Map Generator: Re-create maps from older game versions on new versions

Ideas that are too old (too many things have changed since) and ones which won't be implemented for certain reasons or if there are obviously better suggestions.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

AyleeJenn
Inserter
Inserter

Map Generator: Re-create maps from older game versions on new versions

Post by AyleeJenn »

TL;DR
The ability to re-create maps (using the map exchange string) from older versions of the map generator in new versions.

What ?
In the upcoming improvements for the map generator, I suggest that consideration is given to the ability to re-create maps from older versions of the map generator in new versions of the map generator, if so desired (using the map exchange string).

Why ?
So that updates to the game don't make your favorite maps obsolete as well and you can use your maps in newer game versions.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Map Generator: Re-create maps from older game versions on new versions

Post by Rseding91 »

This isn't likely to ever happen.

Keeping around multiple versions of the generation logic would be a colossal task that gives minimal benefit.

Additionally we're still developing the game so putting effort into backwards compatibility for things which aren't even finished doesn't seem like a good use of time.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

AyleeJenn
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Map Generator: Re-create maps from older game versions on new versions

Post by AyleeJenn »

hello and thank you for the time that you took to consider the idea and then also compose a reply. I appreciate it :shock:

It cannot be easy for you guys with the amount of things that go on with the development of factorio alone (and lets not forget that developers have real lives too :D) so even a small investment of time into a brief reply is something that I don't take for granted.

Please don't feel bad for being honest about a suggestion that isn't good :) Thats why this forum exists afterall.

Return to “Outdated/Not implemented”