moving factory.

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

RockSkunk
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

moving factory.

Post by RockSkunk »

hi all! im still kinda new at this game, but still i wanted to show you what ive built and done.

first things first, i made me a factory,(science pack 2 auto) but i ran out of space to go on... maybe some of you know the feeling...
anyway... still trying to go on, i made a car, and decided to go exploring a bit... and i found this HUGE open field. nothing there, at all.
no trees, no resources, no water, no oil... nothing. so i decided to move my entire factory there... exept for the resource productions.
what ensued was the crushing of half of my buildings, and making 6 long belts to the open area. all my stored stuff in a row.
after about an hour i had all my resources from A to B, i decided to go fancy, and started to rebuild my factory.

some results of the new factory are in the pics.

a map view of all the stuff... as you can see, not that big

this is the factory part... im planning to use the lines in the square as a sort of veins, flowing all through my factory, and using splitters and underground stuff to have them go everywhere when needed.
(still some boxes with random stuff after the moving part near entrance)

intake of resources part 1...

and 2.

i realised i ran out of room when i started the oil rigging... but... now i have all the room i want...
anyway... thats it for this post... i'll show you guys some more in hopefully a few days.

edit: pictures did'nt show... should be fixed.
Last edited by RockSkunk on Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

zytukin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: moving factory.

Post by zytukin »

Pictures don't show

RockSkunk
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by RockSkunk »

should be fixed now...

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

Very nice - I had the same workout with my initial factory as e newcomer.
But - Why not build a automatic running railway system between the two entities?

RockSkunk
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by RockSkunk »

i think its a little to short for a railway... + i dont know how to automate railways yet...

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

This would work fine with a railway. Belts might be easier to setup, but have less throughput and are less flexible - with a railway you can easily decide to move another part of you factory somewhere else again.

Playing with trains is a new challenge, but it's also quite fun. Try not to stand on the tracks when they pass by :-)

See also my post here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20663 for some inspiration :)

RockSkunk
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by RockSkunk »

@vannatteveldt after seeing your railing, i'm going to try it out. looks totally awesome.
(ps. are you dutch?)

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

RockSkunk wrote:@vannatteveldt after seeing your railing, i'm going to try it out. looks totally awesome.
(ps. are you dutch?)

Very much so, I'm afraid :)

Feel free to ask for more details on e.g. the rail setup, schedules etc. BTW, I would recommend checking out the FARL mod for (semi-)automated track laying, and the SmartTrain mod for better scheduling options. Especially the "leave when full" and "wait until empty" are crucial for making sure you don't have trains going between full stations and to make sure they don't spend more time in station than needed.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

"leave when full" e.g. easy implemented would interest many. I want to empty a wagon full with empty oil barrels and load full barrels in one swing to the same waggon and let the train go when finished. How to?

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

brunzenstein wrote:"leave when full" e.g. easy implemented would interest many. I want to empty a wagon full with empty oil barrels and load full barrels in one swing to the same waggon and let the train go when finished. How to?
Barrel mamangement is extra complicated because you "full" and "empty" actually mean full with full/empty barrels.

Nowadays I use the tanker wagon mod, since I want to be able to move lubricant as well (for everything else I'm fine with shipping solid sulphur and plastic, but I don't want to do refining in a belt/robot plant)

What I used to do is:

1) train wagon has 50% spaces reserved for full barrels, 50% for empty barrels
2) at outpost:
- smart inserter to take out only empty barrels, and set to circuit/logistic condition to allow maximum X barrels (to prevent all empty barrels accumulating in a depleted outpost), insert into "input" smart/logistic chest(s)
- assemply plant takes from input chest(s), fills barrel, outputs to "output" chest
- regular/smart inserter to insert full barrels from output chest to wagon
3) at refinery: smart inserter to unload full barrels, via assembly plant, to outpust (empty barrel) chest. No conditions needed

You can't "wait until full" with this setup since trains are at best half full. I guess with the logistic/circuit condition you might not actually need to reserved spaces anymore.

You can also use the smart train stop in the smart trains mod, and use a circuit condition to halt the train until full barrels > X.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

I need it more simple:
I arrive with a full load of empty barrels, unload them (with smart inserter to be refilled in the next shift dedicated to the assembler) to a box to be refilled and load the waiting filed barrels from the Box / assembling machine to the wagon.

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

That works fine with a single oil oupost, but if you have multiple the almost depleted outpost will unload more empty barrels than it can fill, and there won't be empty barrels left for the more productive oil outpost.

So, you need to limit the # of empty barrels that are unloaded, either by limiting chest capacity or by using circuit/logistic condition. Since I build a roboport in every outpost to repair turrets, etc. anyway, that is the easiest for me.

However, once you have limited empty barrel capacity, you also need to limit the amount of empty barrels in the wagon, because otherwise the wagon will be full with empty barrels and you can't load full barrels anymore. This can be done by reserving wagon space, or if you must with a circuit condition on a smart train stop.

Note that the capacity of a train full of barrels is huge, from memory 30 slots, each with 10 barrels with 25 oil, or 7500 oil. So even with 10 pumps pumping at 3/s it'll take more than 4 minutes to fill up a single wagon. So, you almost never need the full capacity of even a single wagon...

(similarly, a steel chest full of barrels has much more capacity than a tanker, but of course making all the barrels is pretty expensive...)

(Note also that this annoying barrel optimization game is why I much prefer tanker wagons, even if their capacity is a lot lower...)

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

I tried to install the mod Rail Tanker 1.1.3 but the wagon don't show up - anyhow - as far as the rumors goes the upcoming version if Factorio will contain tankers. So I wait...

ske
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ske »

RockSkunk wrote: Image
This makes me think of the thief thing. Normally, in the game, there is no need to place down walls. At least as soon as you have laser towers and plenty solar power, you just build more laser towers and simply dominate the map by raw power. Now imagine if there was a kind of enemy unit which avoids towers and tries to steal some of your precious items. It's a weak kind of enemy which can't tear down walls and so building a walled garden fends them off.

Congrats to your style, I guess it's no coincidence you've posted the images to deviantart :)

Return to “Show your Creations”