[0.12.x] RSO Discussion thread

Replaces resource spawning system, so that the distances between resources are much bigger. Railway is needed then.

Moderators: orzelek, Dark

Evilness
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [0.12.x] RSO Discussion thread

Post by Evilness »

I have an issue getting it to work ith bob's modes. Stuff only spawns in starting area. And i get this
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (1.86 MiB) Viewed 6290 times

Evilness
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Evilness »

So i realised the issue isn't the bob's mods by them self but in presence of test mode. Test mode seems to rename the ores or something.

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

Evilness wrote:I have an issue getting it to work ith bob's modes. Stuff only spawns in starting area. And i get this
It's from test-mode mod. You can ignore it

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

TheSAguy wrote:
Evilness wrote:I have an issue getting it to work ith bob's modes. Stuff only spawns in starting area. And i get this
It's from test-mode mod. You can ignore it
Does ore spawn normally then?
I think that there might be a conflict and test mode will not work nicely with RSO.

Evilness
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Evilness »

Evilness wrote:So i realised the issue isn't the bob's mods by them self but in presence of test mode. Test mode seems to rename the ores or something.
Please just read next time. I alrady answered your question. On i side note you will probably have to make a configuration for test mode to fix this/make it compatible.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Evilness wrote:
Evilness wrote:So i realised the issue isn't the bob's mods by them self but in presence of test mode. Test mode seems to rename the ores or something.
Please just read next time. I alrady answered your question. On i side note you will probably have to make a configuration for test mode to fix this/make it compatible.
The thing is I would need to figure out why test mode requires some fake ores to be added. And I never used it.

Anomoly2012
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Anomoly2012 »

Ok so i really like the concept of RSO and have tried IDK how many times to find a map that just feels right.. i follow the forums and see that 1.0.3 is supposed to be the 1 that many Mega base end game players prefer as it gives a better distance orientated forces extensive use of trains kinda feel... the only option i change is spawn area to big.. and yeah i click the bitters never attack first as well... but i personally cant stand it when im trying to work on something and those little shits are having lunch on an outpost i thought i had defended...

so anyway... clean download of 1.0.3 and no changes made anywhere else.. why do i constantly either get 8 oil spots closer than i want to see... or say a scatter of stone in with coal or any of the others mixed together? am i missing something? did i not do something i should have... I want to have a big base... I'm not aiming for anything specific like a rocket every minute.. but an extensive rail network would be fun.. i have designs ive built and modified i really wanna see running... yet all day long im picking or putting down these outposts that barely last a few hours... where are the bigger resouce piles... now ive gone out far... i use a few helper mods.. aircraft is fun.. and ive gone out FAR.... like so far i can barely see my base far... 1 time i only had 25 coal and i had to walk over half way back far....

can someone please help to figure out what the deal is? ive tried 1.4.1 it just takes me to long to deplete all these piles enough that i can start on a main base...

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

As for 1.0.3 - it had slightly different resource generation code which is main reason why some players prefer it. I'm not supporting it in any way.
And as for 1.4.1 - I'm not sure I understand what you want from it.
I think that you might be more interested in 1.4.3 - I did up scaling of ore on distant resource fields significantly.

There are so many play styles that one version of mod can't support them all.

Anomoly2012
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Anomoly2012 »

orzelek wrote:As for 1.0.3 - it had slightly different resource generation code which is main reason why some players prefer it. I'm not supporting it in any way.
And as for 1.4.1 - I'm not sure I understand what you want from it.
I think that you might be more interested in 1.4.3 - I did up scaling of ore on distant resource fields significantly.

There are so many play styles that one version of mod can't support them all.
i did infact end up going with the 1.4.3 as it was compatable with the version i was running.. i have yet to actually do much exploring as i had to go back to a previous save of some 10hrs as i had already set things up for my switch to a 2-6-2 system.. just couldnt handle all the trains i would need to clear out the extra resources and get them into stations designed for 1-4-1 withought some work.. no big deal as i had already saved the builds to foreman it took me about 2hrs to get it all stamped back down and up and running... so now i can focus on the task for mining and storing or w/e i decide to do with all the excess to clear things a bit for my main base build... which i have been dying to start on... before i loose my train of thought and desire to do so...

thanks.. ill update once i get a chance to explore a bit and see how 1.4.3 looks...

A+

TiTaN_3000
Inserter
Inserter

Post by TiTaN_3000 »

can you please add a config option to disable multi_resource_chance for all resources? (vanilla and modded)

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

New version posted - added test mode compatibility and some new configuration options.

callmewoof
Inserter
Inserter

Post by callmewoof »

