Let's see your clever builds

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

Dadys_Toy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Let's see your clever builds

Post by Dadys_Toy »

How nobody using chests to buffering science-packs?
In 1 (provider-)chest is space for over 9.500 bottles of science packs! Also the production can be rolling although no research is going. ;)
Show the examples:

Warun nutzt Niemand Kisten zur Pufferung der Forschungspacks?
In 1 (Nachfrage-)Kiste ist Platz für über 9.500 Forschungs-Fläschchen! Damit kann die Produktion weiterlaufen auch wenn nicht geforscht wird. ;)
Schau an die Beispiele:

bg
mfg
:)
puffern2.JPG
puffern2.JPG (86.65 KiB) Viewed 8310 times
puffer-detail.JPG
puffer-detail.JPG (68.27 KiB) Viewed 8310 times

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Dadys_Toy wrote:How nobody using chests to buffering science-packs?
In 1 (provider-)chest is space for over 9.500 bottles of science packs! Also the production can be rolling although no research is going. ;)
I can tell you why I don't buffer more than 50 packs of each:

Because if you don't watch out at the end of all research you will be sitting on 10000 science packs you have absolutely no use for but wasted the resources on.

Dadys_Toy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Dadys_Toy »

MeduSalem wrote:
Dadys_Toy wrote:How nobody using chests to buffering science-packs?
I can tell you why I don't buffer more than 50 packs of each:

Because if you don't watch out at the end of all research you will be sitting on 10000 science packs you have absolutely no use for but wasted the resources on.
Okay, but during the game often enough the belts full and the produktion stops. Later in the science helps balancing out the diffrent quantity of packs.
At the end of sciencetree is the number of unused "bottles" doest'n matter. (for Recycling this helps a lot of mods ;))

Okay, aber während des Spiels ist oft das Förderband voll und die Produktion stoppt. Später in der Forschung hilft es die verschiedene Anzahl der "Fläschchen" aus zu gleichen.
Am Ende des Forschungsbaumes ist die Anzahl der ungenutzten "Fläschchen" nicht mehr wichtig. (zum wiederverwerten Dieser helfen ein paar Mods ;))

bg
mfg
:)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

If you do everything right, then your belts aren't full.
For the science-packs a good in-time production is quite important to have a fast and fluid game. A blue science-pack https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... nce_Pack_3 needs
Iron-plates: 14
Copper-plates: 15.5
Steel-bars: 1
Plastic-bar: 2
Battery: 1
If you don't care about that, your rest of the production (for the other stuff) will be too slow in the middle-game.

Or say it a little bit different: The belt-buffers are in most cases big enough.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

MadZuri
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MadZuri »

Super compact modular destroyer capsule factory:
splat
It needs 1 more defender capsule factory somewhere in the system to run at full speed. This is MK2 of the design, and I always improve my builds.

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Neat build there MadZuri.
Perhaps you could shift one of the Medium poles and stick in an underground belt and long inserter? Would make it non-square, but still easily blueprinted. Could be made to be paired up and fully condensed if you can offset it to one corner.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

MadZuri wrote:Super compact modular destroyer capsule factory:
splat
It needs 1 more defender capsule factory somewhere in the system to run at full speed. This is MK2 of the design, and I always improve my builds.
Heh looks like swastika.
Last edited by cpy on Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:25 am, edited 4 times in total.

nicman23
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by nicman23 »

so i build this red/green rack which when updated will be able to output 1 red/green per s. the only concern for me was to make it as small and compact and fault resistant as possible.
red-green.PNG
red-green.PNG (1001.22 KiB) Viewed 8017 times

Leon
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Leon »

wtf, do i see a train? :lol: :lol:

quinor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by quinor »

That's the chest, not the train, sir!

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Leon wrote:wtf, do i see a train? :lol: :lol:
Stationary wagons are essentially low capacity long chests, if you want them to be.
It allows for the inserter stack bonus to apply when going between separated AMs, without trying to use a chain of chests.

Not my thing, but it's definitely clever. ;)
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

nicman23
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by nicman23 »

yeah a bit fiddly but the alternative was either vastly bigger or vastly more needlessly complex and slightly bigger :P . The idea was from some guy in the forum that wanted to optimize factories for multi (ie less track)

WoodyDaOcas
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by WoodyDaOcas »

lol @ the train wide-chest :D Nice idea :D
This is a sorta compact research block from my latest DyTech mod playthourgh, I got inspired from someone else around here on the forum. Needs a lot of upgrading and is confusing as hell, but I kinda find it sexy how compact it is :D

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/r8jchavlac2r ... c8ala?dl=0

Comments ? :)

edit: by sexy and compact I mean the fact, that it takes kinda less space than it had to :)) + replaced attachments with link to Dropbox folder with 3 screens, saves a lot of screen, sorry bout that, also, this time with full belts to explain stuff better :)
Last edited by WoodyDaOcas on Thu May 28, 2015 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RoddyVR
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by RoddyVR »

Woody, please dont take this the wrong way, but that's not compact.
Maybe dytech changes the requirements for science a lot, but i see:
1. blue circuit production?
2. one of the green sci assemblies has no inserters taking its beakers away.
3. cant tell how wire is getting to green circuits (fast longhanded inserters?) why the insane complication with underground when you could just put the green circuit belt not between these two rows of assemblies.
4. i think the smart inserter assembly has stopped. cant tell why.
5. the really odd copper handling to the left of the green circuits... how far do underground fast belts reach? why not a simple spliter?

