Resource Spawner Overhaul - Old discussion thread

Replaces resource spawning system, so that the distances between resources are much bigger. Railway is needed then.

Moderators: orzelek, Dark

WoodyDaOcas
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.11.*] Resource Spawner Overhaul

Post by WoodyDaOcas »

Thank you very much for updating this :) After some 65 hours in DyTech I found out I don't really have any iron around, while bases are evolved as hell, so.. :D I rly didn't want to start again right now, now trying out the regen function :) Thanks!

Syriusz
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Syriusz »

Hi, RSO is great mod :).
But i have some problems with NAR mod, it seems that RSO sees that NEAR adds one resource same as Bobore (rutile) and uses all its configs, but NAR does not have silver, so when it wants to spawn silver it crashes game... I added
in bobore config
before config of silver, it works, but sometimes it gives messages with something about silver ore (occurs when exploring, so probably some function want to spawn silver ore, but this time it just ignores it instead of crashing). It does not bother me much, but thought that you might want to know :).

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Syriusz wrote:Hi, RSO is great mod :).
But i have some problems with NAR mod, it seems that RSO sees that NEAR adds one resource same as Bobore (rutile) and uses all its configs, but NAR does not have silver, so when it wants to spawn silver it crashes game... I added
in bobore config
before config of silver, it works, but sometimes it gives messages with something about silver ore (occurs when exploring, so probably some function want to spawn silver ore, but this time it just ignores it instead of crashing). It does not bother me much, but thought that you might want to know :).
The bob ores detection catches NAR mod because it's similarities and same ores used.
I need to add proper support for NAR mod and probably fix bob's ores detection to make sure it does not trigger with other mods since it might be causing problems - it assumes all the ores from bob's are there.
Also... silver? in bob's ores ? I might have missed something or I'm not up to date :D

Syriusz
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Resource Spawner Overhaul - Discussion thread

Post by Syriusz »

Well, its in RSO, I have no idea if it's in Bob's ore but it's in bobores.lua (starts at line 27), at least in version 1.0.17.

Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Takezu »

Yeah Silver is in Bob Ores. Mostly used for Solarpanels MK2 and 3.
At least as far as i know but ther might be other uses.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Yep it's there - I simply forgot haven't played for some time ;)
It's easy to miss it since it has limited use not like gold for example.
And when playing in the modpack you can use other solar panels :D

Berserker55
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Berserker55 »

The replicators mod ( https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 14&t=12576 ) added a resource called Creatine, which does not spawn with RSO installed.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

I have a dev copy that supports it. Only drawback is that I played heavily with resource generation to get more control over size of deposits and ore amounts so it's a bit experimental.
I can publish it later - didn't have time to play with it properly so might be unbalanced.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

New version is up - slightly experimental in nature esp with balance - feedback is welcome.
It also adds support for latest replicators mod.

Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Takezu »

Thing is the RNG can throw you a wrench in the balancing, like this time, added roadworks and startet a new Bob's Map, was going to anyways. All looked great after my usual 512/512 chart so i startet to build ab the standart setup for Red/green and so on ... then i examined the Ores i thought that where tin. Big suprise RNG trolled again, i've a tiny tin deposit turned out that the rich fields where limestone.

This will going to be an interisting playthrough, if i don't find another tindeposit relativly fast. :roll:

By the way i noticed somthing odd, as said i usually run a chart to to see if the map is worth playing or if i'm stuck to beginn with. Seems like the ore deposits especially at the map rim don't get fully generated and/or displayed on the map. Meaning when i travel to it it turns out to be, most times, greater then first displayed.

It's no big deal by itself, just found it interesting.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

I noticed the map display problem too - after charting you need to visit it or scan with radar to get it displayed properly.
It might be caused by the fact that ore is not created by mapgen itself but by mod callback.

