Yuoki Industries - Informations, Suggestions, Questions

Energy production, weapons, handling fluids and much more - excellent graphics.

Moderator: YuokiTani

arceus179
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Yuoki Industries - Informations, Suggestions, Questions

Post by arceus179 »

Ah. from the description I thought it took some kind of ammo

tux_mark_5
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by tux_mark_5 »

So I've been trying this mod and I find it's graphics beautiful.

However one negative thing that keeps me from fully enjoying the mod is improper English: even I'm not a native English speaker myself, but I can't help but to notice typos (e.g. Blue Unified Sciene), non-english words (e.g. Argonomie, Fuseing), weird punctuation (e.g. i'am), weird capitalization (starting sentences with lower case, uppercasing random words; this is especially noticeable in recipe names, where some recipe names start with lower case, some with upper) all over the place. Furthermore, some recipes are weirdly named too (e.g. make some BP-CAT-28).

At very least I would recommend to enable spell checking while editing lua files, as it would help avoiding trivial spelling mistakes. But I would really recommend finding somebody (hopefully native English speaker) who can go over translations and fix these mistakes, because right now it really detracts from overall experience. Uploading the whole thing to GitHub and allowing patches might be a good idea too.

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

The typos and grammar errors are on purpose. As for some of the recipe names, there are reasons for them. Enjoy their uniqueness. ;)

BP-CAT-28 stands for Bergius Process Catalyst #28, of course. But you don't really need to know that to use it.
Maintainer and developer of Atomic Power. See here for more information.
Current release: 0.6.6 - Requires 0.14.x
Example build - Requires 0.14.x

tux_mark_5
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by tux_mark_5 »

Fatmice wrote:The typos and grammar errors are on purpose. As for some of the recipe names, there are reasons for them
I doubt that.
Fatmice wrote:BP-CAT-28 stands for Bergius Process Catalyst #28, of course. But you don't really need to know that to use it.
In my post I was referring to the "make some" part of the recipe name. I even bolded it to avoid confusion. The full recipe name is "MAKE SOME BP-CAT-28". Only a few recipes start with "make some". None of the vanilla ones do.

Either way, I would recommend to get this fixed, considering that amount of factorio players has doubled in the previous few weeks. These titling errors, misspellings and other issues make the mod look unprofessional, which will most likely push more than a few players to other alternatives - mainly DyTech or Bob's mods, which, while don't have fancy graphics, feel still quite more polished and professional than Yuoki's mods.

YuokiTani
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by YuokiTani »

tux_mark_5 wrote: make the mod look unprofessional, which will most likely push more than a few players to other alternatives - mainly DyTech or Bob's mods, which, while don't have fancy graphics, feel still quite more polished and professional than Yuoki's mods.
THIS makes me proud :) - someone after all this time notice i'am a hobby-mod maker and make this for my own personal fun !
Of course professional players deserve a professional modification ! (the forum is full of professional mods except YI - (who moved me out of the WIP-section ?))

some random side note here ... the game (factorio) is still in alpha ? - or early beta ? - or have i missed the last 1.0.0 release update ?

if this addon goes professional and more players play with Yuoki-Industries - i got a hidden achievement ?, more comments ?, more suggestions ?, useless internet-fame or what ?
i'am curious to know what i can win with more professional recipe-names and correct english grammar.
and what i can say to the russian or german speaking players - no new translation for a very long time.

after all, it's still only a game - in 5-10 years nobody cares about factorio or this addon ... (except maybe 1.0 is released)
(and i make still unprofessional mods/addons under a different nickname for a different game - as in the years previously - as simple as that)

tux_mark_5
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by tux_mark_5 »

Very well, if you don't want objective criticism, then I won't provide it.

All I wanted is to make Factorio more fun indirectly by improving quality of it's mods - mods are one of the selling points of Factorio. I thought you of all people understood that. The more people play the game, the more modders there are, the more fun is the game and the more new players it attracts. It's a like closed ecosystem. But if you don't want any help, then that's your choice. I'm sure people would have gladly contributed to this mod if it was available on GitHub, but not with that attitude.

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

You're really not the first to comment on the spelling issues (search back and you'll see plenty whom have trodden the same path you did). I told you but you didn't listen. It is going to stay exactly like that. End of story.

