[MOD 0.10.2] Resource Spawner Overhaul - v1.0.2

Replaces resource spawning system, so that the distances between resources are much bigger. Railway is needed then.

Moderators: orzelek, Dark

Align
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.10.2] Resource Spawner Overhaul - v1.0.2

Post by Align »

I'll second the praise (realized I never did that in this thread), I was actually disappointed the first time I started a sandbox in vanilla Factorio, like "wtf there's so much resources, this is too easy" and fiddled with richness and frequency without ever getting something I was happy with. Was so glad to find this mod, it's exactly what I wanted.

Molay
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Molay »

I've played a fair amount of time and I do love the mod.
Here is one thing which I would like to suggest though, and I think this might be pretty cool if feasible:

Adding some sort of "Biter bases on resources" bias which can be set in the config file.
MAX value: would result in pretty much every resource being covered by the biter bases (except starting location obviously)
MEDIUM value: would have them be either on or not on resources, depending on how far you pick above the absolute middle this can favor either on or off resource bases.
MINIMUM value: would make sure biters never have bases on resources.

I think this would give people with different playstyles the tool to create a map how they enjoy it most.

I for example would probably like a very high/near max setting, to have every new resource field feel like a challenge. Other people that just love building stuff might be happy about the option to have no biters cover their resources, meaning they can focus on the part of the game they love most.

Additionally, there could be a distance setting of sorts. Making it more likely that biters are on resources the further away you are if you so chose. Similar to how resources are richer the farther away, biters would be biased to have bases on resources the farther you go.

Those are just a few thoughts of something I personally would really like.

Align
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Align »

Oh, I wanted to ask other people about this - do you guys get biter attacks? I usually don't bother with turrets except for outposts. The distances created by using this mod seems to make pollution a much smaller issue, though admittedly I'm keen on high efficiency and keep my pollution as low as possible.

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

I do get biter attacks, but I don't really watch pollution (in fact, I make it a point to avoid solar power). But yeah, biters are a lot less dense using RSO.
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

Align
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Align »

Will this mod have to be updated to create spitter spawners properly?

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

*edit* I've edited this post to properly list all changes I made to make this mod work well with 0.11, so it may make less sense in the discussion now.

To make RSO also handle the new spitter spawners, you'll need to make the following changes. This is all quite hackish, a proper programmer would probably do this very differently :)

1. Edit rso-mod\prototypes\base.lua and add this line near the bottom:

Code: Select all

add_peak(data.raw["unit-spawner"]["spitter-spawner"],{influence=-1000})
2. edit rso-mod\config.lua, around line 135 add the following line:

spitter_probability=0.25,  -- Chance to spawn a spitter-spawner instead of a biter-spawner (0.25 = 1 in 4)
3. Then edit rso-mod\control.lua, around line 433 find the following block of code:

if game.gettile(s_x, s_y).valid and game.canplaceentity{name=ent, position={s_x, s_y}} then
      _total = _total + richness
      debug("@ "..s_x..","..s_y)
       game.createentity{name=ent, position={s_x, s_y}, force=game.forces[r_config.force], amount=richness, direction=rgen:random(4)}
    end
And replace that with:

if game.gettile(s_x, s_y).valid and game.canplaceentity{name=ent, position={s_x, s_y}} then
      _total = _total + richness
      debug("@ "..s_x..","..s_y)
	  if rgen:random() < r_config.spitter_probability then
	    game.createentity{name="spitter-spawner", position={s_x, s_y}, force=game.forces[r_config.force], amount=richness, direction=rgen:random(4)}
	  else
        game.createentity{name=ent, position={s_x, s_y}, force=game.forces[r_config.force], amount=richness, direction=rgen:random(4)}
	  end
    end
This is kinda random, so some camps may have 5 biters and no spitters, others may have 5 spitters and no biters, and everything inbetween. So far, midgame the balance seems ok, only just getting to big biters though, haven't seen big spitters yet.
Last edited by Boogieman14 on Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

pyrolytic_tungsten
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by pyrolytic_tungsten »

I do like this mod but dark hasn't been here since September 16 so I'm not sure if he will come back to update the mod. I really would like to see this mod updated for 0.11 .

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

So far, my changes above haven't acted up. I also haven't done any combat in this game yet though, so still no clue about proper balance.

I'm a bit reluctant to turn my updates into a release though, both for lack of permission from Dark and because of the hackish nature of my fix. I'll send Dark a PM, hopefully he still at least monitors the email address he registered with :)

Align
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Align »

I must've copied something wrong then, I still got hordes of spitters when generating new areas
EDIT: Whoops, forgot to add that line to base.lua.

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

Align wrote:I must've copied something wrong then, I still got hordes of spitters when generating new areas
Did you also copy the first line into base.lua?

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

Ok, I haven't heard back from Dark yet, but I suppose it can't hurt to provide a user-fixed release.

Credits for this mod are still Dark's, all blame over the 0.11 changes is mine :)
Changelog for unofficial 1.0.3
Attachments
rso-mod_1.0.3.zip
(15.41 KiB) Downloaded 400 times

Dantounet
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Dantounet »

Hi there.

So i tryed the 1.0.3 in multiplayer this night, and my feelings are pretty good !

