Effective exploration with RSO mod

Replaces resource spawning system, so that the distances between resources are much bigger. Railway is needed then.

Moderators: orzelek, Dark

MalcolmCooks
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Effective exploration with RSO mod

Post by MalcolmCooks »

So..... with RSO mod exploring large areas is pretty crucial. For me it is the main factor which slows down my games (not that I'm complaining, mind you - I wouldn't have set it up this way if I didn't like it :lol: ). Anyway I usually set up radar bases every 29 chunks, 4 radars on each which is pretty slow to uncover the entire area but more than that and their power consumption would quickly get out of hand, since I leave them there permanently. I'm just wondering how other folks like to explore, and what you think is the best method.

mrudi
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Effective exploration with RSO mod

Post by mrudi »

I just started a game with RSO as I like the concept but since I just started will see. I actually walked a great distance from my starting point and uncovered the map in all directions. My main objective was to find another patch of coal. I noted coal is very sparse but the other materials I found in big chunks. Not sure if that is how it's suppose to be or just the map I ended up with. Once I build the car or tank I plan to go out further for more coal. I will have to check the coal I did find and see if it's very rich. If it is then I guess size doesnt matter but having many miners on a patch ensures a greater outflow.

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

I used to go running around trying to find patches, nowadays I tend to play with Big Brother to increase radar scanning speed and range, that tends to get me zeroed in on new patches of resources fast enough. Apart from that, I also use Robot Army, send a few early squads out to clear biters and also find stuff for me.
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

mrudi
Inserter
Inserter

Post by mrudi »

Yep, coal patches are tiny (in my map) but very rich. Will have to upgrade miners to extract quickly given I wont be able to put many on the patch.

MalcolmCooks
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MalcolmCooks »

regarding the absence of coal in your world: You can change the relative frequency of different resources in the vanilla_resources config file.

also, I was looking at mods that can help with exploration on RSO and made my own version of RSO radar/radarplus: https://mods.factorio.com/mods/MalcolmC ... ancedRadar

Return to “Resource Spawner Overhaul”