First singleplayer world, super new. Roast me.

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

recursion87
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

First singleplayer world, super new. Roast me.

Post by recursion87 »

Pretty sure last tech researched was advanced oil. I know my sci. pack 2's are in short supply I'm working on that.
20160601013129_1.jpg
20160601013129_1.jpg (570.76 KiB) Viewed 4616 times
20160601013214_1.jpg
20160601013214_1.jpg (742.85 KiB) Viewed 4616 times
20160601013224_1.jpg
20160601013224_1.jpg (737.75 KiB) Viewed 4616 times
20160601013239_1.jpg
20160601013239_1.jpg (787.88 KiB) Viewed 4616 times
20160601013247_1.jpg
20160601013247_1.jpg (697.51 KiB) Viewed 4616 times
20160601013254_1.jpg
20160601013254_1.jpg (719.35 KiB) Viewed 4616 times
20160601013318_1.jpg
20160601013318_1.jpg (858.75 KiB) Viewed 4616 times
20160601013354_1.jpg
20160601013354_1.jpg (113.99 KiB) Viewed 4616 times

Moonheart08
Inserter
Inserter

Re: First singleplayer world, super new. Roast me.

Post by Moonheart08 »

Neato, generally i build high density bases (anything that has purple on it usually has 5-8 purple around it on the map.)
Ill post a pic tommorow
Most of my production can be put in 2 snapshots

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Frightning »

Biggest thing that is common to all of your designs is that you are not using both lanes of your belts. Belts have two lanes, each can carry the same amount of throughput in items. So using both lanes instead of only 1 of them doubles your throughput. Moreover, you can, with some care, have two different item types on the same belt, each in their own lanes, which can greatly compact certain designs (many people do this with Red+Green science, and then Blue+Purple science on 2nd belt later for example).

Getting more into specifics:
I don't usually see people put their furnaces in their ore fields (for one, it would be better to cover that ore with miners), rather, they usually have a dedicated furnace area (not necessarily in their main base, but not on the ore itself at least) and typically bring the ore there by belts or trains if the ore site isn't reasonably close to the furnace area (logistics bots are also an option once the required research is done).

I haven't seen any defenses other than walls, which is alright (actually unnecessary if you set the biters to peaceful) but you probably want to address that (with some actual turrets) before you start getting attacked, fighting off biters with just your own personal weapons can be difficult, and usually takes quite a bit of time, during which the biters are ravaging your walls or worse, your base itself.

Your steam setup is poorly laid out, but that's a consequence of lacking knowledge about how steam engines, boilers, and offshore pumps work. Offshore Pumps can provide 60 Water/sec, each Steam engine can consume a maximum of 6 Water/sec, which if heated to 100C will provide the maximum 510kW of power per steam engine (Pipes can carry a theoretical maximum of 600 Fluid/sec of throughput), Boilers can each contribute enough heat energy to provide 390kW of power via a steam engine (boiler is only 50% efficient versus fuel energy used, so it can use fuel at a rate of 780kW, which is 780kJ/sec (Coal is 8MJ=8,000kJ, Solid Fuel is 25MJ=25,000kJ for comparison). Using the power figures for both and the fact that steam engines and offshore pumps have the consumption and throughput values that they do. It because clear that a 1 Offshore Pump to 14 Boilers to 10 Steam Engines setup is basically ideal, moreover, you can connect them all in a line with the steam engines after the boilers which are (ofc) after the offshore pump. (You can also use pipes, which can be nice to make the setup less lengthy and a bit wider so that it fits nice that it otherwise would).

Using inserters to move items between assembly machines is good especially when it's preferable to avoid placing a variety intermediate items on belts just to feed them into the next machine, though if the throughput rates are dramatically different, than that one item is likely slowing the rest of the process greatly, which is not bad if that is the last assembly machine, and you don't need a ton of that item quickly (e.g. science packs). That said, if you have done the stack size bonus research for your inserters you probably don't need Fast Inserters because assembly machines count as containers and hence moving assembly machine to assembly machine is affected by stack size bonus. If you don't then it's worth checking what the actual throughput will be by mathing out what's the bottleneck, and how fast items need to move through the assembly machine complex to ensure that you have achieved that bottleneck level of throughput.

My last comment is about your pollution and the biters. Assuming they are not set to peaceful, the biters will only attack you if one of their nests is being exposed to your pollution, as it is, that does not appear to be happening. The biters will occasionally establish new nests and you won't necessarily know about it even if they do so within area your Radar has previously explored (you will discover that the nest is there as soon as you either scan that area again with a radar or get near enough to gain vision of it). You can however infer its existence from the pollution map (red hue) fairly easily. You typically see a perimeter of light red hue that flickers on and then off regularly indicating slight pollution entering that chunk and then getting absorbed by the terrain type and any trees in it. Biter bases closer than that will make the red inside your perimeter briefly vanish as they absorb it (and pop out more biters/spitters that will eventually attack you. The more pollution being absorbed by biter nests, the more frequent as severe the attacks will become, so it can be beneficial to remove biter nests that are within (or about to be within) your pollution cloud radius (if you can manage it that is, sometimes the bases are HARD to assault even with tactics like turret creep).
Last edited by Frightning on Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

My eyes! :o

Please automate your power plant! Are you manually inserting fuel into your boilers? Here's some good info: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8854
And read up on what a main bus is. Watch this as an introduction at least: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkP8UyFqmow

You risk your science belt completely locking up if you place same item type on the same belt side. If a lab has red science but needs green and the only thing the inserter can reach is reds then it will not pick up anything. And if your production isn't completely balanced with consumption then it will eventually be filled completely with eg red science packs and all the green science packs will be queued up on the belt out of reach from all labs and everything will stop.

What side is of your wall is the outside in the first picture? You you trying to protect the right side or left? Or the tiny strip of land between the walls?
Frightning wrote: Offshore Pumps can provide 10 Water/sec,

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Frightning »

Qon wrote:~snip~
Frightning wrote: Offshore Pumps can provide 10 Water/sec,
Ty, fixed.

Shokubai
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Shokubai »

I remember my first build. Good times! Go to youtube and watch some JGGames, Arumba, Mangled Pork, Negative Root, Xterminator, etc...and formulate a plan for your next base to try new tricks. Maybe set special rules for yourself to make it interesting.

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

I don't usually see people put their furnaces in their ore fields (for one, it would be better to cover that ore with miners), rather, they usually have a dedicated furnace area (not necessarily in their main base, but not on the ore itself at least) and typically bring the ore there by belts or trains if the ore site isn't reasonably close to the furnace area (logistics bots are also an option once the required research is done).
Actually, with steel furnaces doing a "smelt where you mine" is quite effective. You can set it up so that a field will be completely mined (and smelted), and you save power by inserting directly from the mine into the furnace. Storing plates is also more effective than storing ore as plates go in stacks of 100. See e.g. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6008&start=280#p125509

Tnarg
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tnarg »

read (or just look at the pictures) this:
https://wiki.factorio.com/index.php?tit ... ort_system
it might help

MantisShrimp
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MantisShrimp »

Spaghetti factory. Impossible to expand. Yup, looks like a first world to me. I wouldn't worry about looking at other player's world or watching YouTube in order to build a 'prefect' world. Just play and enjoy the game. Eventually, if you enjoy huge factory, you'll learn to build modular designs that allows you to easier expand. Plenty of people play Factorio for 100+ hours without ever building huge factories. Some people start off huge and never slow down. If your factory does what you need it to do, who cares what it looks it or how inefficient it is.

Return to “Show your Creations”