Is it possible to have too many trains.

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

tehroach
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Is it possible to have too many trains.

Post by tehroach »

I would like to say no, but my PC is starting to show signs of a struggle

Shokubai
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Is it possible to have too many trains.

Post by Shokubai »

That rush hour traffic though.

tehroach
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by tehroach »

Yer in the main centers of the base it is almost like standing next to a freeway, but surprisingly I virtually never get hit by any of the trains.
as I find it easier to dodge the trains when there is so many as you simply walk behind the train that just passed, but standing on a track will get you killed and very soon.

tehroach
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by tehroach »

This is my factory that produces the efficiency 1 module
it is not really in a good spot as I simply shoehorned it into a space where an old copper mine once was, but as I currently only have one train supplying it and one train taking produce, so it works for now :)
but an expansion on the consumption of efficiency 1 modules above its current 3k per trainload will require some track modification

Currently it is limited to only produce a maximum of 3k and is currently waiting on the train, but even at maximum output the design could be expanded quite a bit more and is tileable.

Most of my base, barring the initial base and some of my friends bases are all divided into modules that are completely supplied by train.
The theory being that where ever there is track, my base can supply bulk produce.

If you would like to see more post a comment :)

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

The settings of the combinators on the left top would be interesting

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

To the (hidden) question: Yes, it is possible.

My current map has about 300 trains, nearly always running. It takes up to 50% of the CPU, so that's nearly the limit. But the factory is able to built one rocket with satellite in about 1.3 minutes.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

tehroach
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by tehroach »

ssilk wrote:To the (hidden) question: Yes, it is possible.

My current map has about 300 trains, nearly always running. It takes up to 50% of the CPU, so that's nearly the limit. But the factory is able to built one rocket with satellite in about 1.3 minutes.
Wow that is awesome; you have definitely raised the bar for me :)

I am no where near that stage yet, my base has still got stuff to research, not that I couldn't just research it, but because I like to automate the things that I have before I get new toys.

I wouldn't know exactly how many trains are on my map atm, My Bustrain system has about 2 and 1/2 pages of stops on it with the number of trains equaling 2 x stops + 2, so at least 30 odd trains, just to make navigation of the base easy.

but my Tank Factory keeps a constant supply of about 10 trains and 20 carriages, of which I have depleted on numerous occasions.
Generally I carry a supply of 5 trains and 10 carriages and often find myself returning to the Tank Factory for more.

Do you use mods?
and could I have a look at your map?

AlexTheNotsogreat
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by AlexTheNotsogreat »

I just want to know why the hell you needed that many stations in the first place!!

tehroach
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by tehroach »

brunzenstein wrote:The settings of the combinators on the left top would be interesting
In the circuit there are 2 detectors (mod), 4 combiners and the train actuator(mod)

the 2 detectors wire directly to the input of the 2 "=" combiners and check for the absence of green and red chips (chips = 0) and out put (yellow = 1), their output is then wired to the input of the top ">" combiner which detects (yellow > 0) and outputs (green = 1) wired to the train actuator (green < 2) to hold the train (set to stop for 5 seconds).
The bottom ">" combiner gets input from the two detectors and is set to (trains > 0) and outputs (green = 1) wired to the train actuator, this way the actuator won't tell a freshly arrived train to leave, because the circuit takes 3 ticks to output the correct signal and otherwise would send the new train on its way immediately because of the residue signals left over from before the train arrived.

So even though the train is only set to stay at the station for 5 seconds, the train won't leave the station until it has unloaded all of either its green or red chips.

tehroach
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by tehroach »

AlexTheNotsogreat wrote:I just want to know why the hell you needed that many stations in the first place!!
yep good question :)

I am assuming that you have heard of the "Main Bus" type of mega factory?

Well I am experimenting with a design of "Modular Mega Factory" that should prove to be vastly superior to the "Main Bus Mega Factory" in:
- Potential output
- Expand-ability
and
- Flexibility

Return to “Show your Creations”