[0.12.x] RSO Discussion thread

Replaces resource spawning system, so that the distances between resources are much bigger. Railway is needed then.

Moderators: orzelek, Dark

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.12.x] RSO Discussion thread

Post by orzelek »

If you add a new resource it's not possible to regen resources in the same way.
Adding a resource changes the ranodmness - recreation of previous layout is not possible.

You will need to discover new regions to get new resource to spawn on it's own.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

New version is up.

Fixed two longstanding bugs - enemy base one might have some consequences so feedback would be welcome.
Enemy base sapwning fix means that bases far out will now have size as intended. Since they never managed to spawn fully earlier it might mean they will be a bit op after going 3k-4k tiles from center.

I also looked a bit at the 1.0.3 version and it has quite important config change - resource spawning is halved. I compared it with current one and it should not be much different if you change the resource spawn to be the same. Newer version will give more resources per ore field after passing certain distance from center compared to old one. Hard to tell how far exactly - rng can mess around also but generally should see a difference after 4k-5k tiles from center.

MainTango
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MainTango »

Sweet!

Do I need to run some console command when I update RSO and load an existing save?

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

MainTango wrote:Sweet!

Do I need to run some console command when I update RSO and load an existing save?
Fixes will be applied automatically to all the stuff that will be generated after version update.

If you try to regenerate stuff everything will land in new places. I bumped the second number because enemy base spawning fix breaks resource regeneration on existing saves. You can run resource regen command but you might need to rebuild a lot of things and/or get enemy bases to spawn in your base.

Align
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Align »

Wonderful!

I also discovered something cool; since you can set RSO to override spawning mechanics entirely, setting Starting Area to none will let you spawn in a world with none of those annoying puddles taking up space, while still spawning enemies at a reasonable distance from you and guaranteeing all ores near spawn, which was exactly what I was looking for. Had to restart a bunch of times to be near a beach, but that's to be expected.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Align wrote:Wonderful!

I also discovered something cool; since you can set RSO to override spawning mechanics entirely, setting Starting Area to none will let you spawn in a world with none of those annoying puddles taking up space, while still spawning enemies at a reasonable distance from you and guaranteeing all ores near spawn, which was exactly what I was looking for. Had to restart a bunch of times to be near a beach, but that's to be expected.
Tbh I should remove that config option finally. It's been non-functional from quite some time. There is only full mode - no default map gen at all.

Arduin
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Arduin »

Can someone maybe explain to me how exactly the options "richness_distance_factor" and "size_distance_factor=" scale the ore patches the further I am from the centre of the map? Trying to fine tune my worldgen a bit

Umcookies
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Umcookies »

All I can say is that mistakes were made....

Porter65
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Porter65 »

I don't get it, with RSO added and settings minerals to low availability, I have patches of 14k minerals per squares (total perhaps 250-500k minerals per spot) something like 3 chunks from my base. That's insane... If I wanted to play with unlimited minerals, I would not use RSO.

I have not modded out RSO, I don't get why I have such huge amounts of minerals so close, despite me having reduced size of patches, richness of patches when creating a game.

Align
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Align »

Default settings do feel rather generous for everything except oil now.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

What do you mean by setting availability to low? There is no availability setting.

There are few things you can do to have lower amount of minerals:
1. Go to config and set both global_richness_mult and starting_richness_mult to something small like 0.1.
2. Use very poor richness setting for resources. It cuts richness to 1/8th of default currently.

If those steps don't help then post me the save so I can check if nothing went wrong - might be a bug somewhere.

I'd rather not make the default settings so that you need to barely scrape on materials to do anything.
I've been thinking about adding something similar to bob's config mod to provide difficulty settings - not sure when would that happen.

250k ore might be a lot to some people and not enough for others - there is no good way to balance that so configuration exists to let people adjust it to their taste.

@Umcookies
Thats.. scary - is this an effect of config edits ?

Align
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Align »

Actually that reminds me, I tried setting starting_richness_mult = 0.1 but got an error: http://imgur.com/5GLX6Jn

Umcookies
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Umcookies »

orzelek wrote: @Umcookies
Thats.. scary - is this an effect of config edits ?

Certainly was, I'm trying to nail down the settings to something that feels nice so I'm playing around with them.
-Few enough resources so that we need to explore (so mainly few starting resources) but enough once we do explore that we don't need to find a new patch every few hours. BUT at the same time I don't want to be running into patches that will last until the end of the game. Basically I'm being super picky.

To achieve that picture I had reduced the region size to something fairly low and also increased the spawn rate of monsters slightly. Completely forgot that the smaller region would make it scale way quicker.

