Optimized GFX for Yuoki Mods (Oh,it's so lighter!) V3 upd!

Energy production, weapons, handling fluids and much more - excellent graphics.

Moderator: YuokiTani

nastyslave
Inserter
Inserter

Optimized GFX for Yuoki Mods (Oh,it's so lighter!) V3 upd!

Post by nastyslave »

Yuoki mods are great.. but.. but.. what??
They have a
huge size and your game now loads too slow???
- SOLVED!
:mrgreen:

Image Image Image Image

About V2:
Hello again. And again I decide do some work on optimizations! Our master Yuoki release a new versions for this period of time and I repack them again to be up to date.
Thanks mr. keyboardhack to open my eyes to beautiful pngquant utility. I start to search any similiar programs that can improve our results in compress of our factorio png-graphics. Then I find awesome compresser called pingo! On the site of pingo autor write a complex review of many png-optimizers! After hundreds of tests i decide to pick both pngquant and pingo to postprocess our graphics. Result is simply amazing, as always! Size reduced again, and again it's visually seems as original! Each image was processed by pngquant and then compressed ultimately with pingo. Images with gradients were optimized especially carefully and file by file to prevent quality loss.

Oh. Almost forget. I write a simple humble script - so anyone can now compress their png's like a boss 8-) (see readme in it for details).

I'm pleased to report that overall final size of four Yuoki's main mods is REDUCED from 271Mb to unbelievable 68,4Mb!!! ( -74,7% )
About old v1
Last edited by nastyslave on Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:55 am, edited 6 times in total.

nastyslave
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Optimised GFX for Yuoki Mods (Oh, it's so lighter now!)

Post by nastyslave »

edit.
-----
delete for outdate
Last edited by nastyslave on Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

YuokiTani
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Optimized GFX for Yuoki Mods (Oh, it's so lighter now!)

Post by YuokiTani »

good idea and a lot of work/effort you put in.
everyone with gfx-problems should give this a try.

nastyslave
Inserter
Inserter

Post by nastyslave »

YuokiTani wrote:good idea and a lot of work/effort you put in.
everyone with gfx-problems should give this a try.
Thank you master of graphics! It's an honor to hear such kind words from you! 8-)
I just wish to add something useful and wanted in your AWESOME MODS! Thanks again!
Please, keep making mods, because noone draws so beautiful things like Yuoki!

YuokiTani
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by YuokiTani »

Thank You !
Your work is needed, because i usual make new-gfx only in HD except trains.

Mooncat
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Mooncat »

Oh wow! I should definitely try it when I get home. Maybe this can also explain why my notebook can't run when YI mods are installed. :lol:
Thanks for the work!

fishycat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by fishycat »

hey, thanks for this optimized gfx, awesome!

I optimized the newly added armor folder inside Yuoki_0.4.61. Could save nearly 50% to total now 6.53 MB.

I will attach it here if it´s ok.
Attachments
armor.zip
(6.46 MiB) Downloaded 263 times

keyboardhack
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by keyboardhack »

I tried out compressing the mods myself and was able to compress them quite bit further. All mods can be downloaded below which now only fills 76mb instead of the original 267mb.

I used pngquant to compress all the files with the following command on each image.

Code: Select all

pngquant --quality=70-80 --speed 1 <filepath>  --ext .png --force
The command replaces the file at <filepath> with a compressed version of the file if pngquant is able to compress the file.
Yuoki_0.4.61.zip
(21.92 MiB) Downloaded 285 times
yi_railway_0.4.14.zip
(41.87 MiB) Downloaded 293 times
yi_pfw_0.4.15.zip
(2.92 MiB) Downloaded 288 times
yi_engines_0.4.19.zip
(9.82 MiB) Downloaded 267 times
Waste of bytes : P

fishycat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by fishycat »

keyboardhack wrote:I tried out compressing the mods myself and was able to compress them quite bit further. All mods can be downloaded below which now only fills 76mb instead of the original 267mb.

I used pngquant to compress all the files with the following command on each image.
Wow, that program you used is so good, thanks for sharing it!

I tried it with another mod (Factorio Extended Core) and could compress the graphics for nearly 70% :shock: :D

YuokiTani
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by YuokiTani »

maybe i should use this a standard post-production ...

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Would need to check if there is a quality loss in game.
This tool makes png lossy - might not make a big difference in game.

keyboardhack
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by keyboardhack »

YuokiTani wrote:maybe i should use this a standard post-production ...
You definetly should.
orzelek wrote:Would need to check if there is a quality loss in game.
This tool makes png lossy - might not make a big difference in game.
I am using pngquant in WaiTex and i can't see any visual difference with the above command.

If you want to use lossless comression instead then one option is optipng.
You can use the following command:

Code: Select all

optipng -o7 <filepath>
Using optipng the average compression is ~20%.
With pngquant the average compression is ~70%.
Waste of bytes : P

nastyslave
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Optimized GFX for Yuoki Mods (Oh,it's so lighter!) V2 upd!

Post by nastyslave »

Version 2 is here!

All updated description and links in the first post. All graphics repacked again and now it's up to date!

As a bonus, here some magic script i've write to automate deep optimizing of PNG's by drag&drop. It uses pngquant+pingo and give a great results! See readme in it.

P.S. Hey, dear Yuoki, tell us please! As you know from last FFF-#164, that Factorio team is "Looking for 3d artist"... I think that ANYONE that run at least once one of your mods - jumped up from his chair and scream: Mom, please, I want to all of my Factorio looks the same beautiful as Yuoki's mods!!!
We wish that you draw it for us, Yuoki!!! We will happy to pay you! Please go draw to us Factorio of our dreams!!!
I don't believe that kovarex and his team didn't ever see your amazing buildings and trains and didn't wonder from insane quality of drawn graphics...
Tell us, tell us, Yuoki!!! Will you go and draw to us Factorio of our dreams as 3D-artist?..

