Smart Furnace whitout robots

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

razztorback
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Smart Furnace whitout robots

Post by razztorback »

I have seen some smart furnace with robots and i think is possible to make it without
Attachments
Smart furnace
Smart furnace
smart furnace.jpg (944.71 KiB) Viewed 14918 times

Smarty
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Smart Furnace whitout robots

Post by Smarty »

Well the idea is good but it wont work because the internal buffer will block any other materials being smelted because it is full of x material

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

I think there's more to see than the eye can see. You are doing something on the left that isn't shown on the picture that maybe makes this actually work? As it is on the picture, you may have a lock eventually.

XyLe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by XyLe »

I don't understand the point of this. Looks extremely inefficient. And kind of expensive too...

spworwell
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by spworwell »

@smarty

He has smart inserters feeding the oar so he won't have a buffer in the furnace itself.

@shirkit
I can't see the potential lock that you do. What would make it happen.

What I'd like to see is a smart system that smelts steel too

keyboardhack
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by keyboardhack »

spworwell wrote:@smarty

He has smart inserters feeding the oar so he won't have a buffer in the furnace itself.

@shirkit

If his Iron plates back up and all his furnaces are filled with iron ore, then he can't produce any copper plates.
Waste of bytes : P

Smarty
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Smarty »

keyboardhack wrote:
spworwell wrote:@smarty

@shirkit

If his Iron plates back up and all his furnaces are filled with iron ore, then he can't produce any copper plates.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this

vampiricdust
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vampiricdust »

I think if you added in a buffer smart chest so that way the smelter is always emptied, but it never puts in ore if the buffer chest still has plates left in it.

DerivePi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DerivePi »

keyboardhack wrote:If his Iron plates back up and all his furnaces are filled with iron ore, then he can't produce any copper plates.
I don't see that problem with this setup. Although I am reading between the lines, the plate buffers (to the left) are connected to the robot-net as are the smart inserters placing ore into the furnaces. When the plates exceed a certain percentage of storage, the associated ore smart inserters are turned off.

Example: the furnace buffers iron ore. Then the iron plate exceeds 75% the capacity of iron plate storage so those iron ore inserters are turned off (if iron pl > 50,000). This starves the furnace until copper ore can take over.

Further design suggestions:
- design a "balancer" so that the proportion of iron pl to copper pl is maintained (if copper plate is 1.5 times the amount of iron plate - advantage the production of iron plate)
- The big challenge - throw in stone brick and steel

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Since I'm pretty much the one who invented and popularized this idea I'm able to say that the setup from razztorback just sucks.

It will eventually clog once one of the output belts is full of plates.

No matter what you do, if you are using bots ore belts... you need buffer chests and set the Smart Inserters to work on a local seperated logistic network or you have to hook all the chests and inserters up with some wire.

If you do that then adding Steel to the mix is no problem. Stone is too tricky and I don't recommend doing it because there's no real gurantee that it won't clog with Stone. I've tried for months to stabilize Stone but at some point it will start doing weird things and you have to interfere manually. It's just not worth the trouble.

But for Iron/Copper/Steel it shouldn't be too hard to make a failsafe version by using buffer chests and setting the inserters to the right conditions.

The real art about doing it this way is to get the most space efficient version and to be able to use Beacons in the setup to maximize the throughput and productivity.

razztorback
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by razztorback »

I know it not the best one.. i have a balancer on left for iron and copper. when the amount is under a X the smart inserter take the copper or iron into the furnace to make the buffer chest full.

It work fine for mee and this is a very low setup i know.

The furnace will not buffering only make plates when buffer chests are low

razztorback
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by razztorback »

razztorback wrote:I know it not the best one.. i have a balancer on left for iron and copper. when the amount is under a X the smart inserter take the copper or iron into the furnace to make the buffer chest full.

Attachments
smart furnace.jpg
smart furnace.jpg (989.66 KiB) Viewed 11012 times

vampiricdust
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vampiricdust »

Ah, so you already have buffer chests. That should work. Long as you keep the plate amount below any over production, back up won't be a problem. Ignore the nay sayers, very smartly done. Do you have smart inserters setup so that the lower the plate counts, the more furnaces that turn on?

MadZuri
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MadZuri »

I see you're using a belt "balancer" and that is a pet peeve of mine. I'll direct you to some testing that was done on the topic.

Edit: I've also done some testing of my own, and that technique of joining belts by using a splitter and underground belts to side load a line is really bad as well.
debug on

Smarty
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Smarty »

razztorback wrote:
razztorback wrote:I know it not the best one.. i have a balancer on left for iron and copper. when the amount is under a X the smart inserter take the copper or iron into the furnace to make the buffer chest full.

ohh then it will work but you never said anything in the first post but this can work

razztorback
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by razztorback »

The smart inserters are set to fill the logistik cheast and whare are no counter..

The first 4 rows are set to the factory usage and the half of the next i set to fill the cheast and the last is kick in if i start a massive produktion
Rigth now is it small i know but i try to make i work whitout robots..

Return to “Show your Creations”