The farthest I've gotten so far...

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

VanSinn
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

The farthest I've gotten so far...

Post by VanSinn »

Hey, guys. I got this game a while back, and watched a few videos, figured a few things out on my own, and I think I finally have a set up that gets up to blue science in a fairly orderly way. I'm absolutely convinced that there are better ways to do what I've got here, and I'll definitely be working on improving the whole thing. However, this is as far as I've ever gotten, and I'm in a bit of a pickle. I have no idea where to go from here, what I should be looking to build, or how to keep it from becoming a complete mess that makes my brain hurt.

A few tips on how to proceed from here would be most welcome!

Here's my science set up. I'm really happy with how red and green science is laid out, and blue science is the tidiest set up I've come up with to date.

Typical circuit setups similar to those I've seen on these forums and on youtube and whatnot, absolutely not my own creation.

Oil set up, a few tips taken from others, but the overall setup (while pretty standard) isn't a copy/paste, at least.

And how it all ties in together.

Any tips for improving the efficiency of my layout would be appreciated, but mostly I'm just kinda wondering where to go from here. Thanks in advance!

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: The farthest I've gotten so far...

Post by DaveMcW »

In the green science setup, you can run transport belts and inserters off one gear assembler. ;)

Blue science is actually the hardest part, after that everything is about making your life easier.

If you just want to finish the game, collect 300 alien artifacts and head for the rocket silo. You'll probably want some power armor and distractor capsules to help with that.

VanSinn
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by VanSinn »

DaveMcW wrote:In the green science setup, you can run transport belts and inserters off one gear assembler. ;)

Blue science is actually the hardest part, after that everything is about making your life easier.

If you just want to finish the game, collect 300 alien artifacts and head for the rocket silo. You'll probably want some power armor and distractor capsules to help with that.
That's the way I had it set up originally, but the single gear assembler wasn't quite keeping up with both. The Inserter assembler had a brief tick of downtime every 2-3 cycles. So, yeah, the second gear assembler is overkill, but I like having it there :p

Thanks for the other tips, though! I wanna mess around with trains and robots, neither of which I've gotten to in other factories I've made. I'll do some messing around, and if I come up with something nifty (yes, I did just say "nifty") I may show it off in the future.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

VanSinn wrote:That's the way I had it set up originally, but the single gear assembler wasn't quite keeping up with both.
Oh, your problem there is inserters. You need a fast inserter feeding iron plates into gears.

VanSinn
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by VanSinn »

DaveMcW wrote:
VanSinn wrote:That's the way I had it set up originally, but the single gear assembler wasn't quite keeping up with both.
Oh, your problem there is inserters. You need a fast inserter feeding iron plates into gears.
O.o

Hmmmm. Just went back and redid it with one gear assembler. I could have sworn I'd tried it with fast inserters and was getting that downtime, but I was apparently incorrect. Thanks for the comments! Corrected a noobish mistake. :p

DerivePi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DerivePi »

My strategy starting from blue science:
- Advanced Oil Refining
- Military - advanced ammo (normally shotgun these days), distractor bots and poison
- Defense - Lasers and Walls
- Medium and large electric poles
- solar panels and accumulators
- Railroad (although your map doesn't need it)
- Robots - Logistic and construction (I'm not much of a robot player though - you may want this sooner)
- Mess around with automated delivery and storage systems using wires and combinators

chapium
Inserter
Inserter

Post by chapium »

You are going to want more oil and ore as you start building each component for rocket defense. I'd start building a train network to ship in more resources.

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Pretty nice setups I must say. :) Not sure how if your circuit machines are running at full speed or not, but if they aren't you might need to use some fast inserters to transfer the cable into the circuit machines. I could be wrong though.

As for what to do after Blue Science... Well there is quite a lot of stuff you can play around with in regards to robots and the logistics network. Trains are always fun but not sure you need them.
Could get better combat equipment like power armor and combat shotgun and combat robots etc and go kill some aliens. :D That's what I docwhen I'm bored. Lol
Could just head straight for the rocket will which in and of itself will take a while and require killing aliens anyway for the artifacts.
Image Image Image

Return to “Show your Creations”