Regarding help, you really can't help Yuoki, unless you are good with modeling and making sprite art. He doesn't really want help with spellings. ;) If you want to offer locale translation, feel free to submit it here. You don't need a github to get that going.
tux_mark_5 wrote:Very well, if you don't want objective criticism, then I won't provide it.
It's not that he doesn't want it, it's that there isn't anything to criticise...not what you're going to provide anyway. How deep did you get into the mod that you think you can offer criticism?
tux_mark_5 wrote: All I wanted is to make Factorio more fun indirectly by improving quality of it's mods - mods are one of the selling points of Factorio. I thought you of all people understood that. The more people play the game, the more modders there are, the more fun is the game and the more new players it attracts. It's a like closed ecosystem. But if you don't want any help, then that's your choice. I'm sure people would have gladly contributed to this mod if it was available on GitHub, but not with that attitude.
Yuoki made these mod first for his enjoyment, not for anyone else's. If you enjoy it, great but that's a side benefit. If you don't like some part of it, change it to suit yourself. Don't start with saying this is bad or that is bad. Who are you? :roll:

This shouldn't be taken as mean or anything, just that is how it is. You take this modding way too seriously...way more than the modders. There is a fine line between a hobby and a profession. This is a hobby. Who cares what others do, that is their business.

tux_mark_5
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by tux_mark_5 »

Fatmice wrote:Regarding help, you really can't help Yuoki, unless you are good with modeling and making sprite art. He doesn't really want help with spellings. ;) If you want to offer locale translation, feel free to submit it here. You don't need a github to get that going.
Has Yuoki provided any justification as of why he doesn't accept grammar fixes when he's admitted that he's not so well versed in English?
Fatmice wrote: It's not that he doesn't want it, it's that there isn't anything to criticise...not what you're going to provide anyway. How deep did you get into the mod that you think you can offer criticism?
I'm 100% ok currently with the mod's mechanics and graphics. As I mentioned, the thing that caught my eye (and without doubt will do the same to others) is the text.
Fatmice wrote: Yuoki made these mod first for his enjoyment, not for anyone else's. If you enjoy it, great but that's a side benefit. If you don't like some part of it, change it to suit yourself. Don't start with saying this is bad or that is bad. Who are you? :roll:

This shouldn't be taken as mean or anything, just that is how it is. You take this modding way too seriously...way more than the modders. There is a fine line between a hobby and a profession. This is a hobby. Who cares what others do, that is their business.
Fair enough. It's just hard for me to let something like this go when it's such a great mod otherwise with so much work put into already and additional fixes are trivial yet so gamechanging. Changing a few lines of text isn't that hard. If the project was in a public repository, I would have done the changes probably myself already.

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

tux_mark_5 wrote: Has Yuoki provided any justification as of why he doesn't accept grammar fixes when he's admitted that he's not so well versed in English?
I never said he doesn't accept grammar fixes, only that he doesn't care to fix the grammar. :lol: There is a pinned thread with background story and what not for some of the items and their names...some of them are parody of real life stuff that he likes. It's in german so I can't read it and google translate is horrible. :P . Regardless, though, for personal reasons or whatever, I've come to respect and accept, even encourage, his decision for keeping things as they are. In fact that's what separates Yuokitani's stuff from the rest of the mods found on the forum. Sometimes, you'd think someone was having a hard drink on one hand and a computer keyboard on the other. I find it entertaining reading some of the stuff.
tux_mark_5 wrote: I'm 100% ok currently with the mod's mechanics and graphics. As I mentioned, the thing that caught my eye (and without doubt will do the same to others) is the text.
Feel free to take the en locale and submit a grammar, typos-free version. If Yuoki approves, he might add a download link for those who wants that. You could even roll a "mod" yourself with just the en-locale and offer it to the forum in another thread if you are passionate about this.
tux_mark_5 wrote: Fair enough. It's just hard for me to let something like this go when it's such a great mod otherwise with so much work put into already and additional fixes are trivial yet so gamechanging. Changing a few lines of text isn't that hard. If the project was in a public repository, I would have done the changes probably myself already.
Don't worry, this is not MC forums. :lol: You won't be hard-press to find people accusing you of stealing stuff, unless you are, for just changing text on your own copy or submitting a en locale with the "correct" text. We're very much a do-it-yourself-if-you-so-please crowd.

