Simple Kovarex enrichment with one centrifuge – for beginners

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

Edgar7
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Simple Kovarex enrichment with one centrifuge – for beginners

Post by Edgar7 »

I play Factorio 1.0 since about a week. I read about the Kovarex enrichment in the Wiki but I did not find any simple example. I found many examples with huge arrays of centrifuges, but they are not much help for a beginner.

I used the following setup to start with the Kovarex enrichment.
A few mining machines to mine uranium ore
The uranium ore is transported per belt into a few centrifuges. They output a lot of U-238 and a little U-235 on the same belt.
At the end of that belt I put storage boxes to the left and right with filter inserters. They sort the output in separate storage boxes for U-238 and U-235.
Then I just let this run. I think it took hours before the U-235 box had about 35 units of U-235.
To start the Kovarex enrichment we need at least 40 units of U-235 (see Wiki) so I could not start the processing just yet. But I wanted to make sure the Kovarex enrichment starts ASAP so I put the following in place:
A single centrifuge with the Kovarex enrichment process setup.
One input each for U-235 and U-238.
One output each for U-235 and U-238.
After I set this up the centrifuge was inactive, there was not enough U-235.
Then maybe an hour later I looked again and the centrifuge was glowing and the process was running.
Then I replaced the inserters with faster inserters to speed up the process a little.
For one circle the centrifuge let the inserters input the correct amounts of U-235 and U-238 Uranium. Then the process runs for about a minutes and then the output inserters output all Uranium in the separate U-235 and U-238 boxes. And then they are input again and the process starts again.
At some stage there will be enough U-235 to have more than one centrifuge. But I am not yet that far.
This works perfectly fine to start.

About my screenshots:
Overview: The number or mining drills and centrifuges is just something to get started. I did not calculate how many would be the perfect ratio.
Detail: There are a lot more storage boxes than what is necessary. I added them to easily use inserters and to make sure there is enough space for U-238. The first U-238 box is now almost full.
The inserters on the right side are filter inserters which put U-235 in the top box and U-238 in the bottom box.
The output inserters from the centrifuge are also filter inserters to be sure the output U-235 and U-238 goes into the correct boxes.
That’s it, it works.

One important observation: Now I see in the centrifuge about 20 units of U-235 which becomes more and more after each process circle. I don’t see anymore the 40 units which were necessary to start the process.
In the moment the U-235 boxes are empty when the process is running. I expect that at some stage, maybe in an hour, the box will slowly fill up. And then I can continue with this and maybe a second centrifuge.
Feel free to comment or ask questions. This is my first ever design of this and I started it from scratch without blueprints or anything like that. I am sure it can be improved. My idea was and is to learn myself how to get going.
Overview.jpg
Overview.jpg (485.01 KiB) Viewed 3824 times
Medium Detail.jpg
Medium Detail.jpg (472.05 KiB) Viewed 3824 times

mergele
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Simple Kovarex enrichment with one centrifuge – for beginners

Post by mergele »

I'm thinking viewforum.php?f=208 though with the target audience being for new players this might also still be an appropriate place.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] I moved the thread to "Show your creations"
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Still to complex.
Beginners and veterans can use priority split these days:
Factorio - Kovarex.png
Factorio - Kovarex.png (4.87 MiB) Viewed 3774 times

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Edgar7
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Edgar7 »

Thanks steinio, that looks good. And I guess I will copy your design now that I have enough Uranium to keep four centrifuges busy.
But I am not so sure if your design is simper for people who just start...

disentius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by disentius »

Is this simple enough?
kovarex.png
kovarex.png (2.07 MiB) Viewed 3730 times

Edgar7
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Edgar7 »

Thanks, that layout is easier to understand for a beginner.

Return to “Show your Creations”