My Factorio Game Setup

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

My Factorio Game Setup

Post by TheSAguy »

I came across Factorio when it was in early version 0.7 and just love how it’s been progressing and especially how the modding community is coming along! I’m excited about steam workshop and seeing what is going to come out of that!

The way I play is to try and make the game very challenging. I play with a lot of mods to enhance the game play. I’ve made a lot of small edits to the mods I use to suite my game play.
MODS being used
Edits to MODS

Game Setup:

I play with a Maze like map, since I play with pretty tight resources and the Enemy mods do ramp up the bitter difficulty.
To do this I use Terrain Segmentation = High and Water = Big. This give you a good Maze like map with chock points to defend and you can expand to the next chock point. Landfill mod is also extremely powerful on this type of map, hence my cost changes.
MAZE Like Map
All resource distributions should be handed by RSO, but just in case it’s not, I change all resources as follow: Frequency: Low, Size: Small, Richness Very Good.
Enemy bases I change to Frequency: Very High, Size: Big, Richness Very Good.
Again, this should not matter, since RSO handles this, but just in case ;)

Some Screens from the game:

You can create Mote’s where there are only a few land tiles touching:
(This is OP, hence the cost adjustment.)
Motes
You get waves of attacks and have to keep your boundaries upgraded and ready for it!
The Evolution display is also good, so you know where you’re at as far as the size of enemies.
Attacks
By playing this way I feel I get great game progression. Keeps getting more and more challenging as you have to go further out to get resources and the enemies keep expanding. (They start very small, but grow!)
Well, that’s how I play Factorio and have a blast doing it.

Thoughts / Suggestions / How do you play?
Thanks
Last edited by TheSAguy on Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: My Factorio Game Setup

Post by orzelek »

Looking at your RSO changes - you think you could use config factor to multiply resource and enemy sizes globally ?
It's quite easy to add and would save you some editing I think :D

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

Orzelek,
I've attached my RSO with the edits I made.
Thanks for fixing the Starting Area and Global Resource variables. Those came in very handy.
I feel like these changes I made prevents most huge resource spawns. I tested it with quite a few re-starts and map reveals. Not 100% by getting there :)
Attachments
rso-mod_1.0.18.zip
RSO
(24.59 KiB) Downloaded 204 times

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

TheSAguy wrote:Orzelek,
I've attached my RSO with the edits I made.
Thanks for fixing the Starting Area and Global Resource variables. Those came in very handy.
I feel like these changes I made prevents most huge resource spawns. I tested it with quite a few re-starts and map reveals. Not 100% by getting there :)
I'm not sure about applying all of those - how huge are the resource spawns?
I noticed that the size definition for resource is treated a bit loosely by the code and it can deviate from it. Maybe those are the ones you mean?

I was thinking about additional resource fields size mod for config so that editing of actual resource configs wouldn't be needed for this.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Moved to "Show your creations". Keeped link.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

orzelek wrote:

I was thinking about additional resource fields size mod for config so that editing of actual resource configs wouldn't be needed for this.
Yeah, I was thinking about something like this also. A global modifier that can be applied to the Min and Max values.
GlobalSize = 1
size={min=6*GlobalSize, max=10*GlobalSize},

They probably have to be whole values, so Roundup(min=6*GlobalSize)
Obviously me code is not right, just context.
Nor sure if min and max need to have their own and max should always be bigger than min, so maybe max can be min+sometihng.

Pajamas
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Pajamas »

Thanks for sharing this - I've been looking for a new way to play the game. I'm trying this out with a little less terrain segmentation so I have more room to build. I know this will mean larger fronts to be attacked on as well, but it's worth a shot! I'm curious how you handle trains in a map like yours with so much water. Any updated progress screenshots we could take a peek at? Thanks again. :D

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

Honestly I've never used trains once if all my Factorio games....
I love my long conveyor belts!

Expansion in my games are actually pretty straight forward and you have tons of room. You expand from one choke point to the next and just move your turret-wall :)

Does anyone know how one can upload the Factorio Maps, so people can view my entire base?
I've seen if before, but don't know how they do it. I use the Factorio Maps mod to create it, but hoe to I share the maps?
Thanks.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

The map is a zip file in https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... _directory under "saves".

You just need to upload it in your post.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Show your Creations”