I like factories that make all 4 sciences in one place, (see the "yet another science setup" thread), and if i had the time, i might try yours out (or try to "clean it up"), but instead i'll jsut ask you about the stuff that doesnt make sense to me.

WoodyDaOcas
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by WoodyDaOcas »

Hi, thanks for the answer :)
RoddyVR wrote:Woody, please dont take this the wrong way, but that's not compact.
it's cool, that was the point actually, to show the idea (mostly someone else's :/) and to try to improve it, if possible.
I quite possibly chose the wrong topic for that, sorry, but yeah, I am currently in a bit of struggle with mats, focusing a bit on combat atm. Well, excuses aside:
RoddyVR wrote:Maybe dytech changes the requirements for science a lot, but i see:
1. blue circuit production?
I believe there are just stone gears added. And blue circuits are in a top right corner, or I dunno what you mean, sorry.
RoddyVR wrote:2. one of the green sci assemblies has no inserters taking its beakers away.
I am not exactly sure I understand this one either, but I believe all of them is working as intended, maybe wrong timing on the screenshot ?
RoddyVR wrote:3. cant tell how wire is getting to green circuits (fast longhanded inserters?) why the insane complication with underground when you could just put the green circuit belt not between these two rows of assemblies.
fair enough, but I believe the point here was to get one belt with iron/copper through for further processing (ie. whole supply of mats for science) and since green circuits are meant to end up on the belt together with iron, it might as well stay close - also, the "compact" idea, yeah, it might be on the right side of the assemblies :D Looks somewhat more sexy to me, like input iron/copper from one side, which exits not changed on the other, together with the green circuits ~magic~ :)
Or - it's just possible to save one square like this, be it on the other side, on the right, you would need 2 squares next to it, inserter + belt, the same then between the columns of assemblies, that's 4 total. And like this it's doable on 3 squares, neatly hidden ( even when not neatly looking :D ) in between. That's my idea, anyway.
RoddyVR wrote:4. i think the smart inserter assembly has stopped. cant tell why.
you are right, I had dwindling supply of copper in here, thus not enough greens for smart inserted and also, while upgrading the assembly - this happens from time time - the fast inserter picked up one iron -while the assembly was gone - and I didn't notice to replace it, though the green circuits are problem here anyway at the time.
RoddyVR wrote:5. the really odd copper handling to the left of the green circuits... how far do underground fast belts reach? why not a simple spliter?
fair enough. That was a kinda experiment, to artificially boost supply to the copper wire assembly ( on the line with red circuits, on the left) because the copper line is long and demanding, and this, being the very end of the line/belt was underperforming. I basically cut the supply to another stuff that happens offscreen, I wouldn't be to afraid as to say please ignore that, it shouldn't make it into final version :) Also, the red underground is there b/c of the speed, yea, normally it would go in the ground next to the pipe assembly and continue offscreen and I believe simple is 10 squares and red one is 20
RoddyVR wrote:I like factories that make all 4 sciences in one place, (see the "yet another science setup" thread), and if i had the time, i might try yours out (or try to "clean it up"), but instead i'll jsut ask you about the stuff that doesnt make sense to me.
and this one does just that, there is also a alien science pack there on the top right. I'll add another screen

edit: updated the previous post and this with link to Dropbox folder with 3 screens, this time with filled up belts

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/r8jchavlac2r ... c8ala?dl=0

MadZuri
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MadZuri »

robosolararray
beltfactory
plasticstile
advancedcircuits
4railjunction
sciencetutorial

Graiver
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Graiver »

Nice railworks :o

Evilness
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Evilness »

Have you actually tested if your train junction works? Because for one the signals are to close together, not to mention having signals within a junction is already a bad idea. Two trains come and BOOM deadlock.

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Evilness wrote:Have you actually tested if your train junction works? Because for one the signals are to close together, not to mention having signals within a junction is already a bad idea. Two trains come and BOOM deadlock.
I too was wondering of the actual throughput/effectiveness of this particular design, and if I've been both over- and under-shooting how much of an intersection I should actually use.

MadZuri
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MadZuri »

That is the 4-way intersection that I use mostly on my megabase (if you consider 4RDPH a megabase). They have jammed exactly once in the last 100+ hours of gameplay since I installed them, and they have a respectable throughput. If the trains traveling through don't cross paths, they don't even slow down. I've seen 3 trains zip through it at the same time at max speed. I have a large rail system with 30+ trains operating at any given time. With the upcoming chain signals correctly placed, it will never jam.
map
-- This is also the base I stream on twitch.
edit: included is a fully zoomed out view of my red circuit outpost:
ants

Return to “Show your Creations”