- the filtered stacks in the wagons ( https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... ack_filter )
- the filtered slots in the quickbar aka. toolbelt
Some suggestions contain more ideas like
- easier assigning of the filter (setting multiples at once, easier/faster choosing)
- copy the (clever limited or extended) filter settings from chest to chest, chest to vehicle, vehicle to chest, maybe also from chest to smart inserter and so on. See https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=6&t=6282 Copy from assembly machine and paste to requester chest.
- Combining this also with the problems of faster distributing of repair packs/lasers/walls etc. (I think this should not be mixed).
There are open questions like,
- does this work only for logistic chests? (IHMO not, cause e. g. a car is nothing else than a big chest, but without logistic, so a normal chest should have the same abilities as a car)
- What happens if you want to feed a filtered chest with an inserter without filter? (IMHO should work equally like the cargo wagons now)
- does it make sense to have filters also for the requester chests? (IMHO yes, why not? The requests should autolimit in that case, so that you cannot request more, than you can store)
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=747 Filter in Storage Chest (Kovarex nodded)
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=2549 New logistic chest Type / Filtered logistic storage chests (A forum ready suggestion, but it aims only for the storage chests)
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4984 Add easier way to set filters
viewtopic.php?f=76&t=7174 Filter in Main Inventory
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7792 Filters (Stack Filters for all Vehicles)
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8982 Specify specific item filter slots in a chest
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14084 Storage Chest filter
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=15322 even smarter chest - minimum stock and designated slots
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=15326 Stack Filters for Chest, Vehicles and others
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18993 Add support for adding and removing robots from network
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=20899 Machine manipulation limit in vehicles
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=22987 Storage chest fix
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23777 Make copy/paste entity settings work for slot filters
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=24303 Add filters to Storage Chests
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=25136 Train wagons carrying one item button
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=26413 It is not possible to set the filter in the main inventory.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=29744 Item type filter/lock for chest slots
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34171 filter for roboport content
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=35322 Chests like trains
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=43723 Storage chest filter
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=47601 Binding Storage chest slots
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=48127 Logistic storage priority control, BIG issue with robots
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 92&t=17199 Fast Filter Fill
Related: The distribution problem
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14933 Filter Settable Roboport Material Slots (Basically the idea to distribute needed materials via roboports)
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5007 Connecting two chest for ignoring a request - This is about slow distribution via logistic network, especially this article explains the problem https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... ter#p38979
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=8905 Overlapping Logistic Network II (solves the above distribution problem most elegantly)
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7553 The order Logistics robots remove items
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15175 Logistics bots (and presumably construction bots) should drain chests right-to-left
(more or less random take out vs. right-to-left take out)
Smart logic vs. filter logic and stack limits; Don't split play-styles!
What should be really avoided, when implementing this is, that we split the play-styles even more. I mean one type of player prefers the stack-limitations and filters vs. players, that ASAP try to use smart inserters and count via logistic/circuit network. This is no problem when playing alone, sometimes this is also wanted, but in multiplayer I see it coming, that it will be a mess, if two players use the different styles and with implementing this filters, this will be even more messy.
So I currently think there should be a mechanism/a tool to easily convert between these two styles, like click on a chest with filter/limit and filled by an inserter and the tool changes the inserter to a smart inserter and removes the filter/limit. And vice versa.
See also this https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... ter#p71866 where I suggest a possibility to set numbers for each item for a logistic network, that can then be used to compare without changing each smart inserter.