Hi orzelek, glad to see you're still maintaining this! Thanks! I haven't played since pre-.12 so I'm trying to catch-up on things. I'm running 0.12.16 (the latest) and started a new map. I'm using all of the Bob's Mods and the latest RSO (the one you posted 10/30). In the config files, the only thing I changed was "Override_normal_spawn = False" and I only changed that because I wanted to change "disable_RSO_biter_spawning = True" because it says "if true, no biters will be spawned by RSO. Don't use with override_normal_spawn = true). Here's the disaster of my new map:
My Starting Area
I think it game me a billion deposits because I set the override to False (I left the map generation settings all on standard/normal settings), so I think it was doubling-up on RSO+standard. However, since I'm using Bob's mods, and specifically the Bob's warfare/enemies, I don't want RSO to spawn more enemies on top of Bob's stuff, which is why I set disable_RSO_biter_spawning=true. So yeah I'm at an impasse - If I go with default options, (I believe) RSO will give me extra enemies on top of bob's enemies, but properly distribute the resources. But if I set it to override=true, then I can't disable the RSO extra biters (because they can't both be true), and then I'm stuck with too many resources (defeating the purpose of RSO mod). So, is there a third option I'm just not seeing? Or do I have to choose between too many resources or too many enemies? Thanks!

MainTango
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MainTango »

Hi,

I'm still on 0.12.11 and would like to try RSO. Is there anywhere I can get my hands on RSO v1.4.4? 1.4.5 or above gets redflagged since it requires Factorio 0.12.12. According to the changelog, v1.4.4 is the version that seems to be working with 0.12.11 but there's no link in the release thread.

Thanks in advance.

Keks
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Keks »

does bob's mod spawn it's own biters?

because if it does isn't it exactly what you want to disable RSO biter spawns? Have you tried it out?

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

MainTango wrote:Hi,

I'm still on 0.12.11 and would like to try RSO. Is there anywhere I can get my hands on RSO v1.4.4? 1.4.5 or above gets redflagged since it requires Factorio 0.12.12. According to the changelog, v1.4.4 is the version that seems to be working with 0.12.11 but there's no link in the release thread.

Thanks in advance.
I've readded 1.4.4 to releases.. will need to clean those up at some point since it's getting cluttered.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

callmewoof wrote:Hi orzelek, glad to see you're still maintaining this! Thanks! I haven't played since pre-.12 so I'm trying to catch-up on things. I'm running 0.12.16 (the latest) and started a new map. I'm using all of the Bob's Mods and the latest RSO (the one you posted 10/30). In the config files, the only thing I changed was "Override_normal_spawn = False" and I only changed that because I wanted to change "disable_RSO_biter_spawning = True" because it says "if true, no biters will be spawned by RSO. Don't use with override_normal_spawn = true). Here's the disaster of my new map:
My Starting Area
I think it game me a billion deposits because I set the override to False (I left the map generation settings all on standard/normal settings), so I think it was doubling-up on RSO+standard. However, since I'm using Bob's mods, and specifically the Bob's warfare/enemies, I don't want RSO to spawn more enemies on top of Bob's stuff, which is why I set disable_RSO_biter_spawning=true. So yeah I'm at an impasse - If I go with default options, (I believe) RSO will give me extra enemies on top of bob's enemies, but properly distribute the resources. But if I set it to override=true, then I can't disable the RSO extra biters (because they can't both be true), and then I'm stuck with too many resources (defeating the purpose of RSO mod). So, is there a third option I'm just not seeing? Or do I have to choose between too many resources or too many enemies? Thanks!
Yeah I knew I need to remove the override option at some point :D It's non functional - with it set to false RSO doesn't work.
Bob's enemies mod enemies are integrated into RSO automatically if they are present.

MainTango
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MainTango »

orzelek wrote: I've readded 1.4.4 to releases.. will need to clean those up at some point since it's getting cluttered.
Good stuff. Thanks a bunch :D

callmewoof
Inserter
Inserter

Post by callmewoof »

orzelek wrote:Yeah I knew I need to remove the override option at some point :D It's non functional - with it set to false RSO doesn't work.
Bob's enemies mod enemies are integrated into RSO automatically if they are present.
Oh! Haha, thanks. I guess I was trying to fix what wasn't broken! Switched it back, things seem great now. Thank you again!

Anomoly2012
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Anomoly2012 »

It would seem the replacement of my outdated RSO 1.0.3 to factrotio version .12.10 seems to have fixed my resource generation issue.. While i have not explored much several hundred blocks in only 1 direction i am satisfied with the size and quality of the ore i am seeing...

If i do indeed start a new world when .13 is released as is my norm, i tend to restart when anything seriously updated is dropped... i would be greatful if i could have this mod do what i desire.. that is to start with a normal generation around the spawn and then as expansion is done have deposits increase in size and quality while at the same time not be so abundant in frequency that i am surrounded by patches that basically do not require me to explore and expand..

Now this may be exactly how this mod is functioning currently.. But i have chosen to remain with version .12.10 till .13 is released or a major update is dropped before then.. the constant need to update with my current health and mental alterations due to heavy meds have me spacey and doped out of my sanity most times...

Thanks..

A+

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

I've played a lot of games using RSO and it's great!!
Only feedback I have is that the Crude Oil is really low with the default RSO settings. You get enough in starting area, but outside that it's really low.

Vanilla game has way too much, but RSO is low... Since RSO is meant for people who like to use trains and go far to find resources. It would be nice to have large patches, but be sparse. That way it's worth to build a rail to these patches and mine them.

Thanks.

Return to “Resource Spawner Overhaul”