[0.12.24] Intermittent MP server lag (modded/dedicated)

Bugs that are actually features.
tetryon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[0.12.24] Intermittent MP server lag (modded/dedicated)

Post by tetryon »

We're having an issue on this public server: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=15488 (It's has well known mods on it that have been in play, untouched for a week)

For the past couple of days, the server has exhibited a very slight amount of lag every half a second, then returns to normal.

Here's the troubleshooting/discovery to date:
  • * Every player has logged off to rule out player connections, leaving one person (different each time) to test.
    * Dedicated (Linux) server has a 700 Mb/s connection, with about 700 MB/2048 MB RAM. It also runs a vanilla factorio, which is not having any lagging issues.
    * Disk activity is minimal. CPU/RAM activity is normal.
    * Latency hiding setting has been tried at both 100ms and 200ms.
    * Factorio was restarted - same issue before and after.
    * Map download speed when joining the server is normal (although some users see a speed drop-off towards the end of the download).
    * Map is not terribly large.
I'm inclined to think it's a mod, doing something intensive every half a second.

The FPS/UPS is jumping up and down erratically. If I run, then the game noticeably lags for a split second, and the FPS/UPS drops down 4-5, and as it unlags a split second later, that goes back up. So I would guess there's a mod doing too much per frame/update.

I saved the map and loaded it in SP - same issue. I created a new map with the same mods active, and no issue. So I think it's a mod that only becomes active after a point.

With all that in mind, since I don't think it's Factorio base game,
a) is this the right place to post?
b) Can the devs offer any better troubleshooting techniques than eliminating half the mods at a time? (since some are dependent on others)
c) Has anyone seen this behavior with mods before?

Thanks!

tetryon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [0.12.24] Intermittent MP server lag (modded/dedicated)

Post by tetryon »

tetryon wrote:We're having an issue on this public server: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=15488 (It's has well known mods on it that have been in play, untouched for a week)

For the past couple of days, the server has exhibited a very slight amount of lag every half a second, then returns to normal.

Here's the troubleshooting/discovery to date:
  • * Every player has logged off to rule out player connections, leaving one person (different each time) to test.
    * Dedicated (Linux) server has a 700 Mb/s connection, with about 700 MB/2048 MB RAM. It also runs a vanilla factorio, which is not having any lagging issues.
    * Disk activity is minimal. CPU/RAM activity is normal.
    * Latency hiding setting has been tried at both 100ms and 200ms.
    * Factorio was restarted - same issue before and after.
    * Map download speed when joining the server is normal (although some users see a speed drop-off towards the end of the download).
    * Map is not terribly large.
I'm inclined to think it's a mod, doing something intensive every half a second.

The FPS/UPS is jumping up and down erratically. If I run, then the game noticeably lags for a split second, and the FPS/UPS drops down 4-5, and as it unlags a split second later, that goes back up. So I would guess there's a mod doing too much per frame/update.

I saved the map and loaded it in SP - same issue. I created a new map with the same mods active, and no issue. So I think it's a mod that only becomes active after a point.

With all that in mind, since I don't think it's Factorio base game,
a) is this the right place to post?
b) Can the devs offer any better troubleshooting techniques than eliminating half the mods at a time? (since some are dependent on others)
c) Has anyone seen this behavior with mods before?

Thanks!
I believe I have figured it out using a process of elimination with toggling mods on/off - and believe it to be advanced-logistics-system_0.2.10

I'll contact the author and see what he says.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

You can use the F4/F5 debug options to view timings. It will show what part of the game is taking up what amount of tick time. It also lists mods individually so you can see if a particular mod is taking up more time than the rest.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

tetryon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by tetryon »

Rseding91 wrote:You can use the F4/F5 debug options to view timings. It will show what part of the game is taking up what amount of tick time. It also lists mods individually so you can see if a particular mod is taking up more time than the rest.
Awesome.. thank you. And I confirmed using that technique and the toggling on/of that it's the advanced-logistics-system mod 0.12.20.

I let the author know.

viewtopic.php?f=92&t=14388&p=130401#p130401

Outsider
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Outsider »

Hey Tetryon,

I just released Version 0.2.12 that should fix the issues you guys were having, please let me know if you are still having performance drops, i'd also love to hear how is the mod performing when it's active with that many players as i haven't had a chance to test in multiplayer let alone on a server with lots of players.

Thanks, and sorry for the inconvenience ;)
Advanced Logistics System - Provides a detailed view of your logistics network and the items within it

Return to “Not a bug”