees themselves. I have lined the walls of my base with trees and now I cannot zoom out for a full base view without bringing the game to a near halt. If no treefarm trees, or even just a few(one farm worth was fine) are in view there are no issues, it is only when the number of trees grows huge.

CreeperDaReeper
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by CreeperDaReeper »

starxplor wrote:I do not think it is an issue with the farms specifically, but with the trees themselves. I have lined the walls of my base with trees and now I cannot zoom out for a full base view without bringing the game to a near halt. If no treefarm trees, or even just a few(one farm worth was fine) are in view there are no issues, it is only when the number of trees grows huge.
Do you mean;
Like this
Or like this
Just a little explanation. Those long thin strips of solid green are either 5 or 6 trees thick, and 100s of trees long. I don't see much problem myself in either instance. Might be the strength of my rig though. Not sure.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

Any way to make another treefarm mod hard mode? You will have same things except wood->charcoal is the only step that works with wood, you will not make coal from charcoal and you will not make oil from coal. This should make this good hardmode so you can have resin for other mods that use wood and not free coal and oil.

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

cpy wrote:Any way to make another treefarm mod hard mode? You will have same things except wood->charcoal is the only step that works with wood, you will not make coal from charcoal and you will not make oil from coal. This should make this good hardmode so you can have resin for other mods that use wood and not free coal and oil.
What I did to make my own Hard-core mode was to alter the conversion rates. Currently you get 1 charcoal from 1 wood and 1 coal for 1 charcoal. if you change it to 1 = .5, then it takes 4 trees for 1 coal. So you have to have a lot more trees to get that "free" coal. Also I x4 the time it took for trees to grow. (but did up the fertilizer effect)

I like this balance more to make it a bit more challenging.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

I want to disable oil and coal from wood completely, so they will be usable as early fuel or resin farm, nothing else. Conversion rate seem nice. I'd stay 1 wood -> 1 charcoal -> 8x less coal -> 1 coke

crysanja
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by crysanja »

i dont see any reason to increase the wood costs to make it more expencive.

the mk1 fields are cheap, and you can build and chain lots of them with just one fetchling factory.

if you realy want to make the chain more expencive you need to add more costs to mk1 fields(energy/res) or
you need to make the coal production of the chain slower/more expencive.
atleast the buildings need a little steel and bricks.

drs9999
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by drs9999 »

cpy wrote:Any way to make another treefarm mod hard mode? You will have same things except wood->charcoal is the only step that works with wood, you will not make coal from charcoal and you will not make oil from coal. This should make this good hardmode so you can have resin for other mods that use wood and not free coal and oil.
First of resin is added through dy-tech, neither is a coal to oil convertion added by the mod.

Anyway I'm not planning to add a hard mode. Simply because I don't understand why it is needed.
If you think charcoal->coal makes it to easy then simply don't use it.

Piroknight
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Piroknight »

It's very interesting mod, but I think that in production line from tree farm (wood -> charcoal -> coal -> coke) produced to small pollution, it will be more realistic if that parameter will be much bigger (like in real life, when you burned wood to get charcoal). And also we get too much charcoal from wood in production line.

Or if you don't want such changes in your mod, please show, where in code I can change that parameters, for my own hardcore game :)

P.S. Если есть русскоязычные пользователи кто с этим разобрался, буду рад вашим ответам.

drs9999
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by drs9999 »

Piroknight wrote:Or if you don't want such changes in your mod, please show, where in code I can change that parameters, for my own hardcore game :)
You can adjust the ingredients for the recipies in prototypes/recipies.lua
And for the pollution-settings you have to look at the cokery-definition in prototypes/buildingPrototypes.lua
The setting can be found at the bottom of the definition and is called "emissions"

DreamSmith
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DreamSmith »

Much of the real life process of making charcoal is the external fire, as this is handled in game with electric heating the pollution output is significantly smaller, I like drs9999's current settings.

Maybe a fuel burning version of the cokery that produces tonnes of pollution.

