Industrial Revolution 3 -Ore washing and incinerators

Looking for a mod? Have a review on a mod you'd like to share?
Oh_Bob_Saget_86
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Industrial Revolution 3 -Ore washing and incinerators

Post by Oh_Bob_Saget_86 »

BTW, my favorite Mod!

I noticed in IR3 that "Incinerators" have been removed. For someone like me who isnt the most advanced circuit network person, i now have a real roadblock creating a functional ore washing system without incinerators. Before, i would put incinerators at the end of a pure mineral belt, and activate them once the belt got to full (So i wouldnt have a backup of one mineral and therefore not produce the other) Probably a bad strategy, but like i said, not that good with advanced circuit network techniques.

Without the incinerators to help manage backed up belts, is there a more preferred strategy? I have tried creating assembly and scrapping machines to reduce the backup, but the footprint is much larger to implement a system like this and the throughput is sketchy.

Looking for some pointers because this is the only time i found the IR mods to discourage me.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Industrial Revolution 3 -Ore washing and incinerators

Post by Deadlock989 »

If you get too frustrated, you have the option of turning on "bottomless pits" in Settings > Mod settings > Map. You can do this while the game is running as of version 3.0.4. These are a "void" that does the same job as IR2 incinerators did except there is no fuel or energy cost per item destroyed. When turned on, they are found on the same crafting menu row as chests. They are turned off by default because they're not necessary.

Otherwise there are several ways to handle "smart" automated ore washing, both with and without acid. It sounds like you have the basic principle already figured out - detect what is backlogged and discourage production of it. I'm not going to spell it out in any detail but here's a hint: having an ore washing sub-factory doesn't prevent you from returning to smelting crushed ore, as needed.

Oh_Bob_Saget_86
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Deadlock989 wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:35 pm
If you get too frustrated, you have the option of turning on "bottomless pits" in Settings > Mod settings > Map. You can do this while the game is running as of version 3.0.4. These are a "void" that does the same job as IR2 incinerators did except there is no fuel or energy cost per item destroyed. When turned on, they are found on the same crafting menu row as chests. They are turned off by default because they're not necessary.
Do these have any negative side affects like the pollution from incinerators? I feel like im cheating if they have no negatives

And i know your not up to discussing great detail about it, but im just having a hard time wrapping my head around how to really make this work practically. Sooner or later, lead will be used less than tin, and lead ingot will back up. Now that the output of lead is backed up, soon the input will too. Once the input backs up, i wont be able to produce Pure Tin material. So now all i can do is create a sub factory to create items from ingot and then send them to scrappers to reduce qty, which then sends scrap to a sub-foundry to smelt those back to ingots. So now i have a huge multi tiered sub-factory just to produce 2 types of ingots that does not have a constant output.

So are you hinting at having 2 foundry's, one for regular crushed ore smelting, and another smaller one to just supply pure mineral for as needed?

DaleStan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DaleStan »

Oh_Bob_Saget_86 wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:39 pm
And i know your not up to discussing great detail about it, but im just having a hard time wrapping my head around how to really make this work practically. Sooner or later, lead will be used less than tin, and lead ingot will back up.
In order for this eventuality (or the reverse) to come to pass, you'll need to use over four times as much tin mineral as lead mineral, or over twice as much lead as tin. By my calculations, infinite research requires a tin:lead ratio of somewhere between 2.84:1 and 3.84:1. Unless you do something unexpected with your productivity modules, or are using horrendous amounts of lead fighting off the biters, you should be able to keep your consumption between 4:1 and 1:2.

Deadlock has probably also done similar analysis on the non-infinite researches; I'm not far enough along in IR3 to have a good idea how to do that.

cbhj1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by cbhj1 »

Acid washing is another consideration, focusing more on the secondary rather than the primary ore. Just gotta remember that even after researching the new, the old techs are still available.

Oh_Bob_Saget_86
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

So, any suggestions on how to setup and perhaps better use the circuit network to remedy? I'm eager to learn, I just don't have much time to do all the research and understand the system completely with how busy my job keeps me

1WheelDude
Inserter
Inserter

Post by 1WheelDude »

Oh_Bob_Saget_86 wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:35 pm
So, any suggestions on how to setup and perhaps better use the circuit network to remedy? I'm eager to learn, I just don't have much time to do all the research and understand the system completely with how busy my job keeps me
I've been using Cybersyn and I prioritize the export of the "byproduct" of the washing. For example, when I wash Iron with water, I prioritize the export of chromium mineral out of that station, so that it doesn't block the main export, pure iron. For acid washing iron, I prioritize the export of pure iron, so that pure iron doesn't block the chromium production. So, my train station priority configuration will take any chromium from the water washing, then supplement the request for chromium by getting the full load from acid washing.

Return to “Questions, reviews and ratings”