While I've got you here, is there a more detailed explanation of what the settings do somewhere? Some of them confuse me a little, some seem to be a little redundant soooo I'm guessing that I probably just don't understand what they do or how they effect each other.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Currently best instructions are in Description and Information thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=79&t=12709

If something is not clear or not there let me know I'll try to update them (might be slightly outdated since I added few settings).

Targa
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Targa »

Align wrote:Default settings do feel rather generous for everything except oil now.
I agree. Does anyone have any config tweaks or settings that give you low amount of resources, forcing you to use trains and expand/explore, like the mod is supposed to do? I've played (started anyway) a couple of games with RSO installed and I have plenty of resources within walking distance of the starting spot (when I say walking distance, I mean pretty far by foot, but really close by train. Grabbing a screenshot...

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.c ... 5E27E09D7/

That was all uncovered on day 1-2 or so from me walking around. I count 5 iron patches, 6 copper, and 5 coal all within spitting distance of my base. The original instructions for the mod said to leave all the map generation settings alone (on medium), which I did except I lowered oil, set terrain frag to low, and water size to small. So how do I get the "Mod aims to encourage trains and other means of long range transportation, which has little practical use in unmodded game due to abundance of resources." to function correctly? Thanks!

Align
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Align »

Recently I've been playing a game with halved starting resources and most importantly larger chunk size (11), causing everything to be more spread out and increase in richness slower.

It's not perfect, had to set nest chance to 1 to get a decent fight, and the starting resources were placed pretty far apart since the starting area was also larger, but it does feel better spread. There is a large field of iron fairly near spawn, but it's remarkably poor - don't think any of the tiles contained 1k ore. Overall though, it might be better to just reduce the resource chance per chunk instead.

Targa
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Targa »

Here's what I came up with:

region_size = 8 (The larger the region, the more sparse resources are. Any larger, however, and biter nests are too far apart for my tastes)
starting_area_size = 1 (Ensures that closest enemies are fairly close)
absolute_resource_chance = 0.05 (Yep, THAT low. And I still found an iron deposit within spitting distance of my starting area)
absolute_enemy_chance = 1.00 (100%, and there's still a decent amount of space between nests. I'd like even more enemies, but that would require a smaller Region size)
multi_resource_active = false (Prevents places where you can find two resources touching each other)
richness_distance_factor=0.20 (Default 0.70 makes ore deposit richness go up too quickly in relation to distance, IMO)

Also, in the game's Map Generator I set Iron, Copper, and Coal to "Poor" for Richness, medium for size. The map I settled on looks to be quite the challenge, my initial coal, iron, and copper are very much on the smaller side of "medium", and quite poor. Definitely going to have to have lots of trains!

I also use the InitialScan mod, and set the scan to 20 regardless of starting area size. This is about the far edge of how far you'd want to explore on foot, and let's me know right away if a map has too many resources close by the starting area. If you decide to use that mod, be aware that a large scan like 20 can take several minutes. Don't freak out if you have a blank minimap at the start. :)

Edit: After playing a while I felt I should come back and warn anyone who might want to play the game with the above settings. I ran out of iron just at the time I finally found some and was setting up the trains. I ran out of coal next, I was in the middle of setting up a coal outpost when I noticed the electric miners weren't working. I went back to my base to find the boilers out of coal, and no power being generated. I literally had to steal all the coal from the smelting belts to feed the boilers, so the miners had power to mine coal. It got a bit hairy there for a bit. I do now have 2 iron outposts, 1 copper, and 1 coal, so my base is back in operation. However, because of the richness_distance setting, the deposits I found (even though they were pretty far away), are still fairly poor, so I'm going to have to keep hunting for more. It makes for a lot of driving around in the car, but it's turning out to be a pretty awesome playthrough.
Last edited by Targa on Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

If you want bigger enemy bases you can get up size of them on map settings - should work quite well.

One thing I noted - you want really starvation grade resources :)

PS.
The scaling on distance for resources is a tricky thing. Some people want more for megabases, others would like almost none like you.

I'm really missing ability to add some settings to map gen - would make a lot of this much easier to handle.

Targa
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Targa »

I have a question about changing the config file. If, for example, I have disableEnemyExpansion = true and start a game, save my game, then change that to false, will the change actually take affect, or are the original settings used when starting the game kept in the save file and not refreshed every time you start and load the game?

Align
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Align »

It'll use the changed settings from then on out, but anything that's already generated will be unchanged.

Return to “Resource Spawner Overhaul”