Add debug info to Lua API

Ideas that are too old (too many things have changed since) and ones which won't be implemented for certain reasons or if there are obviously better suggestions.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

NiftyManiac
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Add debug info to Lua API

Post by NiftyManiac »

It'd be nice if we could access the info on the debug screens, like FPS/UPS or script update time, via the Lua API. This would be useful for monitoring server performance via console, and recording benchmark data.

Maybe this post should be in "Modding API Requests"... but I wouldn't imagine this change to be actually used by mods.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Add debug info to Lua API

Post by Rseding91 »

None of that information is part of the game state and as such would cause desyncs if a mod ever tried to use it.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

NiftyManiac
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by NiftyManiac »

Makes sense. Could it be made available only from the console, but not from mods? Similar to how game.player can be accessed only from the console.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

There is no way to do that, cause the same program is running on all clients at the same time. If one has different data it can calculate things with it which breaks the determinism.

Something like that can only be implement in a way, that the information is an event, which is shared over all clients. Which is quite expensive.

Moved to won't implement. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Outdated/Not implemented”