Mooncat
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Mooncat »

nastyslave wrote:Version 2 is here!

All updated description and links in the first post. All graphics repacked again and now it's up to date!

As a bonus, here some magic script i've write to automate deep optimizing of PNG's by drag&drop. It uses pngquant+pingo and give a great results! See readme in it.

P.S. Hey, dear Yuoki, tell us please! As you know from last FFF-#164, that Factorio team is "Looking for 3d artist"... I think that ANYONE that run at least once one of your mods - jumped up from his chair and scream: Mom, please, I want to all of my Factorio looks the same beautiful as Yuoki's mods!!!
We wish that you draw it for us, Yuoki!!! We will happy to pay you! Please go draw to us Factorio of our dreams!!!
I don't believe that kovarex and his team didn't ever see your amazing buildings and trains and didn't wonder from insane quality of drawn graphics...
Tell us, tell us, Yuoki!!! Will you go and draw to us Factorio of our dreams as 3D-artist?..
Hi, nastyslave.
Thanks so much for the magic script! I have used it to compress the images in my Creative Mode and the result is amazing! After adding new sprites, the mod was 2.49MB. So I decided to compress the images, and now it is just 841KB! :D
Credit has been added. This deserves more attention!

YuokiTani
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by YuokiTani »

nastyslave wrote:P.S. Hey, dear Yuoki, tell us please! As you know from last FFF-#164, that Factorio team is "Looking for 3d artist"... I think that ANYONE that run at least once one of your mods - jumped up from his chair and scream: Mom, please, I want to all of my Factorio looks the same beautiful as Yuoki's mods!!!
no, i don't meet the requirements for a successful application.
but there is a little light ... if i'am correct reading FF - factorio has stopped adding new things and aim for release.
So it's possible to swap all vanilla-gfx in future without worrying about new version-changes. (i think this is the better solution - for people love vanilla-gfx or modded-gfx)

YuokiTani
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by YuokiTani »

I have used the script and programm for the current version of YI-Railways 0.4.15. (compressed from 161 -> 51 MB)
This allowed the upload to mods.factorio.com again.

Thank You very much for shareing this !

nastyslave
Inserter
Inserter

Post by nastyslave »

Sadly to write, but after verifying email adress on my dropbox - it DESTROY all of my shared links to pictures and zip-files!!! They somehow changed the rules of sharing for everyone and idn how to create direct links from there now. There is why ALL my pictures from above are now missing! Damn!!!

I simply wanted to update that magic script to latest versions of pngquant and pingo.

Here you are. Attached here. Without dropbox now.

PNG_optimizator_script_v3.zip contains:
pngquant is v2.8.1 here
pingo v0.73 used here.

Use it as always.
Attachments
PNG_optimizator_script_v3.zip
(777.01 KiB) Downloaded 286 times

YuokiTani
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by YuokiTani »

downloaded :)

Thanks for your support !

nastyslave
Inserter
Inserter

Post by nastyslave »

NEW WORD IN PNG-OPTIMIZATIONS!!! (V3 upd!)
ONE TOOL TO COMPRESS THEM ALL: PINGA.

Hello everybody and greetings to best modeler - Yuoki Tani! :)
It's your old friend, nastyslave, and I again come back with some great optimizations for your great graphics!

There are many times flow away from last time we doing the same job. But now we have a brandly new instrument for this. It's called "PINGA"!
https://css-ig.net/pinga
Performance of Pinga is totally AWESOME! It contains all previous pingo features, includes deep paletted optimizations, but now it have windows interface, works correctly with much files in any directory tree and it's natively multi-threaded!!! Go download that wonderful free program and use it for compress your mods!

I strongly recommend this program setting to get best (quality/size) results:
--> checked checkbox near [PNG]
--> Compression: Type - "lossy paletted" ; Level - "9"
--> Quality: -"v........."+ (first left position)

Believe me- don't afraid of this "lowest" quality settings! Pinga works _VERY_ softly to any png-images and all changes in output files are so minimal and almost not visible. When you're play - you don't see any difference at all. But filesize is reduced way more greatly!
Here you are images of original and compressed with this "lowest" settings to prove harmless of Pinga:

............................original...............................yi_alien_solar.png...................................... optimized
Image ............... Image
....................................180KB .................................................... --> .....to.............................. 33KB................. -81% filesize O_O !!!

You can manually reduce sizes of any of your mods, that contains graphics.
For comparison:

for Yuoki_0.6.72 -- from 73,5 MB -->to 13,4 MB! (by minus 81,7%!!!)
for yi_engines_0.6.27 -- from 42,1 MB -->to 7,36 MB (by minus 82,5%!!!)

Other uncompressed graphics from other mods like Bob's and Angel's shows the same wonderful results!

Also... I can't wait - and compressed ALL FACTORIO ingame png graphics! Result is again outstanding...
There are -445 Megabytes are saved. And now size of all my ingame graphics is ~195MB!
It loads way faster and works better for me:)))

YuokiTani
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Optimized GFX for Yuoki Mods (Oh,it's so lighter!) V3 upd!

Post by YuokiTani »

Thank You very much ! - Again :)

I used previous optimiser for all railway-models and some new other models. But now i should *pinga* all other gfx too :)

Next updates will use reduced img-sizes.

Return to “Yuoki Industries”