Small Idea: Fish only Spawns in Blue Water

Ideas that are too old (too many things have changed since) and ones which won't be implemented for certain reasons or if there are obviously better suggestions.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

InspireMe7
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Small Idea: Fish only Spawns in Blue Water

Post by InspireMe7 »

When i played Factorio again today after a long while smth made me laugh a bit.
Why is it that i can catch a Fish in a deeply Poisonous Green Lake, surrounded by heavy Machinery, eat that, and then gain health from it?

I mean this is just a small irrelevant Detail but what if they would only Spawn in Blue Fresh Water?

Could be a nice little Detail i think :)

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Small Idea: Fish only Spawns in Blue Water

Post by Loewchen »

Fish already only spawn in clean water, since they are only created once on map start.

makrom
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by makrom »

Exactly, fish don't spawn either way. One could argue that pollution should kill fish, similar to how it kills trees, but I think such a change would only make sense if fish become reproducing (which would be logical, but not do much for gameplay in my opinion).

InspireMe7
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by InspireMe7 »

They only Spawn once at Game Start? But new created Lakes Spawn them too i guess?

If that is true then the Idea is obsolete ofc. Maybe they could mutate instead?

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

The game doesn't create new lakes later - it's all in existence since game start from the player's point of view. You might see the engine create new chunks on the fly when you explore them, but actually it is made as if all exists since game start. Since it's all dependent and based on the map seed, actual instantiation as visible objects in the game can be postponed until the player actually looks at them.

All games with the same map seed are created with the same world. If you look at a water tile 100 hours into a game 100 chunks away from the start area and locate all the fish in it, it wouldn't look any different as if you just take the map seed, create a new game, and locate the same tile just after creating the game. You will find the same fish in it.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

moved to won’t implement
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Outdated/Not implemented”