Flamethrower balance idea

Ideas that are too old (too many things have changed since) and ones which won't be implemented for certain reasons or if there are obviously better suggestions.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

SydWad
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Flamethrower balance idea

Post by SydWad »

I think flame turrets would be more balanced if their fire produced large amounts of pollution.

At the moment i agree with the side arguing that flame turrets are too powerful. Once you make a flame wall running on a small handful of oil wells you have basically removed all combat in the game. For some people thats the point but i find it a little lame. I think that making it so they produce a ton of pollution when used would be a good first step to make them less over powered, they are literally sending out a burning stream of crude oil onto the ground.
Another one is i think they should use a ton more oil similar to how much power laser turrets use in short periods, but its a smaller idea and i could live without it.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Flamethrower balance idea

Post by Qon »

LOL :D

Ok, so how many enemies do you think should spawn for every kill?
Seems like you would almost instantly hit 100% evolution and ALL turrets firing continuously and never stopping once the first flamethrower starts. With "massive pollution" you easily get an exponential feedback loop and your factory or your computer dies inevitably shortly after making the huge mistake of ever using flamethrower turrets after they have been "balanced". :lol:

Increasing their fuel consumption seems like a BUFF, since it would mean you run out of oil faster so that you can stop firing and stop polluting. Though by that time it might already be too late. If you get maximum attacks possible all the time though than it seems your oil would drain somewhat quickly at some point without increased consumption...

I'm almost tempted to make it a mod because of how silly this would be :twisted: 8-)

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Increased fuel usage, yes.
Increased pollution, no, for the reasons already mentioned.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

SydWad
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by SydWad »

Qon wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:01 pm

Ok, so how many enemies do you think should spawn for every kill?
It would be interesting to see for sure, at this point flame turrets make an invincible defense so my thinking would be the trade off is its like a devil's bargain.
But i guess a never ending attack would be kinda dumb.

I have been looking for a while for a mod that would remove the direct attack damage for the flame thrower so its just the burning ground damage, making them more of a support weapon and not the end-all-be-all of defense. Not sure if it would be the best idea either but i would like to try it.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

SydWad wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:41 pm
... I think that making it so they produce a ton of pollution when used would be a good first step to make them less over powered ...
We have no desire to make them less powerful.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to “Outdated/Not implemented”