Idea: Side Inserter

Ideas that are too old (too many things have changed since) and ones which won't be implemented for certain reasons or if there are obviously better suggestions.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Mur
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Idea: Side Inserter

Post by Mur »

Injectors can only inject x -> x Sometimes when making things like manufacturing items, I need to put things in chests in small spaces. I was thinking if maybe you can make loaders be able to load like an L

Last edited by Mur on Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mindreader
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Side Injector

Post by mindreader »

Good idea.

Or add same function to inserters as there is for transport line.
In this case button "R" is ocupied with "turn" fuction, so you can do it like "Shift+R" for "Curve" function.
Attachments
Inserter.png
Inserter.png (10.08 KiB) Viewed 14574 times

Mur
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Mur »

Honestly I think that would be the best way, then you don't need to create a ton of them

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Interesting ideas guys.

There are two main reasons why this is not in the game already:
1) Simplicity
We have strived to have couple of simple elements (i.e. inserters, belts, containers) that can be combined in complicated ways. That is a sort of thing we believe makes the game really interesting. Emerging complexity from few simple rules (game of Go anyone ?). ATM It is possible to simulate the functionality of the L inserter with regular inserters. However if this would prove to be useful and would allow combinations and setups we haven't thought of then great!

2) Visualisation.
It is not obvious to us how to visualise where is the inserter going to put the item. We think it is really important that by looking at the picture of the factory it is possible to deduce what is happening. If you have any ideas how to do that please tell us !

Oh and I changed the name to "Side Inserter". Hope you don't mind.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Side Inserter

Post by slpwnd »

One more thing. In case we decide to go with this in the future I like the variant with "rotating" the existing inserters better.
Two reasons:
1) Less items / recipes / entities
2) Can be combined with all the existing inserters (burner, long hand, simple, smart, etc.)

rymn
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by rymn »

mindreader wrote:Good idea.

In this case button "R" is ocupied with "turn" fuction, so you can do it like "Shift+R" for "Curve" function.
Had the same idea. Great illustration.

I think it would be nice to be able to choose which side of the belts they pick from our put to. Near side, far side, center or any available!

To address the issue of complexity, they should operate the way they do currently. Anyone interested in the complexities of building super compact factories can find use the turning and belt position features. Anyone that costs not to use those features will play the game as we do now.

Jaque_Thay
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Idea: Side Inserter

Post by Jaque_Thay »

One way I can see of doing it is to have an animation showing where goods are drawn from (it's a good idea to keep things visual) then letting the inserter drop goods into the selected location.

Right now inserters go X > X or

X
^
X

And this works fine with the 'r' to rotate system. For advanced users though I think this might work well. I = inserter. O = origin. D = potential destinations.
D O D
D I D
D D D

Right now, the inserter takes from top-middle and deposits in bottom-middle - or with 'r' takes from centre-left and deposits centre-right (or vice versa). With the use of shift + r though it could be possible to turn 45 degrees rather than 90 and set a diagonal destination (to avoid having to press 'r' 8 times to cycle back to the start).

There's a second problem raised by this - at present inserters collect from the opposite side to where they drop off. Nice and easy. That would be broken by this method, so instead I'd suggest linking the inserter to its input the same way underground belts link when they are placed.

rdrdrdrd
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by rdrdrdrd »

rymn wrote:

I think it would be nice to be able to choose which side of the belts they pick from our put to. Near side, far side, center or any available!

To address the issue of complexity, they should operate the way they do currently. Anyone interested in the complexities of building super compact factories can find use the turning and belt position features. Anyone that costs not to use those features will play the game as we do now.
Yes this is the biggest feature I find myself wanting for inserters

rymn
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by rymn »

rdrdrdrd wrote:
rymn wrote:

Yes this is the biggest feature I find myself wanting for inserters
I agree, and after I learn to mod this game I will be making side inserters!

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Side inserters are available as mod, but here it is explained by Kovarex himself, why they are not in the vanilla.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

tom89194
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by tom89194 »

Where is that explained?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Outdated/Not implemented”