Current CTRL+Z (undo) could be more useful is expanded slightly

Ideas that are too old (too many things have changed since) and ones which won't be implemented for certain reasons or if there are obviously better suggestions.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

MisterFister
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Current CTRL+Z (undo) could be more useful is expanded slightly

Post by MisterFister »

TL;DR
CTRL+Z to undo (a recently-added feature) is great, but I hope that other functions can add to this shortcut's utility and usefulnes.

What ?
We already have the undo feature of CTRL-Z. However, sometimes, I might need to CTRL-Z backwards by several steps. Allowing a "redo" function, possibly mapped to CTRL-Y, would make CTRL-Z-overshooting less of an annoyance. In particular, it would be great if the player could access the queue / stack / history of still-undoable actions. This would make it possible for a player to undo the fifth step back, but still be able to either select the next four changes to be kept, or at least be documented so that after reverting to the fifth-back step, we can still re-implement the subsequent steps that the player doesn't want to undo.

Additionally, I've learned that on-map manipulations of already-placed structures are not tracked / trackable by the CTRL-Z keybind. This includes things like rotating structures and assemblers, assembler recipe settings, combinator settings, or the filter-settings on a belt splitter or a filter inserter. It would be awesome if the undo (and maybe redo?) function could help us revert or re-assert those on-map changes.

Finally, when instinctively attempting CTRL-Z to undo a mistake I might have already made to an assembler's recipe or a splitter's filter settings, I see that no change takes place to the item I'd made my mistake on, and my mistake still remains. Alongside that, I then realize that I CTRL-Z undid something elsewhere in my game map, and I have no way to know what previous change (that I'd apparently left alone, which implies that I was happy with it) has now been undone by my mistaken attempt to "undo" whatever my current in-game puzzle might be. Thus, it would be great if there were some method of identifying that mistakenly-undone item so that I can decide whether or not I should fix it. This would obviously be less important if there were already a CTRL-Y-redo function, but I still think that it would be useful for the player to have access to the knowledge of what was mistakenly changed elsewhere, without that knowing needing to come from realizing that a belt is contaminated or an inserter is missing somewhere.
Why ?
This is, after all, a game about automation. It would seem to me to be very much in keeping with the mindset of Factorio gameplay to be able to automate reversal or re-ratification of player-created steps and mistakes.

Thank you for your time, and thanks for an awesome game!

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Current CTRL+Z (undo) could be more useful is expanded slightly

Post by Koub »

Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

A great idea, but this is going to run into even more issues with the unholy QWERTY / QWERTZ / AZERTY trinity than the addition of "Undo" already did...
P.S. : Why is "Map" still bound to "," on AZERTY ?
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

BlueTemplar wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:58 pm
A great idea, but this is going to run into even more issues with the unholy QWERTY / QWERTZ / AZERTY trinity than the addition of "Undo" already did...
P.S. : Why is "Map" still bound to "," on AZERTY ?
Because keybindings are bound to the physical key location and not what your key might produce. That key is "M" on the standard layout the game expects.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

On the actual sugestion: it's not going to happen. Undo *barely* "works" as is and is massively complicated with loads of edge cases we've had to fix/hack to make work somewhat ok.

We aren't looking to bloat it even more.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

MisterFister
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MisterFister »

Well, shucks. Thanks for replying though.

Though I would care to point out that with the links suggested when my post was moved (sorry for not putting it in the right place) even without a "redo" similar to CTRL+Y, it would be awesome if the player could see something either in mainview or in mapview what an erroneous CTRL+Z actually "undid." Because as mentioned by commenters in those other threads, the only method currently available to identify them would be manually searching the entire base, by eye; the player remembering for oneself what was performed recently and using that to narrow down the search; hope to goodness that it's simply an innocuous detail that doesn't precipitate some catastrophic belt-contamination.

Return to “Outdated/Not implemented”