Let's see your clever builds

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

Lutz_Scheiter
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Let's see your clever builds

Post by Lutz_Scheiter »

My attempt to an Radar-Outpost. Imo perfect enough, it makes through the night ;) (11 panels/4 acc.)

Code: Select all

H4sIAAAAAAAA/5WSQYvDIBCF/0rIWUtC6V6Kv6UMOizCOIoaaBH/e5NTlybbnb0Jfu/Nm6cuDhQt0HAzzdvIxbRW/DcDmVYfCc3oK4ZRMYT1XCJB1gkYaezK\ns8O7mXtXyNVXj5t4D6oUy3ob2bS70V/qYfR51fxJnqXkJAXFjvKQGzm9QLB2CQtBjfl9m9NlM51OFwk9H9AlAJEmCGm/viTCkeev8FHcj3VN0rbEb/8DDOj8\nEjQS2pq91SkSHijmlyKDg7zvSfpL/jX7bfTHmlbj3q8Z65J5uF2R3RNQRxyqggMAAA==\n

Carl
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Carl »

How to turn 1.5 belts of copper and 1 belt of iron into 1 belt of chips. And yes the multiple loaders/unloaders and the chests are all needed it dosen;t cost massive amounts to omit them but there is a firmly visible drop in production rates. Can elaborate on details.

Took a fair bit of figuring all that out too. Circuitry is just to let me pre-load the chests :).Un-needed to actually run it.

p.s yes it's sandbox, wanted to work it out without rebuilding my factory 50 times while i found what worked.

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

If you are OK with using modules+beacons you can do it in a lot less space: viewtopic.php?f=202&t=33355 (plus you only need a single belt of copper per belt of circuits due to productivity)

Carl
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Carl »

My main thought with these sorts of setups tends to be "can i build somthing that will give a workable output with minimum level fab/inserter/belt tech that will scale upto what i want" I mean sure with beacons you can do it a LOT faster. But you basically have to max your tech to make it work. I prefer scalable solutions. Also i find using prod modules in green chip production a bit silly by that point, copper and iron are two of the most abundant resources so conserving them that way feels a bit pointless. Now oil processing and red chip/battery production, absolutely, oil tends to be what bottlenecks me overall so there i need to maximise my output in the long run from the oil input i get.

EDIT: Turns out you can convert my setup to beacon usage, there's space. Note the beacons have 1 SM3 and 1 SM1, not 2 SM3, that keeps the system from producing so many that 8 plants backup.

Carl
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Carl »

Actually i'm going to have to duplicate your design, grrr. Because from what i'm seeing it shouldn't be able to produce that much. First your copper wire crafting speed isn;t high enough to sustain more than around 33 a sec, second, even if you could magic up enough wire to run things from a production standpoint, i know from my own design that 1 stack inserter will not keep either a copper wire plant or a chip plant in plates. So atm i've no idea how the hell your doing it...

EDIT: Built it, yep dosen;t work, though turns out i misworked the beacon stacking so they do get the crafting speed up enough, but yep, inserters can't remotely keep up. Screenshot of my results below.

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

Not sure what you're doing wrong. I pasted the blueprint from the thread (the one from d4rkpl4y3r) into creative mode, and I get an output of just under 2.4k/m (which is a full blue belt). There's an occassional small gap, but way more than in your screenshot.
screenshot of setup and production stats
As you can see, production is 24k in 10m using 18k copper. It fluctuates a little between 2.3 and 2.4, so it's not perfect, but who is :)

Can you give the blueprint of your complete setup?
Because from what i'm seeing it shouldn't be able to produce that much. First your copper wire crafting speed isn;t high enough to sustain more than around 33 a sec,
The copper plants have speed 5.5 (8 speed beacons minus 4 prod modules), normal recipe is 4 per sec (2 output per 0.5 sec) so total output per assembler with 40% productivity bonus is 5.5*4*1.4=30.8 cable per second. With 4 plants that gives me a theoretical maxium of 123.2 cable per second. To craft 40 circuit per second with 1.4 productivity bonus, I need 3*40/1.4=85 cable per second. So, I produce more than enough cable, and in fact the bottom plant has 2 beacons less and can still keep up with the circuit plant fine. Actual cable production is 5.1k/min or 85 per second, which is exactly as required. (don't underestimate the power of combined prod3+sp3 modules :))
second, even if you could magic up enough wire to run things from a production standpoint, i know from my own design that 1 stack inserter will not keep either a copper wire plant or a chip plant in plates.
[/quote]

As you can see, all plants have a stack plus a fast inserter grabbing plates, which is enough to keep them supplied. For some reason stack+fast works better than 2xstack, probably because it keeps them out of sync. Only the topmost cable plant didn't have room for two inserters, but by placing a buffer chest in between input is increased as the chest->assembler inserter is quicker, and the other one can work full time instead of having to wait for the input buffer to be depleted. see also this discussion: viewtopic.php?f=202&t=30332

For cable transport between assemblers, a single stack inserter is fine, I use the buffer chests to make the design more compact.