YuokiTani
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by YuokiTani »

i'am a fan of makeing stuff and not talking about before i have made something.
if you had taken the whole time you writeing here and explain what i should do - you had fixing the grammar and uploaded the file - it would probably already in game ...

summary - i have answered you, fatmice answered you - and the grammar is the same ... what a progess.
(but the wrong typing in Science is fixed in next version ... yeah)

Ringkeeper
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ringkeeper »

hmmm.... who cares about grammar? At least the descriptions are funny :D Still miss them on the rail mod :(

YuokiTani
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by YuokiTani »

Ringkeeper wrote:hmmm.... who cares about grammar? At least the descriptions are funny :D Still miss them on the rail mod :(
good point - thank you for remember me -> for most items/entitys fixed in next version. (as always funny & mostly useless)

arceus179
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by arceus179 »

I have the latest version of yuoki installed, where are the paths? i cant find them

YuokiTani
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by YuokiTani »

ground-floor-tiles are in yi-railroads (Tile-Factory)

Ringkeeper
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ringkeeper »

oh and while talking about missing stuff... is it intentional that the rail building have no sound when they produce stuff? Also the electric mining drill (the big 7x7 one) has no sound while working . Or is something wrong on my side?

Porter65
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Porter65 »

Questions must have been asked zillions of times, but after reading the 3 last pages, I see no reference about it.

Can we play both Yuoki and Bob's mods at the same time?

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

Ringkeeper wrote:oh and while talking about missing stuff... is it intentional that the rail building have no sound when they produce stuff? Also the electric mining drill (the big 7x7 one) has no sound while working . Or is something wrong on my side?
Correct, they don't have sound.
Porter65 wrote:Questions must have been asked zillions of times, but after reading the 3 last pages, I see no reference about it.

Can we play both Yuoki and Bob's mods at the same time?
There is a thread search you know? Don't be so lazy. There shouldn't be conflicts.

Jackalope_Gaming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Jackalope_Gaming »

I got looking through the Railways portion of Yuoki Industries to see what lengths the entities are. Why do none of the entities seem to have whole number lengths? The total length is a combination of the lines connection_distance and joint_distance. For example, the "y_wagon_closed" entity has connection_distance at 3.6 and joint_distance at 1.8, for a total length of 5.4 tiles in game. I'm glad you've chosen even decimals instead of the odd ones in the base game, but why not make them whole numbers to make them more usable and prevent tile overlap for inserters?

bruteman
Inserter
Inserter

Post by bruteman »

Jackielope wrote:I got looking through the Railways portion of Yuoki Industries to see what lengths the entities are. Why do none of the entities seem to have whole number lengths? The total length is a combination of the lines connection_distance and joint_distance. For example, the "y_wagon_closed" entity has connection_distance at 3.6 and joint_distance at 1.8, for a total length of 5.4 tiles in game. I'm glad you've chosen even decimals instead of the odd ones in the base game, but why not make them whole numbers to make them more usable and prevent tile overlap for inserters?
Yuoki can correct me if i am wrong but the art comes first so once hes designed the art he adjusts the size to fit the art not the other way around which is leading to the visual experience you have. I have tested most rail cars tho and i haven't ever encountered one that the inserter overlaps the game assigns the tile to one or the other inserter and for the most part on the wagons 90% of them still fit the vanilla style 7 inserters per wagon configuration.

I myself play with the rails for the looks of the trains once i choose a train design (engine and cars) I then build my loaders and un-loaders for that train type mixing un/loading stations for many different youki trains is ill advised :)

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

Jackielope wrote:I got looking through the Railways portion of Yuoki Industries to see what lengths the entities are. Why do none of the entities seem to have whole number lengths? The total length is a combination of the lines connection_distance and joint_distance. For example, the "y_wagon_closed" entity has connection_distance at 3.6 and joint_distance at 1.8, for a total length of 5.4 tiles in game. I'm glad you've chosen even decimals instead of the odd ones in the base game, but why not make them whole numbers to make them more usable and prevent tile overlap for inserters?
Art comes first, then length. There is no way to know ahead of time how many pixels something will take up in the game.

Return to “Yuoki Industries”