Snake in Factorio - Combinator Contraptions

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

ZachAttackary
Inserter
Inserter

Snake in Factorio - Combinator Contraptions

Post by ZachAttackary »

I noticed that there are not many people creating cool stuff with the combinators in factorio. They are infinitely more powerful than redstone in minecraft, yet the coolest thing I could find on the web was your scrolling sign or the christmas light show. I spent the last 10 hours or so making snake in factorio! Check it out and let me know what you think of it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6Y9ycx ... e=youtu.be

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Snake in Factorio - Combinator Contraptions

Post by Koub »

ZachAttackary wrote:the coolest thing I could find on the web was your scrolling sign or the christmas light show.
You didn't search enough : viewtopic.php?p=139707#p139707 :mrgreen:
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

ZachAttackary
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ZachAttackary »

Oh man, that is awesome! I most definitely did not search enough! Thanks for the link!

XKnight
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by XKnight »

I am wondering, how many combinators have you used to make this snake?
Because I see about 150 comb only on your screen, and for some reasons I think this is not the whole system.

Dr. Walrus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Dr. Walrus »

Very interesting! Shooting the constant combinators was pretty smart solution for controlling the game. Similarly I'm working on timing a racetrack and the best solution I could come up with in vanilla was crashing the car into power poles to disconnect a signal.

What I'm most interested in the build is how you made the RNG to control where the apple is placed. I've struggled with making a pseudo RNG and I've gotten nowhere.

And I think that theres a lot more combinator contraptions on here than you realize, but everything is so spread out they're hard to find.

XKnight
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by XKnight »

Does anyone want to take part in snake competition?
Goal is to build snake using as few as possible combinators.

ZachAttackary
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ZachAttackary »

XKnight wrote:I am wondering, how many combinators have you used to make this snake?
Because I see about 150 comb only on your screen, and for some reasons I think this is not the whole system.
It ended up being about 500 combinators. What you are seeing in the picture is just the screen controller and a bit of the snakes memory. I am sure it can be done way more efficiently, this was just my first attempt at combinators. If you watch the video, I show everything near the end.
Dr. Walrus wrote:Very interesting! Shooting the constant combinators was pretty smart solution for controlling the game. Similarly I'm working on timing a racetrack and the best solution I could come up with in vanilla was crashing the car into power poles to disconnect a signal.

What I'm most interested in the build is how you made the RNG to control where the apple is placed. I've struggled with making a pseudo RNG and I've gotten nowhere.
Thanks! I was pretty proud of the controls :) As for the RNG, I kind of cheated and didn't bother making a true SRNG, all I did was have a counter running through all of the screen pixels, and when I ate an apple, what ever that counter was currently on, it put the next apple there. If it would place the apple on the snake, it waits 1/6th of a second and trys again, until it finds a valid apple placement. Since the game clock is variable(as you eat apples, it speeds up), the counter and the game clock never really line up, so it creates a random affect quite nicely.

And for those of you curious, the game speed maxes out at about 12 changes per second, way faster than a human can control. I have it slowed down a ton in order to be playable haha :D

XKnight
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by XKnight »

ZachAttackary wrote: It ended up being about 500 combinators. What you are seeing in the picture is just the screen controller and a bit of the snakes memory. I am sure it can be done way more efficiently, this was just my first attempt at combinators. If you watch the video, I show everything near the end.

And for those of you curious, the game speed maxes out at about 12 changes per second, way faster than a human can control. I have it slowed down a ton in order to be playable haha :D
Hmmmm....
I think it is possible to make 10x10 snake in 40-70 combinators, and definitely with 20-30 changes per second.

ZachAttackary
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ZachAttackary »

XKnight wrote:Hmmmm....
I think it is possible to make 10x10 snake in 40-70 combinators, and definitely with 20-30 changes per second.
Oh I'm sure you could. Like I said, this is my first project with combinators, I am by no means an expert!

Return to “Show your Creations”