Edit: for reference, here is a non-compact version of the same setup, which more clearly shows the production lines:
non compact setup

Acarin
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Acarin »

Very similar build that I use is here:

It uses more undergrounds, rather than having the iron belt weave in and out, but works pretty well.

Blueprint
  • H4sIAAAAAAAA/61dX4/aSAz/Kqt9hhPOHwiqeLqH+xgVC7k2EiQoCbpWq/3uxybctYSMx/bPT5VK7LHHP3s84xnvsXk5NYf96eXr7r2s+6qvym73/l7vz+Xu
    9e991y+ruivbvmxfF5emu/3e1Lv3H7tlsln83C23Hx+L3z/u233dXZq2X76Vp36WhFYfi2PVlofh/9eP9KHB1vrB1tHBePqcoz+Xx+p6Xpan2y9tdVhemlM5
    ZZDpZc5AmVPzBJNe2AQUlkD6FUZPW5C+AOnN3kBTbxCgkXK1gQn0IGI9iFUw1QsLug6ZXYcSvbCg6xDoOgS6Dug5oOOY/UbvAqAHmB1Av3SA8LejXx+K9P6C
    ugtEjvkKNrZ6VZ6ZqUxOHUdBdOytkTh9Iv4ld/nj0pZdt+wup6p/guDoK3/k8wP/R8uNbXVT/TI8zZkl0rExSMLAGi+3BmHZ0C5hEF9a5oUdlzSltPw6KOLA
    +reIAxvcRBxYtxVxYFcPEQerD5HFJfjMVMTB6hRj1q+VF3YLwWZlXt6njV08SCUWV+J3YyIOsCvxO1IRB9iV+GMDEQfYGflzFhEH2MESFrAiDqzT7LuuPL+d
    qvrb8rw/fK/qcplOs8aBweZjcaOuLjeaQ3O5lO3ysH+7QV7FKXfjlHhxGiOYC6fMjRN5cVp7MUqdGK1EfGQ5cqFI6NORwOgDXrj18iQ3gJAXQMaF1YGR0LPj
    R+q5bjO9ntCwA+Saj1PFxzQVQ3IkqRog03ycKD6ezolAco0sKiXl3+rneytnXsg/HbdQwm/1+CaNKAoNk+lUi/OJ9JeHj3I39U3yQ9UerlUv9PPBeNnvQT35
    n/CfpjmW9fLwvezmS1I3urd9u6PHoebPRu4kSeh0RJyxeGidPWk92cFc62PZfmub27/h6lj6wGDR//yUqbn2l+tUjhi7VZBdVau5jeATCSdO7hwmnXIGaiK9
    ctUssQWdgO0ZxFOmRvxIEkS8SOfU1ZaktWVEvDDSJhaR5tmOshU6F+XKH/r4mKrBksJYCccktTFWXoEWjbOeYTbMTB9kPd0y95nsDRZeNw7BdWsKrYXWVwrU
    VTwXSO+YykR8PUxJnqdIN7o4UKkwxVTaanEyUiBAofAiIveKMbuzR0EmO9QbUZ9Dx4+YU7tq4jUrLso6Jkr8nNpMPQMTBfVMOJKtruOxtPAMZZifhFkf2M1S
    YhAvVYh3r4IJP86NuozB1aDLvTQqE2+t+PZ5coVWsSoily2Xf7qxabG1KXGvlctOYhTGGKO9Xo0xQOv1SKbG4G+XjDFq9bicJU/EglIYf7dFUAnjJYgl9Z88
    HmppiX4bPzAJKNKd96fT8rQ/X+Zi4Ep3qJ0/kkh1TIU6SvllIX6azewgVcT6sQOJja9iFASDRrFBKi0ayGZaCpp2KrGk8JDZZEgcXGhggqEhCIbpVAj5rR3U
    WhugkKnjQmqzm3NUcPEdFAW5q1IegS7XQ2BjsefWLxIUlvGHRAj0l4EHZH8KAsAWBcghCpAhClChjQK0tVgt8Y0CSRAECo9J4CiQBK0WQkE0UV3xaWaUfiaz
    jua2kdQ2Sh+47y6t6XqVdLlNDFef5Q/LuBMCbvsjSW69alzDAZdjGWlwL9fSrGtl1qswywFGUpd1KctyGOJqrHiJ1bXC6lxg9QJf4ajn2gd6T4FDFqpS1ObB
    gKM5gQCDnp81Vq6YCwpmq5I6Fkl9aqT2SLfBUbM1RbkCxLvjquMc4MLB11js9Kx1OpU69QFuSBPguqVH2dIe4MJ5k7Fo6VqzBEuWPhXL53iiLHdCFUeo2Gmp
    Vn6q+wDpTEb3qSl3r4W7YR4YL3azdf6WAbf9CZT3pc1ZNBfhDXNIeXgOpR07NNfvLSKm4VmM3sbXm5kyrZmH43KDYgwMY5f1DWRPWBRfV9RhHoO8Ak6madgg
    cN+IpbNBfWsCemGBeaG063AYrNeIbKGdClNkH7Ij9VTQVjkXQwJjxniyEqMoYTAuPTd0e1rq9rLU7WGp27tSt2elXq9KvR6VOr0pdWDjhCAnRHsZi5yMNYQg
    r/ed+PPOQIsb6UvPaS8gLjsODBVNdQ10tDbS5dCUUCqfkiGTNIiISZgpbGacwghZrL2UlXZu6mMv363NoT5pC0DOwPv5eF+pYFupSBqstyPjQLKnvTKUDbmm
    XjqCQteQcsrkS2KQZNJGK5LHwAw0Il1j5DlGnmHkKUaeYOSEka8g8iE1ABvAgv1fAXIMdYShjjDUEYY6wlBHGOoIQx0GOgxzGOQwxGGAw/AGBjkMLgg1BDVo
    ZGjK7jP2lGnFunAi/cI4dErbZCL0nGdKO19CLQI5rIh7WcKtLOFOlnAjS7iPJcQAhSGbFoibTcK9JqHOfSgS2bRQ3AkSbgQJ94GE20DCXSDhJpBwD0i4BeSU
    wceiOjT15x8p6apv9f60e7/fBOjL8+viznzurkJVH8sfw/3k8aO/2rKsX/4cf+9eP760ZX9t65evX8r6+C99OLsTGGUAAA==

