[0.13.8] Mod save corruption + mod install duplicate/update not found

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

[0.13.8] Mod save corruption + mod install duplicate/update not found

Post by Qon »

It's several bugs in one here but they are related.

Maybe a bug 1: Some of my mods that are in the mod portal and my mod folder from 0.12.35 don't get autoupdated when I press check for updates. upgrade-planner, rso-mod, robotarmy are some examples.
Bug 2: When I then install those same mods from the in game mod portal manually the old mod version isn't deleted. But when I try to start Factorio the game complains at launch that I have duplicate mods. Removing the old version solves the mod name collision.
Bug 3, save corruption: If I try to load a 0.13 save file with these updated mods and enable or disable some mods the game crashes when trying to load my savefile. I'm not sure exactly what triggers this but:
  • Some mod I tried to enable and then I crashed when loading the save. When I disable the mod again I can load my save.
  • Another mod I tried to disable, but then I crashed when my save tries to load. When I enable the mod again I can load my save.
These crashes are to desktop with a prompt for sending you guys a log. Disabling mods causes the crash, so the save is somehow linked to the specific mod profile it was once saved with. And it can obviously not be the fault of a mod when the mod is disabled.

I have the save, the mod folder and the log. I'll PM it to any dev who wants it because I won't want to be public.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [0.13.8] Ingame mod installs duplicates + corrupts saves.

Post by Loewchen »

Save and mod-folder don't contain private information and in the log-file all that can be considered private are the directories, which you could edit.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Loewchen wrote:Save and mod-folder don't contain private information and in the log-file all that can be considered private are the directories, which you could edit.
I don't want to share my base with the community just yet because it's a WIP. I might be able to deconstruct my base and keep the bug intact but it's a maybe and some work.

Also since it might actually be illegal for me to report the bug properly, the fewer who know I broke their licence terms the better it is for me? ;)
Reporting the bug means sharing the save. Sharing the save means supplying my mod folder. Supplying the mod folder might break license terms. I can't check all the mods I've edited if I have permission to edit and share them. I have never heard of anyone with more mods than me and I'll make casual edits sometimes. Should I care about mod authors licensing terms? Should I care about the law? Should I break the law to report bugs?
This is weird.

DevilXD
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DevilXD »

Qon wrote:I don't want to share my base with the community just yet because it's a WIP. I might be able to deconstruct my base and keep the bug intact but it's a maybe and some work.

Also since it might actually be illegal for me to report the bug properly, the fewer who know I broke their licence terms the better it is for me? ;)
Reporting the bug means sharing the save. Sharing the save means supplying my mod folder. Supplying the mod folder might break license terms. I can't check all the mods I've edited if I have permission to edit and share them. I have never heard of anyone with more mods than me and I'll make casual edits sometimes. Should I care about mod authors licensing terms? Should I care about the law? Should I break the law to report bugs?
This is weird.
Lol, I understand that you don't want to share a save (although the title says that it's corrupted, so it wouldn't matter, because only devs have the proper tools to analyze/fix/load such a save, but whatever), but I don't understand your position about the mods.

Many mods have config.lua files included in them, or somehow they are configurable. If I want to play with another mod configuration and I edit some files to change the values, I'm breaking the license ? No, of course not, the license says (if it's that kind of license you're talking about) that you can't "share the same or slightly modified work SIGNED AS YOU DID IT". So, unless you changed the mod author or somehow took the credit, I don't see why you're hesitated...

I personally rewrote several mods myself, because they were really, I mean REALLY poorly written or unbalanced or sometimes didn't work properly when I wanted them to work, so I've "made" the same mods from scratch and now they're good. They just sit in my mods folder, I'm not publishing them anywhere, although I've been asked to do so several times when I was making a bug report.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