Edit: Of course a recipe for just chucking the wood in the non-fuel part of any furnace to make the next tier at a 2:1 ratio for each stage would also fill your needs and not change current settings.

Piroknight
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Piroknight »

drs9999 wrote:You can adjust the ingredients for the recipies in prototypes/recipies.lua
And for the pollution-settings you have to look at the cokery-definition in prototypes/buildingPrototypes.lua
The setting can be found at the bottom of the definition and is called "emissions"
Thanks a lot for your answer :)
DreamSmith wrote:Much of the real life process of making charcoal is the external fire, as this is handled in game with electric heating the pollution output is significantly smaller, I like drs9999's current settings.
Yes it is right, but not so small I think, so I try different values of pollution to find an ideal balance.

Daassan
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Daassan »

Hallo oh mighty Modmaker!
Awesome mod you have done here! i realy enjoy it an its pretty cool.

here are my little throughts to your mod, which would balance and make it even better (at least in my oppinion ^^)

First:
I already readed many times, you should finetune the wood -> charcoal ratio and the further processing.
Just a small 2 : 1 ratio is useless, because its doesent help anything. 2 woods are 8 MJ into 1 charcoal which contains 6 mj energy, lose..
My suggestion, change ALL energy holdings, decrease the wood to 1 or 2 MJ, next 5, coal to 25, and coks maybe 125 MJ.
Ratio would be always 4 : 1, so the energy increases by 20%.
This would forcing the player always trying to cook the wood up, without being too overpowered. you still need to mine coal at the start. Because wood would be just too weak, to feed the boilers with it and the cost of the free endless coal would be huge amount of space, increasing the campside -> more wall to defend...

2nd:
spilt the coal processing in multiple research techs -> caused by the first change, its more important to get this going.

3rd:
I didnt come to the point i could create my own biochem chain, so i dont know if liquid air is used somethere else but only liquid nitrogen. If yes ignore this, else just let it make ln without an extra machine please, this is just annoying. Also to make fertilizer, you need ash, nitrogen, potasium and phosphates (or so). but still the last both are exact the same, since both just used water stone and a science pack. it would be more practicle, if you combine these 2 please. :D

greetings
Daassan
and hold up the great work!

drs9999
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by drs9999 »

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it!

To 1:
I finally come to a point where I agree with it. However there are some points which I'm not going to change and that are definatly the fuel-values for the vanilla-items (wood & coal). I just wrote a pm in which I share my latest thoughts about it, so I just paste it here again for convenience:
The problem or maybe just mine is that coal has two purposes. A) fuel; B) ingredient in recipies.

If you ignore A) it would be totally reasonable to say for example 10 charcoal are only worth 1 coal. Charcoal/wood is still 4free, but you would need a lot more of it.
But sadly I also have to consider the fuel-aspect.
IRL the biggest advantage to process wood into coal is that it highly increase the energy / volume ratio, although you'll end up with less energy-stored in the end.
This is a point where gameplay > realism. Volume isn't a big deal in-game, so it would be pointless to convert wood into coal, because you'll end up with less energy than before.
That's why the fuel-value increase with each step. Another problem is that I don't and won't touch any vanilla-values, so 4MJ for wood and 8MJ for coal are fixed. Imo it's very hard to balance it, because you have to make sure that it isn't to OP and on the other side still adds advantages to judtify building/producing it.

On the other side I just could say: "Ok you can create coal from charcoal from wood, but if you use this coal as fuel you'll lose energy, so you only should use it as ingredient" But I don't like that.
I figured out the following (first line is item-ratio; second line is fuel-value-ratio):

Code: Select all

wood  charcoal  coal   coke-coal
   10   :    10   :    8   :   8
 40MJ : 60MJ  : 64MJ:  80MJ 
2:
It sounds totally reasonable, most likey going to implement that.

3:
The biolab is used for more than just this recipe, so it should be fine.
And about phosphate/potassium, yes they need the same ingredients, however I feel like combining both would make it too easy.

Return to “Questions, reviews and ratings”