dropping chest/belt on item on ground

Ideas that are too old (too many things have changed since) and ones which won't be implemented for certain reasons or if there are obviously better suggestions.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

lucserre
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

dropping chest/belt on item on ground

Post by lucserre »

When you drop place a chest on an item that is on the ground, or in an inserter arm hovering over ground, the item should be added to the chest contents, not the player inventory.
Example, you just put together assembly machine that outputs iron gear wheels, and you then add an inserter to outout the iron gear wheel, the inserter will put the item on the ground right away. Then when you drop a chest to collect the iron gear wheels, you end up +1 iron gear wheel in your inventory when it should ideally go in the chest. Same with belts being output'd on.
Last edited by lucserre on Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: dropping chest/belt on item on ground

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

Inserters do pick up items off the ground, if it doesn't work with a dropped item it's probably an optimisation or something that totally disables the inserter until something like a belt raises the event to kick it off again because there are items to grab.

I bet if you rotate the inserter 360 degrees it will pick up the item.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

lucserre
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by lucserre »

Deadly-Bagel wrote:Inserters do pick up items off the ground, if it doesn't work with a dropped item it's probably an optimisation or something that totally disables the inserter until something like a belt raises the event to kick it off again because there are items to grab.

I bet if you rotate the inserter 360 degrees it will pick up the item.
I think you misunderstand my comment. I'm not worried about inserters picking up anything from the ground.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

Ah, I see, not sure how I got that backwards lol.

I can see where you're going with that but mostly I have it with assemblers as I need to move it one tile along or something and the inserters drop an item on the ground but when you place the assembler it adds the item to your inventory. Of course with assemblers there is no option as without a recipe it doesn't know if it should have the item or not but can honestly say I've very rarely had this with chests and never with inserters.

Could you explain the sort of situation you're likely to encounter this and want it as a feature?

lucserre
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by lucserre »

Deadly-Bagel wrote:Could you explain the sort of situation you're likely to encounter this and want it as a feature?
Well, if you've got a non-empty assembly machine looking to output something (assuming you just build it, connected all the inputs, and it's already created some stuff, but has nowhere to output to yet), then you place an inserter to output from the assembly machine, and that inserter outputs to the ground, and then you place a chest for the inserter to output into, the item that was already on the ground there, goes in your inventory.
For example, at 13m35s in this video: https://youtu.be/yoARJG1wWP0?t=13m27s

mattj256
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mattj256 »

lucserre wrote:For example, at 13m35s in this video: https://youtu.be/yoARJG1wWP0?t=13m27s
This is what I see:

1. Player creates inserter to handle output for the assembling machine.
2. Player places a chest one square below the output square. The chest doesn't get filled because it's not in the right spot.
3. Player places a chest on the right square and it gets filled up immediately.
4. Player picks up the (useless) chest that he placed in step 2.

I don't see anything wrong here, or any behavior that should be changed.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

The machine is producing Landfill and the Inserter drops a Landfill on the ground before a chest is placed. When the chest is placed in that spot, the Landfill is entered into the player's inventory. The OP is suggesting the Landfill should be added to the chest instead.

Personally I don't really have an opinion on this. On one hand yeah I can see the merits, stops some those random little items sneaking in to your inventory but it makes it inconsistent with assemblers and such which cannot have this behaviour apply to them and it's such a minor quirk that I don't feel it would have any real benefits.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I see it the same. A small advantage is not enough for implementation, especially when there is then an added inconsistency.

I move this to won't implement. If there are new/better ideas please create a new suggestion. Such a suggestion should add more game-value, a second use-case or fix the inconsistency problem. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

mattj256
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mattj256 »

ssilk wrote:I move this to won't implement.
Ssilk right now this thread is in "implemented suggestions". Is that correct? No argument with your decision not to implement it.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Indeed. Thanks. This hundreds of boards... :roll:
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Outdated/Not implemented”