(Sorry, not linked a BP before and not sure how to do it in standard fashion...)
Attachments
20161114165218_1.jpg
20161114165218_1.jpg (2.61 MiB) Viewed 18037 times

Carl
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Carl »

I did note that i'd realised the crafting speed was sufficient, also whilst fixing it didn't bring it to a full belt, i double checked, (i've just had an afternoon nap), and realised it needed more power ooops.

Don't have any mods installed, running moddless for now for achievements but assuming the forum dosen;t suddenly decide to reject it here's the save file as an attachment to my post. Just put the blue belts down to set her going. I can take some video too. Could you check that mine functions as designed for you with no backing up of chips? I can send the save if you want it as it's rather a chore to lay out without the save. Only thought that comes to mind atm is that i'm doing it in sandbox with all techs and your creative/real game forms haven;t got all the stack size boosts in play. Still not entirely sure how the inserters are keeping up with demand even so but that could be a ;possibble explanation.

EDIT: nvm: figured it out. Missing copper inserter. Still your plants are backing up or stalling constantly, which offends no small amount. I think what's happening is that your build speed is sufficiently extreme over and above the requirements that the instants spent stalled or backed up are covered for by excess production when it is running.

@Acarin: not bad, technically if you get everything running right you can do it with 8 chip plants, but that has required buffers and extra inserters for me. Otoh i am interested in how your getting the inserters to fill the belt with chips, i use splitter because anything else left small but very noticeable gaps and backed up the rearmost plants, do like how you setup 3 cable fabs top feed each pair of chip fabs though, much more efficient.
Attachments
Sandbox C3-test-3.zip
(3.56 MiB) Downloaded 286 times

Acarin
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Acarin »

It's not clear on the picture, but the circuit assemblers feed onto a splitter between alternate pairs of assemblers, which then feeds in turn onto the underground belt, thus achieving full compression :-)

Oh, and where the copper feed belts balance, they also downgrade from blue to red for efficiency

EDIT: Sorry, wasn't paying attention when I answered. No, that's the iron feed _into_ the assemblers. The circuit out-feed just drops directly to the underground belt.

