WIP: compartmentalized factory

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

WIP: compartmentalized factory

Post by vanatteveldt »

Inspired by the how do you build your factory thread I decided to try something new, with specialized sub-factories on separate islands linked with an extensive rail network.
Setup and rules
old screenshot
Last edited by vanatteveldt on Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: WIP: compartmentalized factory

Post by vanatteveldt »

Progress: Blue science

The basics are done. We now have the following factories / companies:

- Codelco: copper smelting
- Corus: iron/steel smelting
- Rail Works
- Stone works (stone, brick, concrete)
- Silicon valley, including Intel (red circuits) and research
- DHL Logistics (belts, inserters)
- DSM Chemicals (sulphur and plastics from crude + coal)
- Hemweg: coal plant
base overview pictures
Evaluation:
- It's sort of fun, at least if you like playing with trains :)
- Building a plant a lot more work than simply branching off a main bus, since most factories have 3+ inputs and 1+ outputs, so every factory has a pretty big rail yard
- Scalability should be really good due to the simplicity of each design and the ability to build away from the station in all directions. The throughput of rail shipping and the . Warehousing (un)loading can become a bottleneck, but logistics robot should be able to fix that.
- Inventory management for bulk goods is quite good with trains only running when needed, with retail goods it's more difficult.

Plans:
- Build a robots plant ("US Robotics & Mechanical Men"), so I can *finally* start using blueprints
- Retools some/all of the existing factories to use logistics. I'm curious how many robots you need to replace the belt in smelting plants and mines.
- Build a blue circuit plant ("IBM") and a weapons factory ("Si vis Pacem")
- Get purple science going and acquire more oil (https://xkcd.com/1191/ :-) )
- Build "General Electrics" (mines, other commodities) and a central warehouse for stuff I like to carry around

Alekthefirst
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Alekthefirst »

dude i absolutely love your map
Factorio is a game about automating everything. One day, i hope i can automate shitty signatures just like this one.

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

I made some progress: US Robotics and IBM were "founded", and I cleared the part of the island S of the starting base (Silicon Valley). This was a bit annoying as I didn't have any artifacts yet, but evolution was already >80%, so I had to use turret creep to harvest some artifacts. I now have power armor + portable fusion and started researching some purple techs. I'm building a new oil outpost on the E, and will also use that as a base to clear the rest of that island - I need to get to combat robots 3 and power armor 2 before behemoths start appearing...

NightCabbage
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by NightCabbage »

This looks cool :)

I'm wondering how you do the bridges?

I notice you're using mods... (ie. I see warehouses...) - could you provide a list of mods you're using?

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

Progress: cleared out the E and added an oil outpost; built FoxConn (modules) and started on Sivis Pacem (weapons), also increased green circuit capacity. Will post some screens later!

@NightCabbage:
I build the bridges either manually with landfill, but mostly with FARL's "bridge water" option (which uses a ton of concrete)

Mods:
advanced-logistics-system_0.2.10.zip (haven't used it yet, seems unaware of logistic warehouses)
color-coding_1.0.7.zip
EvoGUI_0.4.10.zip
expanded_tools_1.0.1.zip
FARL_0.4.41.zip
Foreman_0.0.9.zip
InitialScan_0.1.3.zip
Landfill_2.1.7.zip
launch-control_0.1.2.zip
Orbital Ion Cannon_1.0.6.zip
Piano_Player_0.1.0.zip
RailTanker_1.1.2.zip
rso-mod_1.4.6.zip
SmartTrains_0.3.7.zip
STRS_0.0.5.zip
Warehousing_0.0.6.zip
YARM_0.7.12.zip

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

This looks really nice. I did the same for my factory. But everything is about factor 20 times bigger and not so nice. :) Currently running around 200 trains.

In my opinion the biggest problem of this setup is, that there is so much not useable items in each station, waiting for transport or moving on belts or in wagons that the basic setup needs to be really big, otherwise it cannot fill up the gaps.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

NightCabbage
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by NightCabbage »

Excellent! Thank you very much :)

I'm currently running no mods, but might pick a few up if they seem to make the game better! Some form of bridges or landfill would be great for an island map!

Return to “Show your Creations”