Expansion automation setup

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

velosepappe
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Expansion automation setup

Post by velosepappe »

In this topic I asked how to create a blueprint for a structure that would request the necessary resources for another expansion. This way I would only need to carry around one blueprint to start expanding.
But there are problems with logistics robots fetching the items from the storage/provider chest storing the items for my next expansion, trying to restock my requester chest. DaveMcW pointed out that one possible solution is to produce the items on the spot, and only requesting basic materials. So I set out to do just that. With one very simple design in mind, one large electric pole, a roboport and a lamp. This is the first blueprint

I need to produce these items on the spot. I went for the modular manufacturing setup with assembling machines supplied through requester chests and output into provider chests. The output amount is regulated using smart inserters. Needs fast inserters, smart inserters, assembling machines mk2 (or 3), provider chests and requester chests, and medium electric poles. The blueprint does not require the red cables. Here is the next iteration of the blueprint:

These extra items need to be produced again. This basically means adding a few more assembling machine modules to create the new items. I changed the passive providers to active providers and added a storage chest in the mix linking everything up with red cable. This is the final blueprint (for the moment):

This is the actual expansion.

I did not expect to only need 3 iterations, but I could have expected it since creating new types of items only requires the addition of extra manufacturing modules, which was taken care of during the third iteration. Of course mixing in items that are not built in assembling machines, or requiring some type of fluid would have added a whole new level of complexity. Let alone items requiring water to be produced since it can not be canned like crude oil.

The requirements are a base with a logistics network and sufficient robots, and access to the base materials in the logistic network. Given that this approach is rather slow I found it an interesting exercise as a first step to create something resembling self-replication.

YasP
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Expansion automation setup

Post by YasP »

It's better to have two provider chests, as one assembler can fill the chest and not leave room for the other one. This setup is great but too slow for large volume items, like science packs and circuits. But it works great for everything else like ammo, rails, rail signals, ... It's a perfect setup to supply your constructor bots.

Return to “Show your Creations”