Grimakar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Grimakar »

I am not sure, how clever and smart this really is, but I had the idea and wanted to show it to you.
Here I am wiring the storage tank to switch chemical plants on and off that crack oil to the next level. I use it for both heavy to light and light to petroleum cracking. Unfortunately you cannot wire the plants directly, so I am using a power switch, which is the only connection for the plants to electricity, to put them on or off.
Then I just tell the switch to enable power, when the storage tank contains more than 2000 oil.
Quiet easy, no magic, but it was an idea.
Here is some picturestuff.
Spoiler

Acarin
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Acarin »

That's a good, original idea. You may, however, like to consider using small pumps (which can also be wired to a circuit network), connecting them to the tanks and using them to allow/disallow either the raw material (Light/Heavy oil) or water (bearing in mind that cutting off either resource will stop production) :-)

Grimakar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Grimakar »

Acarin wrote:That's a good, original idea. You may, however, like to consider using small pumps (which can also be wired to a circuit network), connecting them to the tanks and using them to allow/disallow either the raw material (Light/Heavy oil) or water (bearing in mind that cutting off either resource will stop production) :-)
And it looks much better with pumps, because you do not have those "no power" symbols going ;-)

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

Actually I prefer power switches since you can much more easily see which part of the refinery is working.

Another big advantage of power switches is that if you use beacons, the beacons won't consume power when idle. I like connecting all late-game beacon setups with power switches to prevent unnecessary power consumption.

socket
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by socket »

Not sure how original this is, but I've made a rather space efficient smelting design:
Compact smelting
Compact smelting
blubelt-compact.png (1.31 MiB) Viewed 17606 times
blueprint string
Unfortunately the output belt has some free space every once in a while (approximately every 90 seconds) due to side-loading into underground belts :( If anyone can find a way to fix it without major hacks while keeping it compact it would be appreciated. I only managed to do it using a mixed ore/plate belt :cry: Should be good for steel smelting though, just need to add a few furnaces to consume full blue belt.

Edit (2016-11-21): fixed it!
Compact smelting (perfect compression)
Compact smelting (perfect compression)
blubelt-perfect.png (1.21 MiB) Viewed 17528 times
blueprint string

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

socket wrote:Not sure how original this is, but I've made a rather space efficient smelting design:
[...]
Very clever design, well done!

hansinator
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by hansinator »

vanatteveldt wrote:
socket wrote:Not sure how original this is, but I've made a rather space efficient smelting design:
[...]
Very clever design, well done!
I like it, too. It reminds me of XKnights smart furnace layout, just with belts. Too sad there is no space for at least 1 combinator per furnace. If there was, then I could make a nice smart furnace out of it.

Indalaa
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Indalaa »

https://gyazo.com/0a0e05918baacbebd89a37fc0c949e21

I have found that the biters don't really know what they are doing when stepping upon a transporter belt.. So for the time being, this is my best defense against a melee biter attack. For spitters you could add a belt in a circle around the turret.

Also, if nearly killed and chased by biters - Place transport belts behind you going in the opposite direction of what you are running. The biters will run unto the belt and slowly (very slowly) walk off the belt, run after you again, run on the belt.. You get the idea xD

Don't know if it is a bug - I just think it's kinda funny that biters turn to complete retards when running on to a trasporter belt :D

Grimakar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Grimakar »

Indalaa wrote:https://gyazo.com/0a0e05918baacbebd89a37fc0c949e21

I have found that the biters don't really know what they are doing when stepping upon a transporter belt.. So for the time being, this is my best defense against a melee biter attack. For spitters you could add a belt in a circle around the turret.

Also, if nearly killed and chased by biters - Place transport belts behind you going in the opposite direction of what you are running. The biters will run unto the belt and slowly (very slowly) walk off the belt, run after you again, run on the belt.. You get the idea xD

Don't know if it is a bug - I just think it's kinda funny that biters turn to complete retards when running on to a trasporter belt :D
That is why lots of basebuilder build belts, esp the blue belts, around the whole base.

hansinator
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by hansinator »

Hi,

I wanted to use socket's smelting as a basis for a smart furnace when I discovered a problem with it. The inserters marked on the picture have problems picking up single items of ore from the underground belt entrances (it's the same for exits). It only works when there's a bunch of items coming. The inserters facing in belt direction have no problems. So unfortunately it is useless for my smart furnace build :(

Yoyobuae
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Yoyobuae »

@hansinator: Someone posted this on reddit a while back:
http://i.imgur.com/HbAiEjw.png

Return to “Show your Creations”