Please put 32 bit demo versions back up

Ideas that are too old (too many things have changed since) and ones which won't be implemented for certain reasons or if there are obviously better suggestions.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Please put 32 bit demo versions back up

Post by featherwinglove »

https://www.factorio.com/download-demo no longer has the 32 bit versions from the 32 bit days. Support for 32 bit only ended with 0.15. This will allow people with only 32 bit computers (most of which are still worth more than the game's purchase price) to play the game, and it could also motivate them to buy a newer system (I can get 64 bit systems used for $250 desktop and about $400 laptop.) It seems likely to me that Factorio could be the "gateway drug" for new computer gamers, or older computer gamers who miss old-fashioned games like SimCity, WarCraft 2, StarCraft, Lords of the Realm 2 (I know two people who sought out older computers for playing just that game!) Don't forget the message that new versions won't be coming out in 32 bit.

Edit: Now that I'm updating my 0.15 installation, I noticed that all the 32 bit versions are still there when I'm logged into factorio.com, which means its entirely a demo question. Inspiring people to buy new computers vs. potentially fooling people into thinking it's still a 32 bit game. Tough one.
Last edited by featherwinglove on Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Please put 32 bit versions back up

Post by darkfrei »

Why not just Linux?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

It actually ended half way through 0.14, and for a very good reason.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

Given the amount of entities Factorio works with, I can imagine that 32 bits just does not have enough addressing space to support players who want to build a megacomplex. If the devs have ended 32 bit support for this reason, then the game's requirements simply demand a 64 bit OS.
32 bit operating systems can at most address 4GB of memory. For a game like this, that can become a problem.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

The 32 bit build is gone and it's not coming back. We removed it from our build configurations completely.

You can play the last 32 bit build of 0.14 or upgrade to a 64 bit computer.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

I'm not asking for continued 32 bit support, let's be clear about that. All I'm suggesting is putting that "last 32 bit build of 0.14" (and earlier) back up on the downloads page at factorio.com. Also, it isn't for me, since I have a 64 bit machine. Who it's for? People who are unlikely to come here to ask for it. 0.11 is worth $20 bucks, so it might even close a few sales!
kovarex wrote:As steam allows me to check the hardware survey of users playing factorio, I did that and found out that less than 1% of people playing Factorio have 32 bit system.
That regards the Steam version, not the factorio.com downloads page. Part of the reason I dropped Steam entirely is because it caused a lot of lag on my system (at the time a 32 bit system). It seems likely to me that most Factorio players with 32 bit systems are not playing via Steam for this reason. Finally, simply keeping the older 32 bit download files available for ballpark ten thousand people seems to me to be entirely worth it.
bobingabout wrote:It actually ended half way through 0.14, and for a very good reason.
This isn't a very helpful comment, nigh unto silence in value. I doubt very much that a prospective purchaser would be satisfied by it, and it seems likely that it would have ended my consideration of Factorio if I had just been recommended it instead of being the guy trying to convince my friends that this is the game they've been looking for all their lives. You could have used the exact same words, actually, answering the inherently obvious question about what you might mean by "very good reason". Loving the mod pack by the way; I bet it would be hilarious to try on a 2GB computer!

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Please put 32 bit demo versions back up

Post by Rseding91 »

http://i.imgur.com/LHTncdd.png the 32 bit versions of 0.14 are still available to download.

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

64-bit Athlons were released 2003. 64-bit Core 2 Duos were released 2006.
This means any processor from the past 11 years should support 64-bit, and frankly if you have a machine this old it probably struggles with modern websites as well, so you would benefit from getting a new one (even if it's a dirt-cheap second-hand 6 year old machine).

I suspect it is more common nowadays for people to have a 32-bit OS running on a 64-bit hardware.

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Rseding91 wrote:http://i.imgur.com/LHTncdd.png the 32 bit versions of 0.14 are still available to download.
I just figured that out and amended the OP. The 32 bit demos are not available for download when I'm not logged in.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

featherwinglove wrote:
Rseding91 wrote:http://i.imgur.com/LHTncdd.png the 32 bit versions of 0.14 are still available to download.
I just figured that out and amended the OP. The 32 bit demos are not available for download when I'm not logged in.
I believe that's by design so we don't "trick" someone into thinking they can try the demo and the full game will work for them when it doesn't include 32 bit support anymore.

