Best random map settings for megabase building

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Best random map settings for megabase building

Post by Frightning »

So I think I figured out how to get the best kind of map for building a mega base, and it's not quite what you would expect. One of the major annoyances to maintaining truly massive bases is the constant need to manually reposition ore miners, as well as how terrain (mainly water) can get in the way of expansion. With this in mind, we want to do a few things:

-Make resources have Very Good Richness so the deposits last the longest time possible.
-Make water bodies few and small, but it might be nice to have them show up outside of start area (this last bit is optional). So Very Small size, and Very Low frequency (or start area only)
-Make resource deposits less scattered, so our resource logistics are simplified (we want few, very large and rich deposits). It turns out that changing frequency of resources does not affect the average amount per map area, but rather how scattered the resources are. As a result, setting frequency of resources to very low but size to very big makes for the largest possible ore deposits.

How large are we talking?
Behold!
20160515060625_1.jpg
20160515060625_1.jpg (578.97 KiB) Viewed 5486 times
That thing is so large that it doesn't quite fit vertically even while fully zoomed out!
The distance between the deposits is nice for train usage for hauling in the extreme amounts of resources that such deposits output when covered in mining drills which in turn will generously feed your megabase.

silverkitty23
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Best random map settings for megabase building

Post by silverkitty23 »

You think like 180-degrees opposite of me here on water: the reason for big ol' lakes outside the starting area is that it makes natural choke points for biter control. Also, because having limitations on building placement makes base building more of a puzzle than a chore.

Shokubai
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Shokubai »

Frightning wrote:So I think I figured out how to get the best kind of map for building a mega base, and it's not quite what you would expect. One of the major annoyances to maintaining truly massive bases is the constant need to manually reposition ore miners, as well as how terrain (mainly water) can get in the way of expansion.
You want this Insane Resources by JGGames

And if you are going to have crazy resources in GIANT patches then maybe you want Victory Research too.

I call this. "That's not a resource patch. THAT's a resource patch.
Thats a patch.png
Thats a patch.png (4.35 MiB) Viewed 5092 times
Amount.png
Amount.png (69.85 KiB) Viewed 5068 times
Last edited by Shokubai on Fri May 20, 2016 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

BAM seems there is an 'ore patch-off' ongoing.

Victory research sounds interesting

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Return to “Show your Creations”