And for RNG... yeah can't find a good way to protect from it. Few ways of reducing a bit effects of rng being nasty could end up more complex then it's worth it I think.
Maybe replicators mod which allows to produce most of stuff at hefty price if you can't find it around the place.

Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Takezu »

Well it is wat it is, a giant troll, but on the other hand, it makes for interisting gamesessions.
As far as i can tell, besides the trolling of the RNG it seems quite right to me.
And the standart generator had got me way harder then rso, most times it's complete lockdown with it.
Imho if it's to complex it'S really not worth it, most of the times you can live with bad rng. I create far less maps to start a decent game
as i did with the vanilla generator.

On the bright site, i've enough limestone to concrete the whole map ... two times :D

PiggyWhiskey
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by PiggyWhiskey »

Probably a bit of a silly question, where are the links for the updated versions?

Edit: Nevermind, I keep forgetting that this is just a thread in the subforum for RSO. Found the version.

Berserker55
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Berserker55 »

So, I have a modded game running, with RSO 1.0.19, with quite a few mods. I have replicators mod, but turned off the creatine for now. I'd like to update the RSO mod to 1.1, reenable creatine and re-gen creatine into the world. How would I go about that?

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Berserker55 wrote:So, I have a modded game running, with RSO 1.0.19, with quite a few mods. I have replicators mod, but turned off the creatine for now. I'd like to update the RSO mod to 1.1, reenable creatine and re-gen creatine into the world. How would I go about that?
At current moment you can't do the re-enable creatine part. It's because RSO stores internally list of resources encountered in the game and that list is preserved through save/load. New resource added will not be discovered by RSO and not spawned even with regenerate.

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

Orzelek,

Like your changes to 1.1.0! Thanks for all your work on this.
One suggestion to the next update would be to give a player a little Zinc in the beginning if you're playing with Dytech. Maybe the same as Tin: starting={richness=3000, size=10, probability=1},

Question, what does Richness mean in Vanilla_enemies.lua?
Currently it's set to 1. How does that compare to vanilla. is it equal to Normal? and what would high and very high be 2, 3??

Thanks.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Hmm about zinc.. I think I had that idea (but forgot) since some of it was needed for refinery I think. I'll add it on next update.
Starting area was a bit upgraded in 1.1 so it really guarantees that ore will be there in certain amounts if they are marked as starting area and roll passes.

If you want more/bigger enemy bases I'd recommend using the config settings for that. I don't remember if richness from definition is even used for enemy spawns. I also can't really compare to vanilla generator - would be hard to quantify.

Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Takezu »

The configs have always been a book with seven seals.
I know there are many comments but i don't really see which option, has wich consequenses.

Well i haven't looked latly in it because of that.

Yes Zinc is used in dyte ch for the refinery.
But irc it's not that hard to find. and really important is it's use in the Upgraded Processing unit.
When you ad zinc to the starting Area then should it be not much imho.

But to be honest i've never really worked out how richness, and size work.
To me atm ther only to numbers and i've no clue how the number works out in game.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

The richness was used in a way to determine how many ore will be in resource till 1.1 but in not a very clear way.
Size is used to determine size (in a quite complex randomized way).

From 1.1 there is an equation that ties richness and size to actual total amount of ore in deposit. It's a bit random to give some variety.
Based on size and richness I could give you most likely range of total ore amount per deposit. It's one of biggest changes I made thats why I'm looking for feedback about balance. There are of course few things that can still throw it out (like for example landing in water with random location) but it's more predictable now.

Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Takezu »

What kind of feedback are you looking for precisly?

Could go one and start a few test maps with Dytech Bobs and Vanilla if it helps?

i'm atm on the previous version, startet my Bob's on it and haven'T updated.
When i would updated the current map to 1.1 and call a regenerate, do you have any clue what would happen?
I mean would only the ores refilled that i've currently found or would i more likly get a total new distribution?
Or isn'T it nesessary do call a regen and have the old deposits where they are and get behind that the new distirbution?

Return to “Resource Spawner Overhaul”