My first factory

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

Aza-Industries
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: My first factory

Post by Aza-Industries »

kovarex wrote:I want to see trains in action :)
I'm worried about using them for transporting goods.
I've had maybe 3 separate empty trains traveling between two separate stops that where within defense area of my walls.
But they keep disappearing, or stopping at random corners occasionally.

I would love to use them because I've finally mined out all my local ore deposits but I don't trust their reliability.
MF- wrote:Interesting.. I have roughly 200 caps to 200 solars and the solars charge them from zero to full before the daylight reaches it's full strength int the morning.
Mine take most of the day to charge my Caps. =/

Aza-Industries
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Aza-Industries »

I feel sad now, my smelting is so fast I can't mine copper fast enough. So I've run out of copper ore.
I have plenty of copper bars, but it's still a sad feeling running out of an ore type. =(

I've been on numerous scouting missions in my car and haven't been able to find any large copper deposits in a really big radius from my base.
I have 1 mine left filling up an express belt but it won't last forever.

Hopefully in the future this game will have a bigger map, when I go so far out it's hard to remember my way back to base.

EDIT: Now at 1200 caps.

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

Me too. Sadly, I am afraid I'll wait.

I haven't discovered any way how to get them from one secure area into another in a reliable way that wouldn't include turrets along the entire route.
I have no idea how long shall the cargo loading take, I am too lazy to measure or guess
+ I am currently a bit low on coal, almost exclusively running on solar power.

Aza-Industries
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Aza-Industries »

MF- wrote:
Me too. Sadly, I am afraid I'll wait.

I haven't discovered any way how to get them from one secure area into another in a reliable way that wouldn't include turrets along the entire route.
I have no idea how long shall the cargo loading take, I am too lazy to measure or guess
+ I am currently a bit low on coal, almost exclusively running on solar power.
Trains should only be venerable when not moving IMO. Literally invincible when moving would be fine I think.
Heck I would even be fine if when they did stop creepers focused on destroying them. So you have to defend the stations well. But defending the whole track sucks. =/

I'd send you some coal if I could! I've got a few mil to spare. =P

My cap and solar numbers are still rising, I want to stay ahead of the expansions I'm doing. Just in case.

I've managed to expand my 100% defended land. I'm finding that for a solid defense I need both turrets with AP ammo and lasers.
If I have just one type, even if 20+ lasers they don't seem to acquire separate targets very well and they eventually get swarmed. So lasers thin them out and gun turrets finish them off.

RED = Most of the old factory area
GREEN = Room to rebuild factories neater and more efficient!

wrtlprnft
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by wrtlprnft »

Aza-Industries wrote:Trains should only be venerable when not moving IMO. Literally invincible when moving would be fine I think.
Heck I would even be fine if when they did stop creepers focused on destroying them. So you have to defend the stations well. But defending the whole track sucks. =/
What if they could run over creepers like the car (taking minor damage in the process) and there was some way to automatically repair them in the station?

Trains will usually outrun creepers, and if a couple of them get in the way the damage could be repaired. Also: turrets mounted on trains (maybe a turret waggon?) :-D

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

wrtlprnft wrote:
Aza-Industries wrote:Trains should only be venerable when not moving IMO. Literally invincible when moving would be fine I think.
What if they could run over creepers like the car (taking minor damage in the process) and there was some way to automatically repair them in the station?

Trains will usually outrun creepers, and if a couple of them get in the way the damage could be repaired. Also: turrets mounted on trains (maybe a turret waggon?) :-D
All of this is planned :)

Aza-Industries
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Aza-Industries »

wrtlprnft wrote:

Maybe.. but it would have to be pretty minor damage, so far I've lost 3 trains right next to my wall of turrets.
I also found an automated one that had mysteriously stopped while going around a corner, I had to manually get it moving again.

I had an idea just now as I built my first cargo train (for fun, not practical use, too vulnerable).
We need hoppers to load trains faster. And maybe some sort of dump trough to unload.
And you fill/empty these things with the regular arms and stuff.
It would allow a well built station to be ready to load a train quickly and set it on its way, then start preparing for the next trains arrival.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Aza-Industries wrote:
wrtlprnft wrote:

Maybe.. but it would have to be pretty minor damage, so far I've lost 3 trains right next to my wall of turrets.

