[0.12.x] RSO Discussion thread

Replaces resource spawning system, so that the distances between resources are much bigger. Railway is needed then.

Moderators: orzelek, Dark

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.12.x] RSO Discussion thread

Post by orzelek »

SoulForge wrote:
Arch666Angel wrote:
SoulForge wrote:
orzelek wrote:
SoulForge wrote:Is there an issue with newer versions? I have 1.5.1 installed and it seems to work great. But newer versions cause frequent game pauses.
I'm not aware of any changes that could cause this.
I'd need a bit more info to take a look at this. You can take a look at F5 debug screen and see which mod is using up lots of time. If it's RSO then save+mods would be good to check out whats going on.
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share ... _link_copy

There are several pictures in there showing the spikes in RSO.

The higher one was me trying to change the config slightly to give richer fields. The smaller is default RSO 1.5.5. I use the max map settings as seen in the gensettings picture. And of course the mods zip is in there. If something is interfering with RSO I couldn't figure out what it was since no other mod has to do with map generation.
Have you been generating new map chunks there? It seems like you used the console command there.
No console command was used. Not even sure how to do that. Still somewhat 'newish' to the game. Had it for maybe two weeks?
Grab the 1.5.6 and try with it. I did what I could and I still get small stutters but it should be much better.

SoulForge
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by SoulForge »

orzelek wrote:Grab the 1.5.6 and try with it. I did what I could and I still get small stutters but it should be much better.
Thanks. I'll give it a whirl.

EDIT; Props to you Orzelek. This is such a huge improvement that I can't even being to describe it. Even with a few small tweaks to richness and amount in the config and increasing base spawns to 3 has not caused any noticeable difference. This is great :)

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

steinio wrote:Hello,

is there a known issue with Uranium Power?

I explored a bigger part of the map around my base and i found 2 Flourite patches, tons of vanilla ores but not one Uranite patch.

Am i not patient enough or is there just nothing around?

Greetings steinio
Hello me again.
I explored the map a bit further and still no uraninite. Again lots of flourite.
Should i make something with the flourite to get uranite?

Map: https://houseofsteinert.no-ip.org/factoriomap/

If i look at the config:

Code: Select all

config["uraninite"] = {
		type="resource-ore",

allotment=30,
		spawns_per_region={min=1, max=1},
		richness=8000,
		size={min=14, max=20},
		min_amount = 150,

multi_resource_chance=0.30,
		multi_resource={
			["copper-ore"] = 2,
			["iron-ore"] = 2,
			["coal"] = 4,
			["stone"] = 4,
			["fluorite"] = 8,
		}
	}
does spawns per region mean there should be one patch around?
How big is a region?

Greetings steinio

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

By default region is 7 chunks - thats 7x32 tiles.
Area that you discovered is not that large yet - I had cases where I needed to go about 2-3k tiles for ore I needed.

You can try to change the allotment line in the config file as last resort - 30 there is quite low relative chance for spawn - copper/iron have 100 by default.
If you increase allotment to 50-60 then chance to get it to spawn per region will be bigger.

I had game try to pair uraninite with fluorite before but I removed it - looking at original ore definitions from Uranium Power mod they are specifically defined to be away from each other. Might need to go back to that method to increase chance of getting both of those at same time.

deareim
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by deareim »

I am uising RSO 1.5.6 and latest download from Dytech and when i am creating a new game, it says that a lot of resources are not available. I suppose it is link to RSO no ?

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

deareim wrote:I am uising RSO 1.5.6 and latest download from Dytech and when i am creating a new game, it says that a lot of resources are not available. I suppose it is link to RSO no ?
It's possible - not sure whats in latest DyTech since it was in quite an experimental stage.
If thats the version that redoes ores then it work with RSO for now. For coplete overhaul of ores I would need to have more stable version working to make configs or DyTech authors would need to provide them.

