New base with a high richness of enemies :)

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

nepp95
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

New base with a high richness of enemies :)

Post by nepp95 »

Since the scenario map decided to crash on me all the time, I started a normal map with every richness on very good... Didn't know that enemies would come in swarms of 30 in the 10th minute of gametime :mrgreen:
I had a pretty hard time starting it up because the first research i NEEDED was turrets. I needed 6/7 turrets at my mining to not have to start over all the time ;)

Day 1:
DAY 1
DAY 2

Any tips are welcome! My idea was to expand to the west about 50-70 blocks, and then create a bigger factory there for SP3 and maybe additional SP1/2.
Also I would like to start on robotics, so I don't have to repair my walls every 2/3 minutes, but let the robots take care of that. (All research has been done, except for logistic system and the speed/cargo size)
Should I start with some solar energy or expand my steam engines? When under attack my steam engines currently can only JUST handle the laser turrets which go up to 14/15MW when under attack. I sometimes have 2 attacks at the same time. That is hell for my power supply :mrgreen:

Garm
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: New base with a high richness of enemies :)

Post by Garm »

My go to tip: make sure outside walls are at least 2 blocks away from turrets. Either keep 1 empty space between wall and turrets, build 2-thick walls from the go or establish much stronger perimeter. Biters are capable of attacking across the 1 thick walls.

Edit: 2nd tip - Effectivity modules: in high infested areas these will be your life savers, 3 low level modules inside the drill will make it 5 times less dirty. Also more energy for turrets, and less pollution from boilers - win win situation.

nepp95
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by nepp95 »

Hadn't thought about modules yet, this game. Will be sure to check them out on Day 3 (which is basically today...)
I plan on making them 2 thick everywhere but although I have tons of stone, I was so dumb not to make a wall assembler... Having to do it manually takes such a long time :mrgreen:
Will do that now. How many turrets would you place or is this a right amount? It takes 3-5 seconds for the big waves to completely die. They always get to the walls.

Garm
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Garm »

Usually when i dont produce a ton of pollution turret in every other square is fine. As soon as I decide to plase 60+ miners, or kick my factory into overdrive I tend to make a solid like of turrets which eventually get supported by roboports to fix damages. If i am too lazy to establish roboport perimeter i can always increase turret thickness to 3 layers.

nepp95
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by nepp95 »

I am playing right at this moment and just crafted some effectivity modules and have also chosen to increase the amount of turrets from 150 to 300 :mrgreen:
IF they get to the walls, it's a big ass wave of nearly 200 biters, which I get regularly and they get killed within 2 seconds instead of almost 5.

Bleda
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Bleda »

very nice base!

you can either expand or take the challenge of fitting things closer together. believe me, you can fit all science pack production plus modules and capsules inside your current walls. ;)

if you choose to expand, remember that biters are attracted by turrets. this means, you can build outposts of concentrated turrets with a wall around them without the need to have a closed wall around your base. the biters will always attack the turrets first and won't get into your base. that way it's easier for you to get in and out, too.

Garm
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Garm »

Attracted by turrets? what do you mean?

AFAIK biter pathing is solely determined by pollution, only when biters have nowhere to go and being attacked by turrets they would attack them back.

In fact I've made bases, that corralled biters along a corridor while shooting them from the sides - not one attacked the turrets.

Bleda
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Bleda »

oh, for me it always works. as soon as they get attacked by a turret, they would forget about pollution and attack the turret back. maybe in your corridor they just tried to walk around your walls to attack the turrets from behind?

nepp95
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by nepp95 »

I expanded my base a lot yesterday evening ;)
Day 3
My next steps, which I don't yet have a screenshot of are connecting the new smelting facility with the miners, and I have also researched logistic system. I am now working on making everything go more logistic ;)
What I do need is some nice tutorial of those green and red wires, because I never used them at all. Don't get what you can do with it and how. Also, how can I use the power I scrambled into my accumulators, to be used BEFORE the steam engines kick in, so less pollution is generated at night.
I am going to play again now, and will continue to improve my logistics for a while, till I'm satisfied with that. Not a lot of expanding going to happen at this moment.

PS. The reason the smelting is curved is because I liked the way it looked :P

Return to “Show your Creations”