Light progress bar with combinators

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

xaviershay
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Light progress bar with combinators

Post by xaviershay »

Hello everyone,

New player here :)

For my first combinator experiment, I added a progress bar to my smart assembler line. You set how many of a thing you want with the constant combinator, and when that many are in the chest production stops. The three lamps turn on at 33%, 67%, and 100% completion respectively.

You read it right-to-left (that's just how my factory was laid out). The messiest part is that each good needs to have a corresponding signal channel (belt -> [0], lamp -> [1], etc). That signal contains how many of the good should be made.

There are two parts. The first is the middle divisor combinator, that calculates the "chunk" size for the progress bar (total / number of lamps)
Arithmetic [0] / 3. That then feeds into the multiplication combinators, of which you need 1 per lamp. A decider is also connected to each input.

Code: Select all

Decider (Filter) --+---------------------+-- Lamp ( number of goods >= [0] )
[0] = [0] / 3      --->   [0] = [0] * 1 -/
The Decider combinator is a filter: it needs to strip the original [0] signal from the circuit. It's input is the circuit network that includes the smart chest and the constant combinator (number of goods we want.) It is set up: if belt > 0, output belt count. You need one of these per lamp - if you connect a single one to all three lamps then it mixes up the arithmetic signals.

It's pretty fiddly to set this up right. Not being able to visualize wires easily, nor reset them if I mis-click made for a lot of remaking! I'd like to come up with a better way that allows for > 3 lamps without having to use extra vertical space, and that is easier to set up so I can use on many different chests.

Hopefully this is useful to someone!

Xavier

xaviershay
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Light progress bar with combinators

Post by xaviershay »

aha, figured out what the green wire was for - you can separate circuits! Using that, you can do something much simpler:

This is _much_ easier to wire up :)

Since the arithmetic -> lamp connections are now on the separate green circuit, you can reuse any arbitrary signal (I use blue/green) for the math. The filter decider is no longer necessary. The lamps have two inputs now: red wire connects to the "logistics" network, containing how many goods there are, and the green containing the output of the chunk math.

Kalanndok
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Kalanndok »

Actually the lamps only need the final output signal (let's say "A") on one (let's say green) wire (like "Display 74%). Nothing else.
Each lamp then gets its own conditions when to light up. First lamp if A > 5, second if A > 15, last if A > 95 (for a 10-lamp-status bar).
With that design you can blueprint the display and the arithmetics indepenently from each other and interchange them as it is required.

xaviershay
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by xaviershay »

ah neat, thanks

Return to “Show your Creations”