Gangsir
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Gangsir »

Just figured I'd drop this here, It's a survey I took of /r/factorio, which is I believe the second largest (or largest?) aggregation of players.

http://www.strawpoll.me/11294796/r

If steam reports that 1% of people are playing factorio with 32 bit, that means that's 1% of 69%. You greatly overstate the amount of players that this inconveniences.
Finally, simply keeping the older 32 bit download files available for ballpark ten thousand people seems to me to be entirely worth it.
Nah, try ballpark 200-ish people. Or less. Factorio only has about 1-2 million sales, and very, very few of those people are looking for a 32 bit version. It's 2017.
I'm an administrator over at the Factorio wiki. If you have any questions about the wiki, or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me. I'm on the subreddit (/r/factorio, /u/Gangsir) as well.

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Gangsir wrote:Nah, try ballpark 200-ish people. Or less. Factorio only has about 1-2 million sales, and very, very few of those people are looking for a 32 bit version. It's 2017.
Fail math class? 1% of a million is 10,000. Also, 1% of the 69% of Factorio users (82% FTFY) who play Factorio via Steam is not the total of all players who play Factorio on 32 bit.

It's not a good argument when you can't do simple arithmetic. Remember that for next time.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Irregardless of the end figure, there will be no further releases in 32-bit.

With regard to the demo, we don't want to falsely advertise ongoing 32-bit compatibility by allowing new players to play the 0.14/0.13 32-bit demos.

From now on all releases will be 64-bit, as stated many times, and we are not looking at changing our stance.

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

I was never asking for continued 32 bit support; I hope you're not confused, Klonan (especially since you're sounding a bit like a jerk in that last line.)

The question is whether 32 bit demos with a nice honest warning would close sales with people limited to older versions by their systems. I think it would since you had over $20 worth of game two years ago. But confusion over 32 bit support might still result. Like I said in my OP update, it's a tough question, close enough that it probably doesn't make any real difference. Also, a little confusion and people thinking they've been ripped off on 32 bit support is probably worth more than a few lost sales.

raidho36
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by raidho36 »

64 bit processors were rolled into the market as early as 2003, if your CPU can run this game anywhere past basic factory, chances are it's 64 bit as well. You can then install 64 bit Linux and play this game in there. If you have old hardware, you should use Linux either way.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

It seems Klonan is in a good mood today so may i ask if Factorio will get cheaper within the Steam summer sale? :D :lol:

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

steinio wrote:It seems Klonan is in a good mood today so may i ask if Factorio will get cheaper within the Steam summer sale? :D :lol:
The game will be on sale during the Steam summer sale,

The price will be $20,
Which due to inflation, is cheaper than the current price of $20

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Klonan wrote:
steinio wrote:It seems Klonan is in a good mood today so may i ask if Factorio will get cheaper within the Steam summer sale? :D :lol:

The price will be $20,
:D

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Klonan wrote:

The price will be $20,
Ah, so maybe I did get the official Wube perspective correct that Factorio does go on sale. It's always on sale for $20.00 :)

Of course, the whole 32 bit thing usually has nothing to do with the processor. Such as all those poor Unity 4 games stuck in the 32 bit era as little as two years ago because the engine couldn't get their ducks in a row. Or monkeys. Or kerbals.

Therefore pro tip:
raidho36 wrote:If you have old hardware, you should use Linux either way.
E.g. KSP supported 64 bit on Linux a full year before it supported 64 bit on Winblows.

Datruenodge
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Datruenodge »

I for one, really want the 32 bit version of the game put on this website, GOG and Steam because all of our computers are 32 bit so we can't play the game. Also, putting the 32 bit one would increase purchases. All of my friends want Factorio too, but can't get it for the same reasons. Even my brand new laptop is on 32 bit, so I can't even get it on that.

Return to “Outdated/Not implemented”