[0.17.33] Play on LAN - Multiple Instances wants not list up

Bugs that are actually features.
Skiper
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.17.33] Play on LAN - Multiple Instances wants not list up

Post by Skiper »

Hey, i was trying something out which consider me to start multiple Instances of Factorio. Then i was looking if all things goes right but when i started Factorio and check the Play on LAN - Browse Game - List there is an issue. I receive all Servers but they won't list.

I tested with my Steam Version which has a lot of mods included and also with DRM-Free which is always fresh to see if nothing else caused the Problem. It still happens.

See on the Videofile:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/upmu95rtwcckk ... 8.flv?dl=0

Greetings Skiper

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.17.33] Play on LAN - Multiple Instances wants not list up

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report. I've never seen that issue before.

I notice you're on linux: are you hosting all of the game instances on different ports? By default if you just copied the zip around (or launched the same binary multiple times) they're all using the same port. And on linux it's configured to "steal" the port if it's in use which might result in what you're seeing: each instance of the game sends its new information which updates the view but they're all on the same IP and port in the end.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

xiaoshui05
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by xiaoshui05 »

Rseding91 wrote: ↑
Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:19 pm

I notice you're on linux: are you hosting all of the game instances on different ports? By default if you just copied the zip around (or launched the same binary multiple times) they're all using the same port. And on linux it's configured to "steal" the port if it's in use which might result in what you're seeing: each instance of the game sends its new information which updates the view but they're all on the same IP and port in the end.
This happens when you use a script to enable multiple instances at the same time.I tried to solve this problem by suspending 5s between each instance startup.I hope the official can fix the problem.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

The official way to fix it is to set each instance to host on a different port. Each of them hosting on the same port is not supported.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Skiper
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Skiper »

Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:19 pm

Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:35 pm
by Rseding91 Β» 26 Apr 2019, 22:35

The official way to fix it is to set each instance to host on a different port. Each of them hosting on the same port is not supported.
No it's actually Win10 64-bit via Command Prompt. They all on different Ports you can also see it on the Video at the background, each Console has his own Title and there is also the Port. You can't Host on the same Port i tried to see what happens:

Code: Select all

2.489 Error ServerMultiplayerManager.cpp:92: MultiplayerManager failed: Host address is already in use
It will automatically close after that.

If i host the games to public, i don't have the issue, they working fine and i also can join each one.

This is my Command that's my Script giving me. 2 Instances to run on Windows on Port 34203 and 34204 for example (but with the same binary):

cmd /c start "Factorio Server - Instance: server2 -  Port: 34203 -  Version: 0.17.33" /d "D:\Servers\Factorio\servers\server2" cmd /c ""D:\Servers\Factorio\Factorio_0.17.33\bin\x64\factorio.exe" --port "34203" --start-server "saves\Save.zip" --server-settings "data\server-settings.json" --config "config\config.ini" --mod-directory "mods" --use-server-whitelist --server-whitelist "data\server-whitelist.json" --server-banlist "data\server-banlist.json""
cmd /c start "Factorio Server - Instance: server3 -  Port: 34204 -  Version: 0.17.33" /d "D:\Servers\Factorio\servers\server3" cmd /c ""D:\Servers\Factorio\Factorio_0.17.33\bin\x64\factorio.exe" --port "34204" --start-server "saves\Save.zip" --server-settings "data\server-settings.json" --config "config\config.ini" --mod-directory "mods" --use-server-whitelist --server-whitelist "data\server-whitelist.json" --server-banlist "data\server-banlist.json""
More about CMD and Start:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... mmands/cmd
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... ands/start

And here is also what i change in the config.ini:

[path]
read-data=__PATH__executable__\..\..\data
write-data=.\
You also have to realize that that i change the startup/work directory. Each Server start's in his own Directory which means they have there own config.ini, server-settings.json, etc.:
πŸ“Factorio Server
β””πŸ“servers
β €β””πŸ“server1
β €β €β””πŸ“config
β €β €β €β””πŸ“config.ini
β €β €β””πŸ“data
β €β €β €β””πŸ“server-settings.json
β €β €β””πŸ—„οΈSave.zip
β €β””πŸ“server2
β €β €β””πŸ“config
β €β €β €β””πŸ“config.ini
β €β €β””πŸ“data
β €β €β €β””πŸ“server-settings.json
β €β €β””πŸ—„οΈSave.zip

EDIT:
So i also made a test with 2 different Binaries, that works fine. Is it okay to have 2 Binaries at the same Folder or is there any Issue with that?

If you need more information about anything let me know.

ChickenCombo
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ChickenCombo »

Having the same issue when hosting multiple games on the same IP and checking the Play on LAN browser.
All games show up normally in the public server browser, but the play on LAN browser alternates between all the instances in the first slot same as in original video posted with this bug report.

The instances are hosted on different ports.
I am playing on the same machine that hosts these games.
Games hosted using headless standalone version.
Playing using steam version.

This bug does not happen if you wait a few seconds between launching the different instances.

This bug started around 10 sub-versions ago, so the 0.17.33 tag does make sense, but I didn't think to look up or post about it until today.

Thanks for your time!
Attachments
play on lan bug console output.PNG
play on lan bug console output.PNG (74.04 KiB) Viewed 2121 times

Return to β€œNot a bug”