Welcome To Islands

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

Dry Hairy Tree
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Welcome To Islands

Post by Dry Hairy Tree »

I don't even know what a map string is sorry. Big water settings, generated maps till I liked one. Had a walkabout on a few to find a reasonably close large water body.

Plastic allowed electric smelting allowing batteries allowing accumulators. I can start shutting down parts of the mainland as I convert remaining facilities (mining, oil) to stand-alone solar.

The tricky part is deciding what to break down - what don't I need now - if i just produce duplicates on the island I'll double my power demand, so I have to work out demolition/solar conversions in an orderly fashion.

Right, back to (avoiding) work :mrgreen:
Attachments
Oceania8Accumulation.jpg
Oceania8Accumulation.jpg (267.41 KiB) Viewed 6165 times

Dry Hairy Tree
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dry Hairy Tree »

While waiting for accumulators to accumulate I thought I'd try solve something I've wanted to do for some time - green circuits off a single line.

This is the result. I typically design horizontally so I can see better, it's a bit non-uniform, but it'll work just fine - the stack inserter research allows the long inserters to drop off two cables at once. Building demand will determine where the cable in the center goes. I'll watch it when I can be bothered but a stack of accumulators are done - I'm off to retrofit mainland mining and shut down mainland smelting.
Attachments
Oceania9GreenDesign.jpg
Oceania9GreenDesign.jpg (101.28 KiB) Viewed 6152 times

Dry Hairy Tree
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dry Hairy Tree »

By cutting the iron and copper ore belts at the mining source, I was able to let machines bleed out the lines instead of picking up vast quantities of ore. The last resources are being taken up now.

Iron, copper and some future stone are all retrofitted with solar, and production is automatically outbound for the island via trains. Coal needs a retrofit, oil needs some accumulators.

Am watching pollution levels closely on the map, they are thinning on the mainland since I transferred power. Hopefully they'll thin considerably more as I remove almost everything dirty. I am not switching to solar on the island yet - it's a matter of available real estate.
Attachments
Oceania10WindingDown.jpg
Oceania10WindingDown.jpg (243.42 KiB) Viewed 6149 times

Dry Hairy Tree
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dry Hairy Tree »

I wanted a building store on the island fairly quickly and set up the gears and circuits - all the while the fact I gotta set up science again is in the back of my mind. Then I realise :idea: I'm almost there, so I finished the job.

This is the easiest science set up I've done. Just too easy. 2 assemblers! But of course the gears and circuits need to be made first - but then I also have the bare bones of a building store ready to go. Definitely a sweet way to start in future - for my play style at least. Blue Science will be easier too.

I took a look at the original mainland build - 7 assemblers (not including science assemblers here) dedicated to science before I went and made a circuit and gear line. We live and learn.

Edit - yes, I spotted that I need to put a fast inserter inserting the inserter assembly :lol:
Attachments
Oceania11NewScience.jpg
Oceania11NewScience.jpg (241.85 KiB) Viewed 6145 times
Last edited by Dry Hairy Tree on Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

Dry Hairy Tree wrote:I don't even know what a map string is sorry.
On the load game screen on the bottom, select your save file then click map exhange string and a window will pop up with the map string. From there you can select it and Ctrl-C to copy it to your clipboard
Attachments
mapexchange.png
mapexchange.png (132.27 KiB) Viewed 6142 times

Dry Hairy Tree
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dry Hairy Tree »

Oh ok, thank you for the help.

There is no early saves for this map. It's mine I crafted this thing by hand folks gonna have to build their own :!: :D

Dry Hairy Tree
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dry Hairy Tree »

There's only power to the (nearly depleted) 3 x landfill/stone mining sites on the mainland now. This place is deserted.

Pollution is fading. This is just after I dismantled everything, so the full effect won't be seen yet. But there was pollution past what i could see to the East, and now there is not. :D
Attachments
Oceania12GhostTown.jpg
Oceania12GhostTown.jpg (415.28 KiB) Viewed 6134 times
Oceania13PollutionFading.jpg
Oceania13PollutionFading.jpg (139.46 KiB) Viewed 6134 times

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Dry Hairy Tree wrote: There is no early saves for this map. It's mine I crafted this thing by hand folks gonna have to build their own :!: :D
The map exchange string is only the settings + seed of the map, it's not the actual savefile. It allows others to get the same starting conditions. None of the things you've done since you first landed on the planet is in the string.
My mods: Capsule Ammo | HandyHands - Automatic handcrafting | ChunkyChunks - Configurable Gridlines
Some other creations: Combinassembly Language GitHub w instructions and link to run it in your browser | 0~drain Laser

IronGator
Inserter
Inserter

Post by IronGator »

building my island base naww! :D

Dry Hairy Tree
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dry Hairy Tree »

Thanks Qon and others for help.