Bonny1992
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Bonny1992 »

Hello everyone, I have a problem.
I tried to use this mod to regenerate my resources (I use only RSO combined with Endless Resources) and, since I'm not used to mods, I only launched the command (with an old save, not new)

/c remote.call("RSO", "regenerate")
which made all my resources disappear, except for coal and some (but not all) copper...
Can I fix this? Is my save useless?

Thank you everyone!

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Bonny1992 wrote:Hello everyone, I have a problem.
I tried to use this mod to regenerate my resources (I use only RSO combined with Endless Resources) and, since I'm not used to mods, I only launched the command (with an old save, not new)

/c remote.call("RSO", "regenerate")
which made all my resources disappear, except for coal and some (but not all) copper...
Can I fix this? Is my save useless?

Thank you everyone!
Hmm thats strange. Didn't new resources appear somewhere around the map?
Due to how game works you won't see them imeediately on map in areas without visibility - need to scan with radar or go there.
If you changed mod versions (or terrain near starting area) result of regenerate will be different than earlier setup.

Bonny1992
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Bonny1992 »

orzelek wrote:Hmm thats strange. Didn't new resources appear somewhere around the map?
Due to how game works you won't see them imeediately on map in areas without visibility - need to scan with radar or go there.
If you changed mod versions (or terrain near starting area) result of regenerate will be different than earlier setup.
When I first launched the command I wandered around a little bit, and found only coal where originally was, and some copper, but no iron.
Today I tried to find some iron and I found it, but it seems to be way more rarefied than the other resources... Luckily I had a backup of my save!

Isn't there any way to make existing resources truly endless?

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Bonny1992 wrote:
orzelek wrote:Hmm thats strange. Didn't new resources appear somewhere around the map?
When I first launched the command I wandered around a little bit, and found only coal where originally was, and some copper, but no iron.
Today I tried to find some iron and I found it, but it seems to be way more rarefied than the other resources... Luckily I had a backup of my save!

Isn't there any way to make existing resources truly endless?
Iron has same chance of generation as copper - rest is up to randomness.

You said you have endless resources mod - isn't it making resources infinite(behave like oil wells?). Thats the easiest way you can make resources infinite now.

Bonny1992
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Bonny1992 »

orzelek wrote:Iron has same chance of generation as copper - rest is up to randomness.

You said you have endless resources mod - isn't it making resources infinite(behave like oil wells?). Thats the easiest way you can make resources infinite now.
Yes, it does make resources behave oil wells, but it isn't enough, really...
Is there any way to raise the limit of 0.25? Also, do I need to make a new save?
Sorry if I bother you but I don't know anything about lua and modding...

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Bonny1992 wrote:
orzelek wrote:Iron has same chance of generation as copper - rest is up to randomness.

Yes, it does make resources behave oil wells, but it isn't enough, really...
Is there any way to raise the limit of 0.25? Also, do I need to make a new save?
Sorry if I bother you but I don't know anything about lua and modding...
You mean you would like %-age to not drop below 100%?
You would need to change this in endless resources mod - normal and minimal value for resource needs to be same - can try with 100 so that most spawned resources should be above it. They can spawn with high %-ages then so will be quick to mine till they drop to 100%.

Bonny1992
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Bonny1992 »

orzelek wrote:You mean you would like %-age to not drop below 100%?
You would need to change this in endless resources mod - normal and minimal value for resource needs to be same - can try with 100 so that most spawned resources should be above it. They can spawn with high %-ages then so will be quick to mine till they drop to 100%.
Yes, it works... Thank you!

RegalKain
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by RegalKain »

Orz asked me to post here so. Here we go.