We played it 2 players only, because with this mod the map is every time getting bigger and bigger and we can't handle it with 3 or 4 players atm (btw i can't handle 4 players even in classic maps, it crashs often)

We managed to explore around us to find some ores and oil. We had like 1 little crude oil deposit of 59% at the start so we planed to rush the trains before going too far int he techs because we had not enought oil anyway.
After 4 hours we accomplished a train system to get iron ores from a far place, and some coal too, next plan was to grab some oil :).

So this mod seems to work fine with 11.1 as far as we could see, but the main problem is the size of the maps, making every map download very long.
It's a bit sad because it's what i love in this mod, playing big maps with big spaces, making it much more realistic.
Also, because we still have some desync and crashs, we have to reload it quite often, making it a bit anoying.

I think people shouldn't plan to play it 4+ people or they may use lot of time trying to reconnect and download hudge map :p, but its only the start of the MP, and we managed to make it work, so i won't complain anyway!

PS: Is there a way to add some bitters in this mod? with a command or something? I think it perfect about ressources, but a bit too much easy about bitters. I had to clean 1 nest to get a hudge iron deposit, that's not enought challenge in my opinion.
And changing the vanilla settings doesn't seem to affect this mod

Align
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Align »

Yeah you gotta go into the mod folder and adjust the config.lua file, basically everything under ["biter-spawner"].

Dantounet
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Dantounet »

Thx for the tip, now i can configure all the parametters of RSO mod.

But is it going to work if someone else, with other config of his mod, come in my game? or we need to have exactly the same?

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

Since the configuration options determine where things get placed in the game world, and this is done continuously throughout the game (as you explore away from your starting area, new chunks of the map get generated on the fly), I would expect all these configuration options will need to be exactly the same. In fact, because different configuration options will likely lead to difference even in the starting area, I wouldn't even be surprised if the game would just crash very early.

The somewhat good news though is that it probably doesn't matter if you change any settings between saves. So if you start a solo game with some settings, then change your settings to match the other's for an MP game, you can go back to your solo game without changing these settings back (the changed settings only affect areas that haven't been explored yet)

Align
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Align »

I've been thinking that what the mod needs is to make biters expand and spawn new nests more aggressively. It's good that they can be wiped out and get some peace and quiet for a while, but it being so permanent makes defensive structures unnecessary.

Dantounet
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Dantounet »

Yeah we should have a setting to activate the Vanilla's system of biters spawning, it's too quiet right there after we cleaned them around the base.
After some hours i realized than all the lasers/walls and repair robot system i did put every where was 100% useless because i cleaned far enought to never get under attack, and the RSO seems to never spawn new bitters nest in revealed area.

Btw i tryed to play MP with custom settings, and i can tell you than we needed to have exactly the sames settings or the game crash when someone discover a new part of the map

Tardan
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tardan »

Align wrote:I've been thinking that what the mod needs is to make biters expand and spawn new nests more aggressively. It's good that they can be wiped out and get some peace and quiet for a while, but it being so permanent makes defensive structures unnecessary.
after playing a little bit with the mod, i think the spawning for biter spawners is disabled.
have a look a the mod file: /prototypes/base.lua

at the end are this lines:

-- disiable spawners regardless
add_peak(data.raw["unit-spawner"]["biter-spawner"],{influence=-1000})
add_peak(data.raw["turret"]["small-worm-turret"],{influence=-1000})
add_peak(data.raw["turret"]["medium-worm-turret"],{influence=-1000})
add_peak(data.raw["turret"]["big-worm-turret"],{influence=-1000})
when you remove this lines, i had a new spawn.

can some one verify this?

EDIT: i test this setup also with a new game. i think the mod programmer disable with this lines some parts from the placing and growing of spawners in the vanilla version. so you have to many aliens in a early game or much more hardcore, because the first extension can be difficult

Align
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Align »

Hm. I've definitely seen new nests appear inside my radar range where none were before, so it can't be completely disabled. Isn't that part about the vanilla initial spawning logic, which is replaced just like the vanilla spawning logic for resources?

Dantounet
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Dantounet »

I found a way to use the vanilla spawning system about bitters and RSO about ressource.

You only have to set "false" instead of "true" in this line:
override_normal_spawn = true -- if false then the standard spawner can also spawn full grown resources/entities,
-- set resources you want to control through this config to "None" in worldgen "Size" settings when starting a new game
-- changing of this setting requires game restart, i.e. close game and start it again, not actally a new game
And then, you put "NONE" for the size of every ressources in the vanilla settings of the map (when you create it), so only RSO will spawn ressources.
But about the bitters, you will have the Vanilla ones AND the RSO ones if you do it this way.
So i tryed with "very low frequency" about them, to suit better with RSO. The main problem is than the vanilla bitters nests are very large and everywhere when you get very far from starting location, even if you put them in very low frequency/low size.

But maybe i should have a try with "NONE" in bitters size, and then use only the RSO settings for them, but because the vanilla spawning system is activated, they should spawn with pollution and time as usual and then make the game a bit more stressfull (Or maybe if you put NONE about bitters size in a vanilla game, they doesn't spawn at all?).
->You can also desactivate the RSO bitters if you put some 0 numbers in the RSO configuration and then use only the vanilla ones.

Return to “Resource Spawner Overhaul”