Can the limit of maximum 64 connection distance of poles be lifted

Ideas that are too old (too many things have changed since) and ones which won't be implemented for certain reasons or if there are obviously better suggestions.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

sdgmlj
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Can the limit of maximum 64 connection distance of poles be lifted

Post by sdgmlj »

I like this game very much, but I just don't like placing a lot of poles. Can I lift the maximum 64 limit or add some appropriately? To meet different needs of people.

robot256
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Can the limit of maximum 64 connection distance of poles be lifted

Post by robot256 »

I can't find the link, but the Factorio devs have stated the current power pole range limit exists because of lag. Even at a distance of 64, there can be a lot of lag every time anything builds a pole or anything that uses electricity, because a very large area needs to be searched for poles to connect to or draw power from every time.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

sdgmlj wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:41 am
I like this game very much, but I just don't like placing a lot of poles. Can I lift the maximum 64 limit or add some appropriately? To meet different needs of people.
uhm use substations

sdgmlj
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by sdgmlj »

ptx0 wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:43 pm
sdgmlj wrote:
uhm use substations
Thank you. Can the substation have a long connection distance? Or is there a larger scope? But I can't find this mod

sdgmlj
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by sdgmlj »

robot256 wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:08 pm
I can't find the link, but the Factorio devs have stated the current power pole range limit exists because of lag. Even at a distance of 64, there can be a lot of lag every time anything builds a pole or anything that uses electricity, because a very large area needs to be searched for poles to connect to or draw power from every time.
Thank you. I don't understand the game mechanism, but many similar games are unlimited. For example, the "Dyson quest plan" is unlimited. I can only put one pole on a planet, but I still like this game. I hope this game is the same

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

sdgmlj wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:31 am
robot256 wrote:
Thank you. I don't understand the game mechanism, but many similar games are unlimited. For example, the "Dyson quest plan" is unlimited. I can only put one pole on a planet, but I still like this game. I hope this game is the same
For every pole you place, it needs to check a radius around it of its wire reach distance for other poles that it can connect to. Example, 100 reach pole would need to check a radius of 100 tiles. A simple area calculation has this as 31416 tiles that would beed to be checked, but the reality due to fractional tiles is that this figure may be larger or smaller depending on how the devs handle it. Same applies to giving power.

Other games may have different mechanisms where their “tile” sizes are different when it comes to power poles, or are wireless, or other (to use your example, 1 pole per planet could be a simple bool check against the planet: does it have a pole?).
sdgmlj wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:28 am
ptx0 wrote:
sdgmlj wrote:
uhm use substations
Thank you. Can the substation have a long connection distance? Or is there a larger scope? But I can't find this mod
Not a mod. It’s a base game item. Has a wide area power coverage. Not as much as you’re looking for, but it reduces the need for placing poles immensely.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

sdgmlj
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by sdgmlj »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:18 am
sdgmlj wrote:
robot256 wrote:
For every pole you place, it needs to check a radius around it of its wire reach distance for other poles that it can connect to. Example, 100 reach pole would need to check a radius of 100 tiles. A simple area calculation has this as 31416 tiles that would beed to be checked, but the reality due to fractional tiles is that this figure may be larger or smaller depending on how the devs handle it. Same applies to giving power.

Other games may have different mechanisms where their “tile” sizes are different when it comes to power poles, or are wireless, or other (to use your example, 1 pole per planet could be a simple bool check against the planet: does it have a pole?).
sdgmlj wrote:
ptx0 wrote:
sdgmlj wrote:
uhm use substations
Not a mod. It’s a base game item. Has a wide area power coverage. Not as much as you’re looking for, but it reduces the need for placing poles immensely.
Thank you for your reply.

I like this game very much, but I have obsessive-compulsive disorder. Everywhere I go, I must be covered with the power grid, so it is too difficult for me to place the telegraph pole. Even 128 * 128 can not meet my needs:(

sdgmlj
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by sdgmlj »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:18 am
sdgmlj wrote:
robot256 wrote:

sdgmlj wrote:
ptx0 wrote:
sdgmlj wrote:
uhm use substations
The default setting of Dyson's plan is also very small, but it can be modified through mod, so I enlarged it 1000 times.. I think the game should be unrestricted and let users choose. For example, my computer configuration is high enough and I can change it to a larger number.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

sdgmlj wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:37 am
The default setting of Dyson's plan is also very small, but it can be modified through mod, so I enlarged it 1000 times.. I think the game should be unrestricted and let users choose. For example, my computer configuration is high enough and I can change it to a larger number.
it used to be the way you're asking for. it was creating too many support requests and Wube didn't want to deal with people who don't understand why it makes it slow.

you should just install Bob's Power mod and be done with it, use the substations and place fewer poles. but no one is going to change anything in the base game about this.

sdgmlj
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by sdgmlj »

ptx0 wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:58 am
sdgmlj wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:37 am
it used to be the way you're asking for. it was creating too many support requests and Wube didn't want to deal with people who don't understand why it makes it slow.

you should just install Bob's Power mod and be done with it, use the substations and place fewer poles. but no one is going to change anything in the base game about this.
Thank you. I don't think even bob'power will exceed the maximum 64 limit. I don't think I need to install it

sdgmlj
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by sdgmlj »

Thank you for letting me know a lot, because I haven't been here long

sdgmlj
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by sdgmlj »

So, can I modify the file to remove this restriction? I play stand-alone without affecting others. My computer configuration is very high. Even if it slows down, I won't complain about the official. So, where is this file? Hope to tell me

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

sdgmlj wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:26 pm
So, can I modify the file to remove this restriction? I play stand-alone without affecting others. My computer configuration is very high. Even if it slows down, I won't complain about the official. So, where is this file? Hope to tell me
No. This is within the core game itself. The devs would need to make the change.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

sdgmlj
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by sdgmlj »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:30 pm
sdgmlj wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:26 pm
No. This is within the core game itself. The devs would need to make the change.
Thank you. I always thought it was in a file. I haven't found it for a long time. I'm relieved this time.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

yeah go nuts with a resource editor (hex editor) and you'll probably find the number '64' somewhere and can modify it. good luck! :D

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

The limit was created after mods created poles with ridiculous wire reach and people made bug reports of frame drops when holding poles, so this is not likely to be changed.

sdgmlj
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by sdgmlj »

You can put this file in the outer layer where mod cannot be modified. In this way, those who want to modify it can modify it themselves and bear the consequences. Is this suggestion OK?

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

sdgmlj wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:56 pm
You can put this file in the outer layer where mod cannot be modified. In this way, those who want to modify it can modify it themselves and bear the consequences. Is this suggestion OK?
LOL NO learn to use substations, they cover more area than poles, so you can place fewer of them

or just use a mod that makes no machine need power.

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/NoEnergyRequired

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Ptx0: I don’t think that was the point. Connection limit is about distances, not coverage.

In general I would say this won’t be implemented, especially because a hard coded limit has been build in to prevent the game from dying. A modder cannot estimate how long a graphics card in an older computer will need to draw such a long wire. Things that take nanoseconds on his machine can take some milliseconds on another.

therefore moved to won’t implement
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

GrumpyJoe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GrumpyJoe »

Long DISTANCE coverage, NOT large AREA?

Make more power plants (power outposts), so you don't need to drag large pole lines to outposts?

I don't understand how even heavy ocd can have an effect because of that one thing. You'd need to build rails to far distance outposts too.

Return to “Outdated/Not implemented”