Here's the map string. Biters are on low frequency and small size - don't say I didn't warn you if you like lots of them.

>>>AAANAAkAAgABBQYAAAAEAAAAY29hbAMFBQoAAABjb3BwZXItb3Jl
AgUFCQAAAGNydWRlLW9pbAMFBQoAAABlbmVteS1iYXNlAgIFCAAAAGl
yb24tb3JlAgUFBQAAAHN0b25lBQUFbCBOHICEHgCAhB4ABQBZJUv6<<
<

Dry Hairy Tree
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dry Hairy Tree »

Y'all can build your silly rockets.

I'm gonna get rescued! :lol:
Attachments
Oceania14RescuePlan.jpg
Oceania14RescuePlan.jpg (270.09 KiB) Viewed 6438 times

ChurchOrganist
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ChurchOrganist »

Dry Hairy Tree wrote:Here's the map string. Biters are on low frequency and small size - don't say I didn't warn you if you like lots of them.
Awesome - I'll give it a try when I've finished my current Vanilla map :)

Or maybe even before that :)
Want to know where the biters chewing your power plant have come from??
Wondering where your next iron is going to come from??
You need Long Range Radar

Dry Hairy Tree
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dry Hairy Tree »

Nice. Should I not include map spoilers here then? I've barely surveyed the mainland at all but I've thrown a radar across the other side of the lake. It cost massive stone just to cut a thin path it's good to be conservative at first.

I cleaned up the mainland but there's some spawners turned up within my pollution. I don't even have basic armor but that will change soon enough. I have a very small pollution cloud so if i remain proactive there shouldn't be too much evolution occurring.

I have sorted the oil better. I crafted the blue sci for advanced oil so I could straighten stuff out a little before I made a blue sci set up which again came easy with the gears/circuits supplied. It's all belt hell but some robots are on the agenda for construction as usual. Everything seems to be holding up. It's time to attempt a new version of a building store supplied with too many belts and not enough prior investigation :mrgreen:

Yes, I know the science assembly ratios are off. And I don't care.
Attachments
Oceania15BlueScience.jpg
Oceania15BlueScience.jpg (324.05 KiB) Viewed 6389 times

Dry Hairy Tree
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dry Hairy Tree »

Well, I'm going to do a map reveal as I have discovered a thing which I have read others hoping they can discover such a thing.

An island in the middle of water, with resources. This has enough room for a large factory with plenty of stone to be filling in any desired edges. Plenty of copper, starting coal supply, a decent oil supply... If it had iron I might be a little tumescent right now :lol:
Attachments
Oceania16NewLands.jpg
Oceania16NewLands.jpg (87.4 KiB) Viewed 6350 times

Dry Hairy Tree
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dry Hairy Tree »

Well, the map string generates some horrible crap that doesn't resemble this map at all. The map generator seems well and truly broken right now too. To the north I have islands cut off by straight lines, terrain boundaries that sweep in circles on newly generated maps... it's rubbish.

Again I spend long hours to discover fatal flaws.

My apologies to those who've tried my map string I had no idea it was broken.

I watched a vid series of 'Four fellas play Factorio' recently. Arumba and three others spent hours and hours running round building a huge bus while constantly asking, have we got any plate, have we got any belts, have we got....?

It was the most disorganized way to build. :shock: In the time 4 of them had a huge machine making nothing but things for the machine.... I had a building store making mining/building/power/robot/oil etc supplies. I had stacks of everything, they had a main bus and crafted everything just about.

With this style of play I choose what i want to do and make it happen tailored to my plans. That includes going large. A main bus is restrictive, boring, good for rockets and little else.

DHT out, till the game generates proper maps.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Dry Hairy Tree wrote:Well, the map string generates some horrible crap that doesn't resemble this map at all. The map generator seems well and truly broken right now too. To the north I have islands cut off by straight lines, terrain boundaries that sweep in circles on newly generated maps... it's rubbish.

I watched a vid series of 'Four fellas play Factorio' recently. Arumba and three others spent hours and hours running round building a huge bus while constantly asking, have we got any plate, have we got any belts, have we got....?

It was the most disorganized way to build. :shock: In the time 4 of them had a huge machine making nothing but things for the machine.... I had a building store making mining/building/power/robot/oil etc supplies. I had stacks of everything, they had a main bus and crafted everything just about.

