[1.1.105] Entire range of belt flipping direction unexpectedly while dragging

Post your bugs and problems so we can fix them.
thedoh
Inserter
Inserter

[1.1.105] Entire range of belt flipping direction unexpectedly while dragging

Post by thedoh »

This is a clip of the issue taking place in a completely vanilla setting in version 1.1.105. I've encountered plenty of smart belt issues in the past, but I've never seen this one.

Clip: https://youtube.com/clip/Ugkx76ZuTf1PRM ... ure=shared

I've attached a replay section of this happening (the full save can be provided if needed). I do not have any log file for this anymore. Sorry.

In description of what's happening in the clip:

I'm setting up the coal for power and smelting and drag a belt all the way from the right to left, and then re-drag the belt all the way from left to right over the same belt. This should have no functional change because the belt is already going in the correct direction, I am just preparing to turn the belt to swing up to the offset miner. When I try to make the turn, the belt I just dragged all reverses direction! Even the stuff that is way outside my reach.
Attachments
v105-belt reverse issue.zip
(14.74 MiB) Downloaded 17 times

AntiElitz
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [1.1.105] Entire range of belt flipping direction unexpectedly while dragging

Post by AntiElitz »

can confirm, i never saw this pre .105

xykite
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [1.1.105] Entire range of belt flipping direction unexpectedly while dragging

Post by xykite »

It looks like after you placed the long belt section, you kept the LMB pressed and tried to use smart dragging to rotate the belt on the RHS in order to join it to the 2-tile belt. However I think smart dragging is only meant to work from the last-placed belt, which is the one on the LHS in this case.

So after pressing R once, the game tries to plan a downwards section of belt from the LHS of the long belt, but you're too far away. After pressing R again, the belt direction changes from R to L, the double snap dragging range takes effect (111989; I don't understand this well enough to tell you why the increased range doesn't apply before the second rotate) and the flip happens.

Here are a set of steps equivalent to what I think you did, looking at your video.
  • Do something to set snap dragging range to 20, e.g. build a belt over the top of another.
  • Pick up some belts and rotate so they're facing right.
  • Drag mouse right-to-left to place a section of belt backwards, length approx 30. Keep LMB pressed.
  • Move the player so that your horizontal position is approx 10 tiles from the right of the belt.
  • Carefully move the cursor to the RHS end of the belt (don't go over the edge).
  • Move the cursor up 1 tile
  • Press R twice
This constructs a backwards section of belt from the LHS with 180-degree rotation from the original belt. You're within double crafting range (20 tiles) of the LHS of the belt, so they all change direction at once.

So while this looks weird, I'm not sure whether or not it's a bug. I can repro it in 1.1.86 (the earliest available version of 1.1.x).

Svip
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Svip »

xykite wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:41 am
So while this looks weird, I'm not sure whether or not it's a bug. I can repro it in 1.1.86 (the earliest available version of 1.1.x).
If you go to this page, you can also download 1.1.42. Or 0.6.4 if you feel so inclined.

Return to “Bug Reports”