I had an idea just now as I built my first cargo train (for fun, not practical use, too vulnerable).
We need hoppers to load trains faster. And maybe some sort of dump trough to unload.
And you fill/empty these things with the regular arms and stuff.
It would allow a well built station to be ready to load a train quickly and set it on its way, then start preparing for the next trains arrival.
Yes, stuff that needs to be upgraded to make them really useful will be added.
1) Trains can move both directions (already prepared for the next release)
2) Stations can be connected into groups, and train will choose one of them, so you can have multistations
3) Trains will take other trains/semaphores into consideration in path planning so multiple trains will work better
4) Faster loading unloading, maybe even general mechanism, that when inserter is loading unloading "container->container" it takes 5 items at a time. Or maybe special kind of inserter for train loading unloading, not sure about this one.
5) Trains to run creepers over
6) Armored vehicles
7) Automated signals/stations rotation when building (already prepared)
8) Visualisation of connected rails/signals when building/selecting
Aza-Industries wrote: I also found an automated one that had mysteriously stopped while going around a corner, I had to manually get it moving again.
I would really like to put my hands on the save with this situation, something like that shouldn't happen.

Aza-Industries
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Aza-Industries »

kovarex wrote:
Yes, stuff that needs to be upgraded to make them really useful will be added.
1) Trains can move both directions (already prepared for the next release)
2) Stations can be connected into groups, and train will choose one of them, so you can have multistations
3) Trains will take other trains/semaphores into consideration in path planning so multiple trains will work better
4) Faster loading unloading, maybe even general mechanism, that when inserter is loading unloading "container->container" it takes 5 items at a time. Or maybe special kind of inserter for train loading unloading, not sure about this one.
5) Trains to run creepers over
6) Armored vehicles
7) Automated signals/stations rotation when building (already prepared)
8) Visualisation of connected rails/signals when building/selecting
Aza-Industries wrote: I also found an automated one that had mysteriously stopped while going around a corner, I had to manually get it moving again.
I would really like to put my hands on the save with this situation, something like that shouldn't happen.
I think it happened before the last patch, so it's probably fixed by now. I'm just being paranoid about trusting my precious resources to the train.
It could have been user error too, my base is getting pretty big and keeping track of everything that is going on requires lots of concentration. =P

And all those points you have there are AWESOME. Thank you for taking the time to let us know your plans.
Your game is already one of my all time favorites I'll remember for years. It reminds me of older RTS/Tycoon games I use to play years ago.
My current save is coming up on 80 hours, I'm so hooked.

FACTORY UPDATE:
I'm starting a really big rebuild of my factory.

Smelters/Mines can now look after themselves and will continue to mine and smelt raw resources, and then store them for later use.
I don't think my smelting has stopped for 50 hours straight now, so much stored material to use for the future. =D

So while they continue doing there job I'm demolishing the intermediate and late item factories and will rebuild them in a larger area much more neatly and efficiently.
All supply and demand belts will be moved really close to storage array so logistic robots only have a really short distance to travel.

I'm also building a requester chest or 2 for every item depending on stack size, in case any unwanted items get into storage and for items I have to pick up during rebuild.
I keep my storage chests exclusively for ore/smelted goods.

Note: That ammo line is redundant, I'm just letting it empty out slowly before I remove it, it not really in the way atm.

Aza-Industries
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Aza-Industries »

Starting rebuilding factory, it's been a while and I've forgotten the golden ratios of item fabrication.

Testing out various production levels of different items to try and get a smooth running system that won't slow down under continuous construction as belts empty out.

I'm going to separate the cog production from the current setup.
I'm giving each area it's own supply belt of iron/copper as needed instead of trying to share the one belt for everything.
So in theory once I've got the circuit production running smoothly under stress I won't have to revisit later if basic resources are running low from tacked on factories producing other stuff.

So far this is what I got, it seem to run pretty well producing purple and green circuits. I plan on expanding purple construction a bit and all the hirachy before it as needed.
It's slow going as I'm experiencing occasional crashes and save corruption.

