Probably the biggest MP map ever :)

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

psihius
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Probably the biggest MP map ever :)

Post by psihius »

So, I just posted this http://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/commen ... _you_will/

In a nutshell, it's a FactorioMaps mod generated map of our MP game, clocking at 5.6GB of JPEG 2048x2048 images...

It's trully a beast!

bastrath
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Probably the biggest MP map ever :)

Post by bastrath »

That's quite... big! All those trains, I love it!
Maybe my english isn's good, but compared to our train conductors my english is high level (Sänk ju for träwelink wiss deutsche Bahn!)

Gandalf
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gandalf »

It's a large map but there's barely anything built. I see a lot of random confusing tracks and on large-ish patch of assemblers. There are a lot bigger production networks out there.
OS: Linux Mint 19 x64 | desktop: Awesome 4.2  |  Intel Core i5 8600k  |  16GB DDR4  |  NVidia GTX 1050 Ti (driver version: 410.104)    (2019-03)

psihius
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by psihius »

Gandalf wrote:It's a large map but there's barely anything built. I see a lot of random confusing tracks and on large-ish patch of assemblers. There are a lot bigger production networks out there.
Well, you have to take into account this is a multiplayer map, that, actually runs and is playable. It's easy to make a big ass factory, that drops the MP game to a few frames per second and play it matrix slow mo style, although I doubt all the players will have the patience to put 90 hours like we did in a game slowed down 4-5 times :)

Also, multiplayer is unpredictable, when 5 people run around and do stuff - forget about a neatly built factory. Our current factorio crew is not a bunch of friends - we are random people that ended up playing together, so some sort of good cooperation and understanding came only in the second part of the time we have put into it.
Also the resources are not that abundant, we had trouble with getting oil half the game. And the purpose of the game is to have fun, expand a lot, build trains, than rebuild trains again and again - because we seemed to always tax the system eventially to full capacity.
It's an evolving organism :)

Cloner
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Cloner »

Onthis map, we have NO belts in our production, and all smelting plus all red green and blue circuts are done in wagons :)
This allows us to produce massive amounts of stuff without hindering multiplayer fps.

Gandalf
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gandalf »

That's interesting, I didn't expect performance concerns to impact your gameplay that heavily. So logistics robots cause less lag then conveyor belts?
OS: Linux Mint 19 x64 | desktop: Awesome 4.2  |  Intel Core i5 8600k  |  16GB DDR4  |  NVidia GTX 1050 Ti (driver version: 410.104)    (2019-03)

psihius
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by psihius »

If you don't overbuild them and make that the spikes in robot activity are not huge, then yes.

The problem with the belts is that each belt tile is processed, items are moved on the belt and you need more inserters to pick up or place down things on the belts. With robotic network inserters make us of stack bonus size, so one inserter can feed a lot more resources from a chest to factory that with belts. In single player that is not that apparent, but in MP due to need to synchronize data between players and latency, it's very visible.
Still, you need to thread carefully, because putting too much robots can lead to lag spikes, when some big event happens and too much robots become active in a single moment. I overdid with the train loading stations that way - I put like 300 robots into each station, where I really needed like 60-100 per station, because pauses between loadings are big and robotos have a lot of time to refill the chests. When it coincided that 2-3 trains arrived for loading almost in one moment, we got lag spikes and game slowdown due to a 1000 robots waiking up and going to work in a single moment.

mngrif
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mngrif »

Nice! Glad to see large MP games like this! Over in the #factorio IRC channel we had a 6 player game go over one weekend. The map dump of it is in another thread here. We didn't take nearly as much land, eventually giving up due to oil being incredibly difficult to procure.
My Silly Factorian Tricks
<_aD> OBSERVE SIGNAL ASPECT BEFORE CROSSING TRACK

Cloner
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Cloner »

Here I have posted more info about this map. See how we produce the most used items withour belts NOR robots.
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=8&t=8551

Return to “Show your Creations”