With this style of play I choose what i want to do and make it happen tailored to my plans. That includes going large. A main bus is restrictive, boring, good for rockets and little else.

DHT out, till the game generates proper maps.
The 0.13.10 updtae fixed the broken map generator. The reason you see weird artifacts is because you see the edge between the 0.13.0-9 map generator and the new 0.13.10 map generator and not because of any flaw. Either stay below 0.13.10 or continue like this. The edges you see wont be fixed ever. But you won't see any edges like this past the ones you have now unless they change the map generator again.

Yeah I go a bit crazy watching lets players hand craft everything. The main bus is horrible because of many reasons. Promoting hand crafting of everything because it is so hard to automate everything with it is just one of it's fatal flaws. My new version of the BS is the BBS: Bussed Building Stores. It's a bit like a main bus but the branches are fairly regular building stores and nothing on the bus are produced inside the BBS so the bus part is probably 50 times smaller. It combines the strength of the MB with the BS and removes the weaknesses of both. I'll make a proper post about this in the BS thread and maybe make my own thread later down the line when it is perfected and I can explain it to newbs.
My mods: Capsule Ammo | HandyHands - Automatic handcrafting | ChunkyChunks - Configurable Gridlines
Some other creations: Combinassembly Language GitHub w instructions and link to run it in your browser | 0~drain Laser

Dry Hairy Tree
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dry Hairy Tree »

The 'fixed' map generator produces this type thing regularly... I got this off the latest version this morning.

I got a few versions of this type thing this morning and gave up. If that's fixed, i aint impressed. :lol:

I did a BS with 4 belts on the new island. You can totally pull off four mixed belts with a few underground belts thrown in and the odd filter inserter if reaching over to the fourth as an inserter transfer is involved. I sent red circuits, batteries, steel, iron, copper, gears, circuits - made blue circuits and modules from incoming red and green... Pretty sorted but still complicated figuring which belts are best for the inside and outside, which to mix with which... will get there, so many components to consider adding... But in the meantime - maps suck :mrgreen:

The BBS sounds really good. I'm hoping to dial up a nice map so I can try my gear/circuit line as a starting move - to red sci, BS, green,, BS, etc I think it will flow really well but attention to throughput will be important. Wouldn't want to spend my time running round with nothing to build with... ;)

Really annoyed that map seed won't generate - I wanted to restart as minimally as possible and go straight onto that large island I found. I'd save so much on landfill (like a million stone) and most pollution would all be so far removed from the mainland (needs iron only) I reckon I could almost launch a rocket without a single attack. So I'm legging it round maps looking for cool oceans/islands but I keep finding this circular crap.
Attachments
WTH.jpg
WTH.jpg (57.6 KiB) Viewed 6301 times

siggboy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by siggboy »

Dry Hairy Tree wrote:I got a few versions of this type thing this morning and gave up. If that's fixed, i aint impressed. :lol:
I saw a few island seeds on reddit today with the same kind of thing. Apparently, if the starting area is an island or a peninsula, then you get a perfectly circular island. It looks as if the map generator simply draws a circle of land so that it fits the minimum size of the starting area. Sort of.

BTW your islands idea has inspired me. I'm definitely going to make an islands base myself in my first real 0.13 game. With trains connecting everything. It's going to be grand.

So thanks for this wonderful idea (I played with landfill mod in 0.12 but it never occured to me to try this).
Is your railroad worrying you? Doctor T-Junction recommends: Smart, dynamic train deliveries with combinator Magick

Dry Hairy Tree
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dry Hairy Tree »

siggboy wrote:
BTW your islands idea has inspired me. I'm definitely going to make an islands base myself in my first real 0.13 game. With trains connecting everything. It's going to be grand.

So thanks for this wonderful idea (I played with landfill mod in 0.12 but it never occured to me to try this).
You're welcome. But half the credit for the idea belongs to Qon.

Trains and islands are great fun.

Here's a one way-one track loop joining into two x one way-two track loops.

And an entrance to the first island I made. A bit overkill. :D

This current map I have very few entry defenses (that's it in the photo - none lol) but the positioning has determined my outposts should be hit well before my entrance is in danger. So I don't care till the outposts run out and I move them.
Attachments
Oceania18MakinTracks.jpg
Oceania18MakinTracks.jpg (69.32 KiB) Viewed 6240 times
GrandEntrance.png
GrandEntrance.png (1.32 MiB) Viewed 6240 times

Return to “Show your Creations”