EDIT: Also here are my current resource levels for basic ore/materials, and a few random items thrown in I haven't given requester chests for.

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

Oh, that's a lot of circuits.. I summoned the ships with 5 circuit factories.
I guess I can't really scale production. I basically just built one smart-inserter line, as many bluepack assemblers as it could sustain, as many rocket assemblers as it needed and as many circuit factories as the setup needed. And then happily ran around with resources, managed the machines.

I don't think I would be able to beat any "supply X in Y seconds" type of scenarios.

Aza-Industries
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Aza-Industries »

Found my new fav way of making belts.

Can be expanded as needed, and you can use your own method of power poles/subs.
Main thing is to have a cog supply fast enough, possibly using 2 supplies 1 for yellow and red and blue gets its own for the massive 15 cogs per belt.

rk84
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by rk84 »

Aza-Industries wrote:Found my new fav way of making belts.

Can be expanded as needed, and you can use your own method of power poles/subs.
Main thing is to have a cog supply fast enough, possibly using 2 supplies 1 for yellow and red and blue gets its own for the massive 15 cogs per belt.
Nice setup. I have used similar system in smart-inserter production.
Test mode
Searching Flashlight
[WIP]Fluid handling expansion
[WIP]PvP gamescript
[WIP]Rocket Express
Autofill: The torch has been pass to Nexela

Aza-Industries
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Aza-Industries »

Robot arm factory!
For all your Army needs =P

I had quite a few moment of just staring at the screen thinking for this one.

FULL RESOLUTION: http://www.aza-industries.net/robotarms2.jpg

Aza-Industries
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Aza-Industries »

Redone furnace area, It's actually slightly smaller then before but I don't actually need any larger, with such a huge stockpile of smelted resources I could never outpace the constant smelting with fabrication.
Unless I were to build lots of high res items constantly over a very long time. But the smelters never stop even when nothing is being made in the factories so it's quite a big buffer.

Also I tacked on steel production on the top, it stops producing steel when there is 10k in storage.

Top right isn't fully finished as I'm waiting for mines to finish er.. mining, because of this only half the steal production line is going atm.

EDIT: Also just broke the 90 hour mark on this save file. =D

FULL RESOLUTION: http://www.aza-industries.net/aaronsimages/furnaces.jpg

Aza-Industries
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Aza-Industries »

Revised how belts/underground belts come out.
Decided it was a bit silly that I wanted every single item taking up a whole belt to themselves.

HI RES: http://www.aza-industries.net/aaronsima ... ground.jpg

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

How did you display the arrows over the inserters in the last screenshot?

gr0mpel
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by gr0mpel »

options -> graphics -> x show inserter arrows when detailed info is on

nice setup u have there :)

90hours game-time..
how are your ressource fields doing? do you need to transport raw materials over huge distances?

Aza-Industries
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Aza-Industries »

gr0mpel wrote:options -> graphics -> x show inserter arrows when detailed info is on

nice setup u have there :)

90hours game-time..
how are your ressource fields doing? do you need to transport raw materials over huge distances?
I was lucky the map generated with a few really big ones close by, but they are running out now and I've done a lot of exploration and have yet to come across another decent supply of ore.
I did set the map settings richness levels higher, and possible deposit sizes too. But I think I left the frequencies..

When I start a new factory (after a few updates and more content) I'll leave all the settings on default. This save was intended to be practice and messing around.
I'm going to wait for the next update before I go on a big exploration to try and find more resources.

gr0mpel
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by gr0mpel »

Aza-Industries wrote:
I was lucky the map generated with a few really big ones close by, but they are running out now and I've done a lot of exploration and have yet to come across another decent supply of ore.
I did set the map settings richness levels higher, and possible deposit sizes too. But I think I left the frequencies..
thats why i created a map in the editor so i could start with a good spot. ;)
now a have a ridicoulus amount of ore all around me and i dont think i will need them..could probably store/produce 100k+++ of EVERY item.
but i wonder how much content/items will be added in the future and how much resources one will need for a really big factory.
therefore - doing it the same way as u will: wait for more content, then start again

Return to “Show your Creations”