List of mods-
Angelsinfiniteores_0.1.8
angelsprocessing_0.1.6
angelsrefining_0.1.4
bobassembly_0.12.7
bobconfig_0.12.2
bobelectronics_0.12.6
bobenemies_0.12.6
boblibrary_0.12.3
boblogistics_0.12.7
bobmining_0.12.3
bobmodules_0.12.9
bobores_0.12.7
bobplates_0.12.10
bobpower_0.12.6
bobtech_0.12.4
bobwarfare_0.12.9
clock_0.12.2
Crafting_Speed_Research_0.1.1
FARL_0.5.25
Landfill_2.1.7
RailTanker_1.2.22
rso-mod_1.5.6
RSORadar_0.0.1
tree_collision_0.2.0
Treefarm-AC_0.2.3
Treefarm-Lite_0.4.0
YARM_0.7.15

those are the mods, everything seems to run without errors, etc. The big issue as I said in the other thread is spawning just seems to hate me. I tried multiple times with the default config and it'd often not throw the spawns I needed, so I kept tweaking stuff I think I have it set to 2 chunks now (down from 7) just so that I can somewhat manage things (Otherwise I'd have games without certain ores anywhere even remotely close to me) sadly that seems to also include enemies, which as you saw in the picture spawn basically in my starting zone.

Edit: changing it up to 3 and command exploring the map seems to set is reasonably so, but biter nests are still spawning super close. (I had to restart a few times) but I wound up with this.

http://imgur.com/sELa7Rp has all the starting things very close to the starting area, that biter next is fairly close but that's ok at least it's a small one this time.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Thanks for the post - you actually listed one detail thats quite important - you reduced region sizes.
And starting area size is measured in regions so thats why you get biters so close most likely.

With so small region size I'd recommend increasing starting area size to 2-3 to compensate a bit. Should give you some breathing room.
On the other hand smaller region sizes are not really tested/supported - RSO is meant to make you travel further away and use trains :)

RegalKain
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by RegalKain »

orzelek wrote:Thanks for the post - you actually listed one detail thats quite important - you reduced region sizes.
And starting area size is measured in regions so thats why you get biters so close most likely.

With so small region size I'd recommend increasing starting area size to 2-3 to compensate a bit. Should give you some breathing room.
On the other hand smaller region sizes are not really tested/supported - RSO is meant to make you travel further away and use trains :)
Ahhh, see.. I was mis-understanding that then. I didn't realize that was region size, I just thought that was how often it checked to spawn a resource node. My friends and I are just stepping off of Vanilla, with me having the most experience and I have never used a train before...ever. (My last main factory just had a ton of robo ports and 700-800 logistics robots) So I didn't want to step from vanilla clusters to, here's a pocket of iron, the next one is in another country get a train buddy. :)

I will do some more tweaking, thanks a bunch for all the help, and my apologies for the confusion.

Thegrover
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Thegrover »

I just had a dig at rso last night and found starting nice, on default settings, each patch was just right for getting to trains comfortably, though I did try a few seeds to get more than two oil patches (since 0.13 oil seems scarce right now).

The only issue I have to overcome is scouting for a new iron and stone deposit to hook a train network to, since all the patches are beyond radar range (trains are looking promising). I built a car and took it for a spin, but forgot I had aggroed about 200 buyers, so when I inevitably got surrounded and the car ripped apart, I had some serious fighting to get back home.

How do you guys scout for new patches? I could set up oil to get to a tank, but then I'd be on the last scraps of iron. Turret creeping would take forever and I don't know if a train would get aggroed if I went rail-laying

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

There are few radar improving mods that I would recommend - you really need better radar range to find resources (especially if you up biter settings).
And new way of biter migration seems to make them more capable of preventing exploration :D

I don't recall all the mod names - I use Big Brother recently. bob's set also has upgraded radars in warefare I think.
There are also STRS radas and radar two I think.

Vitriks
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Vitriks »

Hi. Can someone create a mirror for latest version of RSO 2.0.9? Thanks in advance.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Vitriks wrote:Hi. Can someone create a mirror for latest version of RSO 2.0.9? Thanks in advance.
Why would you want that?
Mod portal is official mod source now and I'd rather not have floating zips posted around the place.

Return to “Resource Spawner Overhaul”