DevilXD wrote: Lol, I understand that you don't want to share a save (although the title says that it's corrupted, so it wouldn't matter, because only devs have the proper tools to analyze/fix/load such a save, but whatever), but I don't understand your position about the mods.
It's not corrupted so that is unloadable completely. With the exactly right mod configuration it is possible to load it. What I mean by corrupted is that factorio crashes to desktop when trying to load it without mods, which should never happen. But I had to revert to my 0.12.35 version of the save to make a non-corrupted save that I can play without the mods. And the thing that triggers the corruption is updating mods, so if you try to continue with the exact same configuration you could potentially end up in a situation where you can not update factorio (because then you can't load your mods) or any of your mods. So it "works" as it is now but it is still corrupted. Corrupted doesn't have to mean it is completely unopenable in any configuration, that's just a more severe form.
DevilXD wrote: Many mods have config.lua files included in them, or somehow they are configurable. If I want to play with another mod configuration and I edit some files to change the values, I'm breaking the license ? No, of course not, the license says (if it's that kind of license you're talking about) that you can't "share the same or slightly modified work SIGNED AS YOU DID IT". So, unless you changed the mod author or somehow took the credit, I don't see why you're hesitated...
But not everyone uses "that" license. Someone might use CC-BY-SA for example. SA = Share Alike: You may not share works that are modified in any way. Which means that even changing the settings in the config and then posting your mod folder would break the law. And I'm not just changing the config in some cases. And I can change mod author field for personal use of course. I don't think I have done it, and as long as I don't share it it is legal. But if I've done it and don't remember doing it in one of the mods then I may not share my mod folder. And with 100 mods I can't just go and check the license and checksum of each and every one of them, just a hassle.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Posting the mod folder is allowed, the mods are uploaded to our portal, so in the end we have the discretion to allow this, irrespective of any specific license,
And it would be a lot harder to diagnose the issue without the mod folder

It would be most helpful if you post the save here, but if not you can PM it to me or Rseding91 and we can take a look

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Klonan wrote:Posting the mod folder is allowed, the mods are uploaded to our portal, so in the end we have the discretion to allow this, irrespective of any specific license,
And it would be a lot harder to diagnose the issue without the mod folder
Where can I read more about your modding licensing rules?

Tried Uploading save+mods+crash log here but the archive is too large. Tried uploading mod and save as separate zips but I can't do that either. Managed to upload save only but can't post it because suddenly it's too large even after I have uploaded it successfully? "413 Request Entity Too Large nginx". I can't even delete it from my post without getting the server error. I'll have to make a new post...

I can't send it to you becasue of your file limitations and buggy forum software....
If you enable the BetterIcons mod the save will load. I don't think it matters what mods are disabled/enabled for the crash to trigger, I just chose BetterIcons to trigger the bug for you. It's not specific to that mod. I altered the save so it doesn't contain my WIP base but still triggers the crash.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Uploading to zippyshare instead since it handles files above 100MB.
Save
mods
log

Notable about the save is that I have performance issues with that save even with everything deconstructed. I think its the pollution cloud. I sent thousands of rockets in 0.12 with productivity modules and got pollution values of 425k which keeps many chunks active all the time which gives me UPS of 20 purely from pollution. Now it's down to 200k in 0.13 so I get UPS of 50-55 with everything deconstructed but it's silly that 90% of all computation goes to pollution. I can run megabases fine at 60 UPS until pollution goes up too high. Maybe you would like a separate report of that but since it's almost the same file I thought I'd mention it while uploading. Seems like I could send several rockets per minute at 60 UPS if pollution was disabled.
Pictures from 0.12.35
Oh, also the save loads if I completely empty out my mods folder, including the mods.json file. Haven't tested if you can get away with less. But If you are playing a modded game doing that could remove your entire base so it isn't really a solution for some people.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Qon wrote: Maybe a bug 1: Some of my mods that are in the mod portal and my mod folder from 0.12.35 don't get autoupdated when I press check for updates. upgrade-planner, rso-mod, robotarmy are some examples.
Bug 2: When I then install those same mods from the in game mod portal manually the old mod version isn't deleted. But when I try to start Factorio the game complains at launch that I have duplicate mods. Removing the old version solves the mod name collision.
More details on the first bugs mentioned.
This happened with rso-mod 1.5.5 in mods directory when installing from the in game mod portal.
Also happened with SUS mod 0.1.3, same thing.
Think it also happened with some other mods.

Attaching them in case of need.

The title of this thread might be a bit confusing becasue I had to shorten it to be able to post. Hope the post itself is clear enough.
Attachments
rso-mod_1.5.5.zip
(34.28 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
Satellite Uplink Station_0.1.3.zip
(605.33 KiB) Downloaded 104 times

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Thanks for the report,

I can report that the game does crash when i try to load the game

HanziQ
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by HanziQ »

I fixed a problem (for 0.13.14) with some mods not being updated with a large amount of mods installed, not exactly sure if this was the case.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

HanziQ wrote:I fixed a problem (for 0.13.14) with some mods not being updated with a large amount of mods installed, not exactly sure if this was the case.
Well I certainly had a large amount of mods. Thanks. Hope it solves my update problems.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”