Late-game refinery (crude -> gas -> rocket fuel)

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Late-game refinery (crude -> gas -> rocket fuel)

Post by vanatteveldt »

I was getting annoyed by my spaghetti pipes so I figured I'd drop to creative mode and design a new refinery, requiring that (1) each refinery+chemplant gets 2 productivity and (2) refineries work full time as long as there is (gas) demand and crude supply.

Circuit logic controls the cracking. I use heavy if heavy > 2k, light if light > PG. This ensures a buffer of heavy for lubricant, and that light is not cracked until needed.

Ignoring edge effects, the ideal ratio of refinery : heavy : light should be 1 : 0.35 : 2.048, or about 3 : 1 : 6. This will produce 22.4 PG/s from 19.2 crude/s (31% gain from productivity).

You can easily expand each row up. To switch cracking from light to heavy, adjust the underground pipe to connect to the heavy pipe. You can also copy a whole 1:6 block.

If you consume lubricant, you can probably get rid of the bottom beacon.

You can later add solid/rocket fuel processing, probably process all light available and process PG if >2k or something like that.
Of course, once you add fuel processing the ideal ratio will be determined by your consumption ratio of gas:fuel.
blueprint
Update: this is the setup I use for making rocket fuel. I use power switches to switch light/gas -> rocket fuel so beacons are also switched off when not processing. My current rules are light -> fuel always as long as light >0; and gas -> fuel only if gas > light. This ensures that gas is first used for plastic/sulphur if needed.

Each chemplant has 6 speed beacons, giving it total output of speed*productivity=4.625*1.2=5.55, which nicely matches the speed of the assemblers with 8 beacons and 4 prod3 modules (5.5).
In total, each assembler outputs 5.5*1.4/30=0.256 rocket fuel per second, consuming 5.5/(3*1.2)=1.53 light or 3.06 gas per second.

A refinery with 5xsp3+2xprod3 produces (4.5/5) * 3.2*1.2=3.46 light plus (1/5)*3.2*1.2=.77 heavy which is converted into .77*.75*1.2=0.69 light, so in total 4.15 light per second, so you need 2.7 light oil -> rocket fuel assemblers per refinery.
If you are not consuming gas at all, each refinery produces (5.5/5) * 3.2 * 1.2=4.22 gas, so you need 1.38 gas->fuel assemblers per refinery.

blueprint
Last edited by vanatteveldt on Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Late-game refinery (crude -> gas)

Post by MeduSalem »

Is it intentional that the one Underground Pipe connecting the Refinery output with the second line of Chemplants is missing?
missing pipe.png
missing pipe.png (233.31 KiB) Viewed 5298 times
I guess that is not intentional either:
rotated pipe.png
rotated pipe.png (157.06 KiB) Viewed 5295 times

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Late-game refinery (crude -> gas)

Post by vanatteveldt »

@#%!

I moved the refinery over to accommodate the heavy gas pipe, and forgot to check afterwards... Original post corrected, thanks! :).

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Late-game refinery (crude -> gas + rocket fuel)

Post by vanatteveldt »

Update: I've added a blueprint for a rocket fuel plant. I should also separate heavy and light cracking so I can produce rocket fuel without converting heavy to gas first, and switch the cracking setups to power switches to preserve power when not in use.

Return to “Show your Creations”