[1.0.0] Extremely difficult to set absolute grid reference on large blueprints so they line up correctly

Things that has been reported already before.
knightelite
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[1.0.0] Extremely difficult to set absolute grid reference on large blueprints so they line up correctly

Post by knightelite »

I have a large rail blueprint, which I have used a number of times in my base. I now find myself wanting to make a version of it with landfill underneath, but it needs to align to the same grid as the original blueprints. I've been having an extremely hard time lining them up correctly, for several reasons:
  • I can't really tell where the reference point is on the first blueprint, as the box is hard to see. I can see the corner of the box a little bit, but it is difficult to see. This essentially results in trial and error to set it correctly on the new one.
  • The bounding box is super hard to see at this size. If I could zoom in the blueprint it would be easier, but that isn't an option.
  • Dragging a box via its center when you can only see the edge (and only see the edge in other blueprints) makes finding the correct center location a lot harder.
I've made a video to show the problem. I made this video after about 10 minutes of frustration trying to line these up. For what it's worth, I did succeed in lining it up a few minutes after making the video.

I would suggest the following change:
  • Keep the current method of setting the reference
  • Add a text box that lists the coordinates of the absolute reference point, which is filled in by the current method.
  • Allow the reference point to be entered by typing into into the text box as well. This would allow it to be easily transferred from existing blueprints on the same grid, as you could just copy the coordinates from earlier blueprints set on that grid.
This has some overlap with this this thread, but the problem isn't exactly the same so I made this new one. I think the solution I've proposed would solve the issue in that case as well though.

Tealc.
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [1.0.0] Extremely difficult to set absolute grid reference on large blueprints so they line up correctly

Post by Tealc. »

+1 gets my vote. Something additional needs to be added. I have seen a few comments on this since the day after the BP update, biggest being to also have an additional temporary toggle for the absolute grid. So you can place a BP when you need to have it not aligned to the grid (one use case being for older worlds that aren't grid aligned).

I did find a workaround for my issue but it's still not great.

I see you did get it aligned in the end, but were you using a copy of the original BP with the reference point already set? I have to double check this but I would assume that if you make a copy of an existing BP that has the reference point already set it should be the same in the copy?

Then you could, using the update button drag that copy over the new area with the landfill and the copy BP should now have landfill added while still maintaining the orginal reference point.

Hexicube
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [1.0.0] Extremely difficult to set absolute grid reference on large blueprints so they line up correctly

Post by Hexicube »

Shower thought: What if you could set the reference point in-world by simply placing the blueprint, which would be particularly useful for blueprints that are designed to tile nicely with related blueprints already aligned in-world to some arbitrary point.

It could also have some way to specify that it should be the same as another blueprint, which also solves this particular issue.

knightelite
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by knightelite »

Hexicube wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:51 pm
Shower thought: What if you could set the reference point in-world by simply placing the blueprint, which would be particularly useful for blueprints that are designed to tile nicely with related blueprints already aligned in-world to some arbitrary point.

It could also have some way to specify that it should be the same as another blueprint, which also solves this particular issue.
I thought of this after making the initial bug report as well; this could be a really nice solution to the issue.
Tealc. wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:06 pm
I see you did get it aligned in the end, but were you using a copy of the original BP with the reference point already set? I have to double check this but I would assume that if you make a copy of an existing BP that has the reference point already set it should be the same in the copy?

Then you could, using the update button drag that copy over the new area with the landfill and the copy BP should now have landfill added while still maintaining the orginal reference point.
Absolute grid reference just embedded into the blue print from when you placed it.
I hadn't thought of doing it this way, so I'm not sure if it would work. What I did here was place the original blue print (in editor mode), use the terrain tool to replace all terrain around it with landfill, then enable smart collision using waterfill so only the landfill under entities would remain. Then I created a new blueprint of that, with "include tiles" set so that the landfill would be preserved.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Hello, this was fixed for the next release, for a reference I just link the first post related to it I encounted and moving this to duplicates.

Return to “Duplicates”