Post your rookie misstakes!

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post your rookie misstakes!

Post by Aeternus »

I'm sure we've all had these moment in Factorio. When after minutes/hours/days of frantically building then bashing your head against a nearby Stone Wall, you finally figure out what you did wrong and go... "durrr... doh."
So, let's share some laughs at our own expense and share experiences. I'll start!

- Tinkering with rail setups was something I enjoyed since figuring out how to build those big trains. My rookie self was fond of dual homed trains since you can just make an easy dead-end track that way. However, my rookie self was used to Transport Tycoon style signalling, so I only built signals on one side of the tracks when doing crossing tracks. It took me a good day to figure out why trains only wanted to go one way.

- Robogrids are great for automating things. The logistics system isn't too smart in detecting a loopback however. Fool me had bots deliver some engines at the start of a small supply belt, then thought to be clever and have the surplus of that belt pushed back into a provider chest so it could be available to other parts again! Genious, right? Well, a few hours later I had some power issues in my relatively small factory. Issue appeared to be roboport related. Turns out there were ~1000 bots moving engines between that provider chest and the requestor chest... Whoops!

- Sometimes you need to make changes to you power plant. It's a given, the thing might need to be expanded... Fool me had a midsized solid fuel based plant that was in the way, so I wanted to move it. So, build the new one in the right location, run the fuel belt, connect up the water... make sure it's getting fueled and is ready. Brilliant! And I can use the buildings from the old one to expand it! So... I'll deconstruct the old plant and... hey, why is the power out? Doh... forgot to run a power line from the new power plant to the factory.

gsezz
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Post your rookie misstakes!

Post by gsezz »

- For a very long time I didn't realize the different machines, and also refinery and chemical plant, have different speeds. I spent hours to figure out perfect ratios on my own, and they never worked.

- Even after 800h I keep forgetting to take the speeds into account. No problem when you are building only one type of machine. But mixing machines with chemical plants messes everything up.

- I stood in rails..... :D

Biggest Misstake:
- I accidentally overwrote my Megabase with a new savegame. Noticed it only weeks later, when every backup was gone.

Atlas
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Atlas »

In early game I had small iron and copper smelteries. However the output was a little too much for the factory and I didn't like to see the furnaces idle, so I started stockpiling items. 18 steel chests full of iron plates and 18 more full of copper. Moving it to the new place was hell.
And I wasn't stockpiling only these. I still have chests somewhere, full of chips, batteries, engines and solid fuel.

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

gsezz wrote:- For a very long time I didn't realize the different machines, and also refinery and chemical plant, have different speeds. I spent hours to figure out perfect ratios on my own, and they never worked.

- Even after 800h I keep forgetting to take the speeds into account. No problem when you are building only one type of machine. But mixing machines with chemical plants messes everything up.

- I stood in rails..... :D

Biggest Misstake:
- I accidentally overwrote my Megabase with a new savegame. Noticed it only weeks later, when every backup was gone.
Oh yes, the 1.25 speed of chemlabs is quite easy to forget, happens to me as well.
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

Return to “Show your Creations”