[0.16.x] Mining Drill effects can't be disabled

Bugs that are actually features.
VortiK
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.16.x] Mining Drill effects can't be disabled

Post by VortiK »

Hello,

Following discussion in viewtopic.php?p=339365#p339365 I've made a prood of concept to show the following issue.

When "allowed_effects = nil" on Mining Drill type entities, effects are still applied and it is still possible to set modules in them.

However Furnace type entities when set "allowed_effets = nil" correctly don't have any effects applied. There is also an error on game start up that tells that having "allowed_effets = nil" and "module_specification = { module_slots = 2 }" greater than 0 is not allowed (see screenshot).
Also when setting nil effects on the mining drill, it is not openable anymore unless you also set module slots to 0.

Mining drill should work like furnace regarding the "allowing_effects = nil" behavior.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nhnxd7uz14eh ... 9V6ya?dl=0

You'll see attached a proof of concept of the issue with a small mod that duplicated mining-drill and furnace entities and change their "allowed_effects". I've also included a save file with this mod and a setup to show it with creative mod.

The feature in the mod request initially was about being able to disable effect transmission from beacon with a flag for exemple. Even with this bug on mining drill allowed_effects fixed, it will not be possible to remove transmission effects from beacon while keeping module inside the entity itself.
Attachments
error_furnace.PNG
error_furnace.PNG (18.53 KiB) Viewed 1339 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.16.x] Mining Drill effects can't be disabled

Post by Rseding91 »

The mining drill works differently in that when setting allowed_effects to nil it means "all". You have to set it to an empty table "allowed_effects = {}" if you want it to not support module effects.

Also you are correct in that you can't disable beacon effects. If an entity supports module effects it works with beacons - that's a hard coded limit of the game and isn't planned to be changed.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to “Not a bug”